The just-new Fenix BC30 V2.0 bike light

OldmanRon

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys,

I believe that one of these new Fenix BC30 V2.0 bike lights in "in the mail" to me, and was wondering if anyone else has received theirs yet ... and if so, what they thought of it.

Many thanks!

OldmanRon

Newly Enlightened
The light arrived about a week ago, and I couldn't be happier ... superb build-construction ... everything works as advertised ... I believe that it is all that "most people" would ever need. Best of all ... it gave me the famous "Wranglerstar Fizz" ...

Plus, it'll make an excellent flashlight when it's not being used on the bike.

OldmanRon

Newly Enlightened
Another member PM'd me for a bit more info re: my first impressions. I replied to him, and figured that I might as well post it here as well ...

**************************************​

Everything about this bike light impresses me. In the last seven or eight years I've bought several Fenix flashlights and headlamps (many as gifts for friends) and have never been disappointed or had a bad experience. I was naturally curious about what their newly-redesigned top-level bike light would be like. It's is important to note that this is a freshly tweaked V2 (as in Version two) of the original B30 design that's been around for SIX years. Think about that.

It might not be bright enough for the gonzo overnight endurance racer charging full-tilt down some hairy rock-strewn goat track in the Khyber Pass ... but for normal night-time trail riding and street riding day-or-night ... it's the cat's ***. The huge battery reserve makes using the flash feature a no-brainer default decision even at high noon ... one more way of alerting that Little Old Blue-Haired Lady in the Town Car that you *are* on the road with her.

The little wireless (Bluetooth) remote button on the handlebar actually does "fall readily-to-hand" if you ever feel the need to trigger a 2200 lumen 30-second blast down the road or alley or pathway. Or just ****-off somebody ...

Basically I am saying to just read the specs and product blurb. It's all true. There is a whack of the very latest technology packed into that solid little package. I love its heft. Imagine the difference between your run-of-the-mill stainless-steel Rolex Daytona, and Marc Frankel's subtle white-gold Daytona ... the one with the gorgeous blue dial.

My new headlight is handlebar-mounted on my equally-new lithe little RadPower Radmission E-bike, and I appreciate its minimalist presence on this uncluttered minimalist bike. No dumb-*** dog-carrier on this puppy ...

I got an image to maintain.

Rechargeable 18650 batteries are fer-sure the way to go. And (as I have already said) when this new BC30 is not on my bike it'll make a helluva good flashlight ... as if I need yet another flashlight ... 😉

Last edited:

DougL

Newly Enlightened
I've been reading a number of reviews of this light from various places and there seems to be a downside to the upgrade in that now that the 18650s are easier to remove from the new holder, the light turns off at the most inopportune times such as when going over bumps or uneven ground. I suspect this is because since the cells are no longer so tight in the holder, the connection is being lost and the light then goes out. I wonder if sticking a suitably sized washer at the tail end of each 18650 within the holder would make the connection more snug and solve the problem. Any thoughts on this?
Also, does anyone know how far the remote switch can be from the lamp and still operate it?

OldmanRon

Newly Enlightened
I've been reading a number of reviews of this light from various places and there seems to be a downside to the upgrade in that now that the 18650s are easier to remove from the new holder, the light turns off at the most inopportune times such as when going over bumps or uneven ground. I suspect this is because since the cells are no longer so tight in the holder, the connection is being lost and the light then goes out. I wonder if sticking a suitably sized washer at the tail end of each 18650 within the holder would make the connection more snug and solve the problem. Any thoughts on this?
Also, does anyone know how far the remote switch can be from the lamp and still operate it?

Hi Doug,

I can't comment on the issue of the light going dark on bumpy terrain ... I don't have much reason (so far, anyways) to ride at night. Right now, it's main purpose is to make me more visible in busy urban settings during daylight hours.

The remote switch is Bluetooth technology ... which is designed (intentionally) with an approximate maximum range of 10 metres (or 33'). I'll test mine within an hour and let you know.

EDIT: The Bluetooth remote switch was still working great at 15 metres ... which was pretty awesome. It would be great for doing parlour tricks and amazing/surprising your buddies ... but you gotta remember that headlight itself has to be turned-on manually first. It cannot be turned on ... like magic ... with the remote.

Would you (please) direct me to those online reviews that you mentioned? I haven't found many actual user-based reviews ... kind of odd ...

Thanks!

Last edited: