Jetbeam        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: P60 Xenon lamp module, spare bulbs?

Default Re: P60 Xenon lamp module, spare bulbs?

Thank you, that was a really kind thought non the less!

Flashaholic*

Iím just scared to ship something at that cost and it get ďlostĒ in customs. Iíve had that happen a few times and it never gets easy to accept haha
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine Alicia View Post
    ...So I need to get a "twisty" then (whatever tha is LOL)?
    The following is a list of Surefire tailcaps:
    https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...es-with-IMAGES

The Z41 (BK or HA), and Z42, Z43, Z44, and Z45 are the "twisty" tailcaps for the C/P/Z/G series.

The Z52, Z53, and Z54 are the "twisty" tailcaps for the E-series, and are generally much harder to find these days.

Watch out for the clones on the Bay. Some of their dimensions are quite sloppy.

[Edit: I forgot to mention the parts that Mark of Lumens Factory produces to support discontinued Surefires.]
    Last edited by novice; 01-03-2021 at 04:46 PM.

Flashaholic

possibly, but all the ones I`v seen are waaaay too expensive, even second hand, and Usually from the states so I have to pay a load of import tax as well
    I've seen a couple of Surefires sell on eBay in the last couple of weeks for about £30 (UK sellers) I'll admit to being quite surprised by that as I paid more than twice that for my second hand combatlight about 15 years ago.

Surefire have never really made any effort at all to sell to the UK market and for that reason I find it hard to get excited about them.

Well built but a bit underwhelming performance wise.

Just before posting this I took out the LED drop in and replaced it with the High Output incandescent module. It wasn't nearly as bright as I remembered it being.... Nor was the beam as nice as a well set up floody warm high CRI LED (Although that could be an age thing, t'was a 15 year old bulb after all)

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk
    Shine on, shine a light on me. Like a glittering prize I saw you upon a clear day.

Looks like Lumens Factory still sells P60 type incan modules on their website. In the Category menu, go to Lamp Module, SureFire Compatible, D26 series. They are listed by voltage (4, 6, 9). The "4" is a 3.7 volt bulb for a single lithium ion battery.

I bought two of the EO4 modules years ago back when Lighthound was still in business and selling a bunch of Lumens Factory stuff.

By the way, I've heard that high-pressure gas bulbs such as P60s can be a real eye hazard when they pop, so put on some eye protection before messing with them, if anyone is thinking of trying to R&R the bulb itself.

( edit: Dang, I found the screenshot of my EO-4 purchase... it was in 2009! Hard to believe it was that far back. I did notice that the Lumens Factory site's price for the bulb is still the same as what I paid back then (14.99) so kudos to them! )
    Last edited by Stress_Test; 01-03-2021 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jross20 View Post
    Agreed, I really wish more people saw it this way. LEDs don't last forever...

By chance could you get an older p60?
    Well they last longer than any gas filled glass bulb I've ever used...

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by lightfooted View Post
    Well they last longer than any gas filled glass bulb I've ever used...
    With my soldering skills I can break an LED before it ever receives any current

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk
    Shine on, shine a light on me. Like a glittering prize I saw you upon a clear day.

to be honest I`m not really interested in putting any LED drop-ins in there, I have dozens of LED lights already, but in the winter I really want/need Incan lights, the Brightest I have at the moment is a 5D light with a 6v 1A bulb in it, and the next brightest has a 7.2v 600ma Krypton bulb powered by 2 protected 16340 cells in a small 1960`s light that used to take No#8 batteries. yes it`s a bit lame compared to todays LEDs in terms of beam profile and output, but it`s still 100CRI

I`m wondering if I can bypas the tail switch entirely and turn it into a twisty? I`m reluctant to buy Anything from outside the UK now that .GOV greed has spoiled everything in terms of sales tax and import tax, so I figured a DIY approach may be the best way to go for a while.

Flashaholic

Back in the day, I rebuilt a number of P60 lamp modules.
    I used a 4.8 volt 0.5 amp mini bi pin halogen bulb to which I soldered two wires several inches long. I broke out the original bulb, lit the new one dimly from an external battery, and fixed it in place with epoxy putty.
    The exact position of the bulb could be adjusted before the epoxy cured, to obtain a good beam pattern.
    I then cut the wires short and soldered them to the springs.

Reduced light but extended run time.

The bulbs that I used are now less available

Epoxy Putty is a great idea, stiff enough to hold the bulb in focus while it sets.
    P
    "O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!" He chortled in his joy.

I`v used that stuff before on a few things, it`s great. Normally I use super glue and Bicarb with GITD power in it, but the putty will be a better idea I think.
    I bought some ceramic G4 sockets the other day, they have an 8mm OD, I`d don`t know if they`ll fit one of these modules after the old bulb has been drilled out because I`v not seen one up close yet, but I`m hoping they will

i'm still looking for oem SF G3 module, no luck so far

I would agree with what others have said. I donít use incandescent lights like I did before the big LED shift. But when I did a SF P60 would last me 4-5 months easy. With just a few spares you would be good for years.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

I do tend to use LED lights a lot more than before especialy for certain jobs, but in the Winter indoors I prefer almost exclusively Incan lights, I still use them in the summer months for reading at night though, to be honest it`s purely out of curiosity that I bought a couple P60s because I wanted to see what more Modern incans were like, I didn`t really get past the early 1980s in terms of incan tech, even then I reverted back to 60`s 70`s tech and just upgraded the batts and bulbs as an when I could.
    Last edited by Katherine Alicia; 01-10-2021 at 07:26 AM.

