Olight and Olight’s Warrior Mini

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember when Olight hit the scene and David helped to introduce them to the American market. I purchased a number of their lights and have been very satisfied with them... output, runtime, user interface, optics etc. are all very nice and they have been for quite some time...

But...

...Their Warrior Mini is next level good. I can think of things to improve it but right now, as it stands, it is just marvelous.

The tail-cap operation of being able to access constant or momentary of two levels is stellar. The optic makes the beam more useful for outdoor or daytime work than the wider spread of the Baton Pro. The clip works like a champ. The tail cap charging is fast and easy... the design is also quite fantastic.

It is a winner and a must have light... in Goatee's humble opinion.

Now... Olight... are you hearing me? The following changes will make it perfect and you will be able to do most of these... here goes:

1. Change the levels on the tail-cap so that a soft press is either ultra low or around 15 lumens... tail-cap switches should always allow full output (so keep the turbo setting for a full press) but they should, if a second option is available, be on the other end of the spectrum... low.

2. Find a way to get anodizing that is as superb as Surefires... the finish on Surefires is just next level and makes a difference... to me at least.

3. Offer a high CRI option.

4. Make it compatible with 2 x CR123's and advertise it as dual fuel capable or something of the sort.

No other changes are necessary. It is a winner as it is and you should be proud of your work... take my advice and it will be a perfect winner[emoji109]

Goatee has spoken... so let it be written...

Last edited:

Lateck

Newly Enlightened
Re: Olight and Olight's Mini

Ya, which Mini.
I love my Olights just the way they are. That's why I buy them.

Flashlight Enthusiast

I added a clarification. I'm thinking of the Warrior Mini[emoji109]

Thank you for catching that!

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast

Warrior Mini

glad you like it
looks nice
but I no longer buy Low CRI lights that cannot be modified

be careful ;-)

another light you might enjoy is the Emissar D4.. similar battery size, also uses a sideswitch, and it does have High CRI options.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well the one thing I disagree with is the changing of the 1st stage of the tailswitch. Partly.

I do think that what would be awesome is if they added another mode that included the low (15 lumen) for the initial press, but also keep the option of the 200 lumen setting and the strobe setting.

Also Olight, make a version that uses a standard 18650 instead of your customized version and also has a non-magnetic tail switch. Like the M2T. Which I also own.

I don't mind having to remove the cell from the light to recharge it, especially if that also means I can use any of the dozen or so 18650s I happen to have on hand to power it. Seriously, KNOCK IT OFF with the proprietary customized cells!

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't mind having to remove the cell from the light to recharge it, especially if that also means I can use any of the dozen or so 18650s I happen to have on hand to power it.

I think you CAN use normal 18650 to power the light, you just cant use the light to charge normal 18650 (that cost less)...

I dont own the light and have not read the manual, you should verify my opinion before acting on it. FWIW, Im guessing the olight is using a protected cell.. if so, note the risk and responsibility if you choose an Unprotected alternative..

can of worms, LiIon is
drive responsibly

I do use Unprotected LiIon myself,
I actively monitor voltage, and brightness, to prevent overdischarge

I like that better than sudden darkness, when a Protected battery trips

but the Olight magnetic charge system is targetting a different market.. and is very convenient..

as far as the dual button and their functions.. well.. too much for me to think about it, but, if you like it, have fun with the options :)

I still think the Olight is a good looking light, with a good beam, a good UI, and an all in one charging system, making it a good one stop shop for a working LiIon light package

choices are good

Last edited:

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I do own the light and have tested it to discover that no, a standard 18650 does not power the Olight Warrior Mini. I have accepted it for what it is but if I could get them to make one that DOES work with standard cells I would rather have that.

I guess there have been enough people here who talk about lights that they don't own as though they do that one questions any comment about a lights functionality immediately, I dunno...I try to only talk about the ones I own in detail.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess there have been enough people here who talk about lights that they don't own as though they do that one questions any comment about a lights functionality immediately, I dunno...I try to only talk about the ones I own in detail.

Smart. Very smart.

Edit: My comment above is made in general and in response to your quoted comment. It is not specifically related to other posts in this particular thread, but rather to my general observations on this and other forums.

Last edited:

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just tried a couple of different cells in mine. Yep, won't work without special Olight cell. Not sure I'd have bought it knowing that.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just tried a couple of different cells in mine. Yep, won't work without special Olight cell. Not sure I'd have bought it knowing that.

And if that's true, and it wasn't reflected in the factory documentation for the light, that's yet another reason I wouldn't buy one. That said, I am (unusually for the flashaholic ranks) not completely opposed to a manufacturer selling a light including a required bespoke (specific) cell in order to provide a good 'system solution' to ensure good performance and safe operation by most users in the larger general consumer market. I understand that. Then again, I do work in the electronics industry and my perspective is biased by that.

