• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired AE Light AEX25 25 watt HID "Handheld Searchlight" PRICE DROP 3/6/2021

RickB

Newly Enlightened
AE Light AEX25 25 watt HID "Handheld Searchlight" PRICE DROP 4/18/2021

Hi all, I have an AE Light AEX25 HID "Handheld Searchlight" for sale. I purchased it from a fellow forum member in 2007 and it has sat on the shelf almost unused since then. I need to clear out some space, so I'm putting it up for sale.

The battery took a charge and the light works as expected. As far as I can tell it is in nearly perfect new condition, with maybe about 20 to 30 minutes of runtime, tops. Cosmetically the only thing I can see that's not new looking are the rubber parts, which have a powdery-looking patina. I think some automotive rubber dressing would probably clear that up.

Includes the case, light and battery, A/C charger, carrying strap, lens cloth, manual, and warranty card (everything it's supposed to come with new).

Specifications copied from manufacturer website:

25W HID Metal Halide
Lumens: 1500±
Projection distance: Up to 3000 ft
Color Temperature: 6500K±
Run time: 120 minutes w/4000mAh battery
Length: 13.5 in., 343mm
Weight: 32oz., 907gm.
Light head: 3 in., 76.2mm
Handgrip: 1.5 in., 38mm
Battery: Rechargeable 4000mAh Lithium Ion,
Power Switch: Push-button on/off
Beam: 12deg. fixed
Rating: IP67 (Water resistant to 2 meters limited duration)
*IP68 (Totally protected against dust and protected against long periods of immersion under pressure). (*With waterproof battery) [ PLEASE NOTE: This light does not include the waterproof battery! ]
Light body: Black hard-anodized aluminum
Charger: 100/240VAC 50/60Hz & Optional DC 12-24VDC w/overcharge protection, LED indicator
The light is still offered for sale from AE Light as well as a few online resellers. For more information about the light, see those websites.

Offering mine for sale for $200 as of 4/18/2021 (was $400), including shipping via USPS Priority or UPS Ground. Payment via PayPal is preferred.

Let me know if I can answer any questions about the light. Thanks for looking!

HbCf5LT.jpg

IjNwn5N.jpg
HQNnlAc.jpg

Last edited:

RickB

Newly Enlightened
Re: AE Light AEX25 25 watt HID "Handheld Searchlight"

Just popping in to add a totally non-scientific, just-for-fun rainy beamshot I took when I got the light out, charged it up, and tested it out.

Yrb0waf.jpg

RickB

Newly Enlightened

Hi again! I'm not getting any action on this offering and I'm not sure why.

• Is it that HID is old news/old tech? I had hoped that there would still be some HID enthusiasts or collectors who would be interested in this light.
  • Concern about the age of the light? I've barely used it, so the lamp should have a lot of life left. The body is brand-new, no scratches or scuffs, etc. I could see concern about the age of the battery, but new batteries are for sale at the manufacturer and other places.
  • Have I got it priced wrong? It's available new, both from the manufacturer and various resellers, for prices ranging from about $500 to $530 or so. Given that this light is basically like new and comes with all the accessories, I felt $400 shipped would be fair. But maybe not?

I'm going to reduce the price to $350. Please let me know if you're interested in this light or have feedback about my thinking here. Thanks!

Trenchant

Newly Enlightened

Bump ... for the effort you've taken to explain the product well, ask for input and adjust your pricing as you see fit :thumbsup:. GLWS.

jonathanluu2

Newly Enlightened

I'll admit, I was perusing this sub-forum more for a headlamp than a searchlight, but my guess would be that the slow action on this is more because of your first bullet point than the second. You can get a pretty decent LED searchlight with higher output, throw, and runtime for less $$, and in a smaller form factor. This is me personally now: having an interchangeable generic battery that can be swapped out, discarded/replaced inexpensively, and charged by a known charging algorithm is also preferred, and eliminates a leak potential in the light body.

I will also admit that there are other reasons to stick with an HID light, and I am sure there is some interest in the HID enthusiast camp, I just wanted to point out some thoughts from the LED camp. Best of luck!

RickB

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the feedback. I'm seeing now that HIDs in this wattage/brightness category are outclassed by LED lights in most measures these days. At least the HID lights don't have the "turbo" situation I see a lot of folks grousing about--they won't get hot and step down the output. (Although I imagine there are probably LED lights that can do 1500 lumens continuous for around 2 hours, like this light?)

One aspect of this light that might appeal for some use cases is its simplicity--it's just a single-mode, push the switch and it's on at full brightness (after a short warm-up). No goofing around with multiple switches, multiple clicks, etc. I do recognize that multi-mode lights have a lot of value for people too, so I'm not throwing shade on that, just saying simple is good for some situations.

So anyway, all things considered, it's clear I'll need to drop the price again if I want to move this light. Let's go with $275 shipped. At that price you could buy a new battery and still be well below the price for a new light from the manufacturer, for what that's worth...

Thanks to all for your interest and input!

RickB

Newly Enlightened

[ Hopefully it's okay to bump this thread now that my supporter subscription is lapsed. My reading of the terms is that is it okay, but if it's not, mods feel free to edit/delete. ]

Another month past and I'm still looking at this light and wanting it gone... I've been reluctant to drop the price more, but am coming around to the point of view that some money in my pocket and an empty shelf is better than no money in my pocket and this light that I don't use cluttering up my shelf.

So, I'll try a new price: $200 shipped. Or, I guess if you've been following along since December and have some interest in this light, send me what you think is a fair offer and I'll consider it.

Note that if I can't sell this light for a decent amount, I'm thinking I'll be happier just donating it to a local wildland firefighting crew or something, so don't pitch that lowball offer too low!

Thanks again all for the interest and posts!