Update:
    My Lithium iron phosphate batts arrived today (I`m still waiting for the charger) they came fully charged, so I tried a pair of them in a light with a 6v 500ma bulb and it works perfectly, nothing flashed at all! so it looks like I`ll probably be OK with 6v modules now, I just have to remember to let them stand for a good while after charging, which is fine because I bought 4 of them.

Further update:

Some potentially good news, it turns out that Some of these modules come apart quite easily! the big spring comes off and then the brass base unscrews from the Alu reflector part, in the brass part the bulb itself is half inside a hole drilled into it with a small clear rubber ring around that to stop the bulb from wiggling about. the hole the bulb is inside is the Exact diametar of these G4 ceramic bulb holders I bought!
    it`ll need the threaded side of the reflector filing down a bit so the threads catch earlier and some cleaning out of the old bulb and stuff in the brass part, but it`s looking really doable right now!

That is all. (for now)

Quote Originally Posted by alpg88 View Post
    I haven't read this thread thoroughly, but what are you referring to, a P90? That's what came in the SF G3 incan model.

You can still order MN03's and P60's from Surefire direct, but that's it.
    ampdude

Quote Originally Posted by ampdude View Post
    I haven't read this thread thoroughly, but what are you referring to, a P90? That's what came in the SF G3 incan model.

You can still order MN03's and P60's from Surefire direct, but that's it.
    i looked them up first, they only sell 60lm p60 6v and 60lm 6v mn03, which is just a bulb, looks like for old e2. no 9v 105lm module available i called them before.

lumens factory makes replacements, but i'm looking for original SF module,

i looked them up first, they only sell 60lm p60 6v and 60lm 6v mn03, which is just a bulb, looks like for old e2. no 9v 105lm module available i called them before.

lumens factory makes replacements, but i'm looking for original SF module,
    There's some P90's on ebay right now. Usually are on there and not too expensive. They did make a lot of them, though not as many as the P60's. I'd go that route.

I'm glad SF is still at least keeping P60's and MN03's in stock, (and they're likely old stock) but it would be nice to have new P90's as well.

I guess it would be REALLY nice to have the entire line back, but that's never going to happen. We just have to appreciate it for what it was back in the day.
    Last edited by ampdude; 01-18-2021 at 06:41 PM.
    ampdude

Quote Originally Posted by ampdude View Post
    There's some P90's on ebay right now. Usually are on there and not too expensive. They did make a lot of them, though not as many as the P60's. I'd go that route.

I'm glad SF is still at least keeping P60's and MN03's in stock, (and they're likely old stock) but it would be nice to have new P90's as well.

I guess it would be REALLY nice to have the entire line back, but that's never going to happen. We just have to appreciate it for what it was back in the day.
    thanks, i did check ebay there is 9v Lumens Factory replacement module, very reasonably priced i might add. but i'm looking for original SF module, i just want it to be 100% authentic. i wont be using it much anyway, i just want to keep it as an example of old technology that will prbly be forgotten in a decade, it is not like i need it for use. i'll keep looking, i'm sure some day i'll find one, i want to show my son, who is now 15 mo. one day what was the most advanced stuff before his time.

aww maaan! that kinda sux
    So I need to get a "twisty" then (whatever tha is LOL)?
    this guy sells mcclicky for 7bucks, but shipping may kill the savings
    https://www.illumn.com/mcclicky-swit...hoCmIkQAvD_BwE

I`m reluctant to buy Anything from outside the UK now that .GOV greed has spoiled everything in terms of sales tax and import tax, so I figured a DIY approach may be the best way to go for a while.
    just out of curiosity, what if a package you receive is not an order, but a gift, from friends and family, do they want duty tax on that too? do they open every package to assess the value regardless of what is in it?

Until you find one, try 10W G4 bulb in one of these.

just out of curiosity, what if a package you receive is not an order, but a gift, from friends and family, do they want duty tax on that too? do they open every package to assess the value regardless of what is in it?
    I`m not sure about the friends/family thing because I`v never had one outside the UK, but anything from the West (Canada, USA) I get charged regardless and without fail, stuff from the East (Europe, China etc...) I Sometimes get stuff opened and charged but not very often, but since Jan 1`st all that`s changed and I get charged at point of sale and my stuff gets opened more frequently. I could in effect buy a .99p item, have them rip it open, charge me .20p tax and £8-12 extra for the privilage of doing so! (Theft basicaly).
    I think this is probably the fate of my LEP that I ordered last year, it left L.A on Dec 17th and hasn`t been seen since! so it`s either been stolen or they`re deciding what to charge me in tax etc...

I`m not sure about the friends/family thing because I`v never had one outside the UK, but anything from the West (Canada, USA) I get charged regardless and without fail, stuff from the East (Europe, China etc...) I Sometimes get stuff opened and charged but not very often, but since Jan 1`st all that`s changed and I get charged at point of sale and my stuff gets opened more frequently. I could in effect buy a .99p item, have them rip it open, charge me .20p tax and £8-12 extra for the privilage of doing so! (Theft basicaly).
    I think this is probably the fate of my LEP that I ordered last year, it left L.A on Dec 17th and hasn`t been seen since! so it`s either been stolen or they`re deciding what to charge me in tax etc...
    wow that is pretty bad

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12