On an somewhat unrelated note, I do have concerns about their rather checkered past with respect to exposed potentials (voltage capable of sourcing significant current) on their charging connection(s) of some of their lights with on-board charging, along with unintended activations related to those contacts. I'm not OK with that. By the way, in all fairness, my remark about that last issue is based somewhat on conjecture and past testimony and may be resolved in newer models, but I wouldn't buy one without first verifying that is the case.

Last edited:
Well I do own the light and have tested it to discover that no, a standard 18650 does not power the Olight Warrior Mini. I have accepted it for what it is but if I could get them to make one that DOES work with standard cells I would rather have that.

The tail button has caused them to require their cell which has both positive and negative connections on the top of the cell. Otherwise when you turned the connection off at the tail cap the light wouldn't have (-) power and couldn't be lit with the side button. The cell (-) connection to the light's body is now used for signaling and not to supply power.

On the same subject, check out the Nitecore i4000R. It has both (-) and (+) connections at both ends of the cell so that one end can power the light, the other end can power things like their TSL10i tail cap.

be careful ;-)

Well, as I just wrote in a post elsewhere here, the Olights with side & tail-buttons (those that have both) use the tail button's connection of the cell (-) to the light body for signaling. It is not a power connection, both (+) and (-) come from the top end of the cell.

And this same signalling function is used with a magnetically attached remote switch. Shorting the button to the ring around it will turn the light on, just as if you did a full-press of the button.

And they have -- we have? -- found that loose change in your pocket can make this connection, and the light will turn on and you will have jeans flambé.

So Olight just wrote everyone:
Dear Customers,
Recently we have received numerous reports of warrior mini lens being burned out due to misuse. We realized that a lot of people are not used to using lockout mode or dont know how to lock it at all; If you don't lock it when the Warrior Mini is in your pocket , there is a certain probability that it will be triggered when the pocket has metal or other conductors present or its switch may get pressed (this will be optimized in future product design)
The warrior mini is super bright (yes, we are breaking out the technicial terms ) with a very small head size, causing the energy of the beam to focus quickly and produce a lot of heat . If the flashlight lens is not blocked (normal use), then the warrior mini is your best EDC companion. It's so small and delicate , easy to use and extremely bright ! However, it can be embarrassing when the flashlight lens is covered by clothing and turns on unnoticed (Yes it may turn on and burn a hole in your pants or melt the lens).
Due to these cases of lens melting and burnt clothing, we are deeply concerned and we must pay great attention to this matter before it causes more damage. In order to effectively reduce the inconvenience and possible risks brought by the Warrior Mini, and after full and careful discussion we have decided we need to stand behind our responsibilities for our fans.
Here is the solution we have come up with
1.If you are not used or can not use the product's lockout function, It may cause trouble ! Please stop using it . We will start a refund and return process in very soon ( a small program needs to be developed) . We will bear all shipping charges of this program.
2.If you are not satisfied with your Warrior Mini then you can return it for a full refund once we start the return program , at our cost.
3. If you like and can continue to use your Warrior Mini properly , you can choose to keep it and enjoy it . This would help Olight immensely !Those who keep it will receive a free pair of silicone gel wraps for the tail switch ( 1 per Warrior Mini you keep). These will help to reduce the probability of the Warrior Mini being turned on by mistake. You will also receive a special edition Obulb (1 per Warrior Mini keep) to express our gratitude. All of the shipping for this program will be paid by Olight.
4.If you received your Warrior Mini as a gift or bought it from somewhere other than Olightstore.com, we will make sure you are taken care of. More details for all of this will be released once the program has been fully designed.

Olight will stand behind the Warrior Mini worldwide, stayed tuned for more detailed information regarding how to complete this process.
Olightstore.com will begin to open the channel for you to get a refund/ return or claim your free silicone gel protector and special version Obulb in 2 weeks. Please pay attention to our official social media and email for more details .We are sorry for these inconveniences . Thank you for your understanding and support !
Happy New Year !

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, as I just wrote in a post elsewhere here, the Olights with side & tail-buttons (those that have both) use the tail button's connection of the cell (-) to the light body for signaling. It is not a power connection, both (+) and (-) come from the top end of the cell.

And this same signalling function is used with a magnetically attached remote switch. Shorting the button to the ring around it will turn the light on, just as if you did a full-press of the button.

And they have -- we have? -- found that loose change in your pocket can make this connection, and the light will turn on and you will have jeans flambé.

So Olight just wrote everyone:
Dear Customers,
Recently we have received numerous reports of warrior mini lens being burned out due to misuse. We realized that a lot of people are not used to using lockout mode or dont know how to lock it at all; If you don't lock it when the Warrior Mini is in your pocket , there is a certain probability that it will be triggered when the pocket has metal or other conductors present or its switch may get pressed (this will be optimized in future product design)
The warrior mini is super bright (yes, we are breaking out the technicial terms ) with a very small head size, causing the energy of the beam to focus quickly and produce a lot of heat . If the flashlight lens is not blocked (normal use), then the warrior mini is your best EDC companion. It's so small and delicate , easy to use and extremely bright ! However, it can be embarrassing when the flashlight lens is covered by clothing and turns on unnoticed (Yes it may turn on and burn a hole in your pants or melt the lens).
Due to these cases of lens melting and burnt clothing, we are deeply concerned and we must pay great attention to this matter before it causes more damage. In order to effectively reduce the inconvenience and possible risks brought by the Warrior Mini, and after full and careful discussion we have decided we need to stand behind our responsibilities for our fans.
Here is the solution we have come up with
1.If you are not used or can not use the product's lockout function, It may cause trouble ! Please stop using it . We will start a refund and return process in very soon ( a small program needs to be developed) . We will bear all shipping charges of this program.
2.If you are not satisfied with your Warrior Mini then you can return it for a full refund once we start the return program , at our cost.
3. If you like and can continue to use your Warrior Mini properly , you can choose to keep it and enjoy it . This would help Olight immensely !Those who keep it will receive a free pair of silicone gel wraps for the tail switch ( 1 per Warrior Mini you keep). These will help to reduce the probability of the Warrior Mini being turned on by mistake. You will also receive a special edition Obulb (1 per Warrior Mini keep) to express our gratitude. All of the shipping for this program will be paid by Olight.
4.If you received your Warrior Mini as a gift or bought it from somewhere other than Olightstore.com, we will make sure you are taken care of. More details for all of this will be released once the program has been fully designed.

Olight will stand behind the Warrior Mini worldwide, stayed tuned for more detailed information regarding how to complete this process.
Olightstore.com will begin to open the channel for you to get a refund/ return or claim your free silicone gel protector and special version Obulb in 2 weeks. Please pay attention to our official social media and email for more details .We are sorry for these inconveniences . Thank you for your understanding and support !
Happy New Year !

Very interesting! Thank you for sharing!

what exactly is the problem? I'm not able to replicate it by pressing a coin or knife blade against the tail cap.

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast

what exactly is the problem?

the tailswitch is getting pressed and the light is turning on at a high brightness level

since the clip is bezel up, that puts the tail button inside a pocket, where it can be pressed on accidentally

I dont think it is a short circuit, just a press

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast

the tailswitch is getting pressed and the light is turning on at a high brightness level

since the clip is bezel up, that puts the tail button inside a pocket, where it can be pressed on accidentally

I dont think it is a short circuit, just a press

Got it. That makes sense. Thank you.

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast

It is not just accidental pressing of the tailcap. It can turn on even if the tailcap touches a conductive material in your pocket (coins, keys,...).
That's why Olight will distribute silicone covers for the tailcap.

Quote:
"Moreover, Olight's engineer acknowledged that Warrior Mini might also potentially turned-ON by itself if the tail-switch comes in contact with conductive metal objects, thus, the engineer advises when pocket/bag-carry the Warrior Mini, engage the Electronic Lockout for safety reason."
https://budgetlightforum.com/node/74754

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast

It is not just accidental pressing of the tailcap. It can turn on even if the tailcap touches a conductive material in your pocket (coins, keys,...).

ok, thanks

maybe goatee just needs proper training: lol

I'm not able to replicate it by pressing a coin or knife blade against the tail cap.

Last edited:

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ah, sorry I didn't notice this comment :). Maybe it's not a short circuit but more like the conductive material can create a signal that is interpreted as power on (these lighs have electronic switches - there is always some current flowing through). Some electronic switches can.be triggered by electrostatic energy.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
On an somewhat unrelated note, I do have concerns about their rather checkered past with respect to exposed potentials (voltage capable of sourcing significant current) on their charging connection(s) of some of their lights with on-board charging, along with unintended activations related to those contacts. I'm not OK with that. By the way, in all fairness, my remark about that last issue is based somewhat on conjecture and past testimony and may be resolved in newer models, but I wouldn't buy one without first verifying that is the case.

My use of the plural 'lights' was intentional. This bad engineering did not start with this model. I understand that it began some time ago with a headlamp (as I recall), and affects more than one model.

My comment that this bad engineering "may be resolved in newer models" is evidently not the case (based upon OL's own 'damage control' communication quoted in an above post). I believe this is a fairly recent product release (please correct me if that's not the case). There was a very similar 'damage control' communication from OL copied in a post about one of those earlier models, which took the same tone of 'we did nothing wrong, but promise to fix what we didn't do wrong' (which is of course lawyer speak).

Anyone interested in this can find more info regarding this ongoing saga than they'll ever want to read with a quick Internet search. It's been fairly widely and well documented, including on CPF. In the past it also involved heating of metallic elements which were creating the 'short' circuit, in addition to 'unintended activation' of lights. I quit reading the stuff long ago (until this thread) because I've read enough, and "Frankly my dear, ......"

There's an old saying about 'a word to the wise' which applies here.

Last edited: