The Fenix-Store        
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: how many lumens do you reasly need

Default how many lumens do you reasly need

in a pratical sence sure i have a 14000 lumen light. but i probaly onky need around 700 lumens!how about you?
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Default Re: how many lumens do you reasly need

I like to have fifty lumens or so, for every day use
    ... is the archimedes peak

350 lumen covers me pretty well, I always have a good bit more close to hand though.
    Russ

Flashaholic*

My 5 year old daughter and I just walked a 4 mile trail with a sofirn c01s and a maglite ML300lx for spotting the “wendigos” on the trail. : D. She had fun
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

For some reason I need as many lumens as can be fit in
    a flashlight with about a 1 inch head.

With my budget its now about 4000 lumens.

For indoor use, up close, the bare minimum lowest mode is all I need. To stave off major depression caused by being in this world, 20,000 lumens in a power throw config works real well, as well as 100,000 lumens in a pure flood configuration. 4,000 lumens is my minimum therapeutic dose, 10,000 lumens is average maintenance level.
    2 Cor 5:6-8

For most applications, I use less than approximately 50 lumens. I do like having more at my disposal, especially when on night walks with the dog. Almost all of the lights that I carry regularly top out somewhere around 500 lumens, but high mode is used very infrequently.
    even with a “thrower” It doesn’t do me much good lighting something farther out than I can reliably see.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    -- Albert Einstein

Flashaholic

800-1000 for me, even had a custom mod guy downrate a convoy C8 to 800 for me. If flashlight tech would have frozen in 2014 or so I would be in continual heaven

Inside...7L, outside at night...40L is decent-but I can get by with 17L quite easily.
    THRUNITE > Archer1AV2|TiS|TH20|TN4A Hi...all in neutral white
    YUJILEDS BC Series 95+ HiCRI
    > Sofirn C01|Dorcy Penlight (Yuji modded)
    XTARVC4, LCTBC500, Amaloops, 1999 MAG-LITE 2D Incandescent(glass lens) Petzl Tikkina 80L ..... Fenix E01

For a flashlight with a focused beam (as opposed to a lightbulb or lantern) as few lumens as possible to get the beam pattern, throw and tint that I want. I consider excessive lumens as a waste of battery power, a killer of night adapted vision and a generator of unwanted heat and glare.

For up close, my 37 lumen Solitaire is more than bright enough and for throw and a ML25 with 170 ish lumens dose the job nicely out as far as I 'm likely to use a flashlight in the places I go.
    Last edited by xxo; 01-02-2021 at 11:49 PM.

Indoors, 25lm or less is the brunt of power I use. Outside, about 80-100 in a dark part of the city, likely less in a rural field with adapted night vision. But the 500+ option is always nice to have.

Quote Originally Posted by raggie33 View Post
    ..... but i probaly only need around 700 lumens!how about you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckvet View Post

With my budget its now about 4000 lumens.
    Quote Originally Posted by mickb View Post
    800-1000 for me, even had a custom mod guy downrate a convoy C8 to 800 for me. If flashlight tech would have frozen in 2014 or so I would be in continual heaven
    [ note, original text highlighted red by me ]

See, after coming back to CPF just a few months ago, after a long absence (2012? 2014?), this is the kind of stuff that blows my mind and makes me crack up!

People are saying they NEED thousands of lumens! For what?!?! Are you lighting a football game singlehandedly on a cloudy moonless night?!

I have to wonder how many people are really USING that level of output for anything other than just a party trick, as in "Oooh ahhh look at that" then back in the pocket or holster it goes.

That Energizer tri-LED light I bought is something like 1200 lumens, and at home inside that's completely unusable because the bounce-back is just painfully bright. You could use it for lighting up a room by pointing it at the ceiling, but if you want it that bright why not just turn on the overhead light and be done with it?

Outdoors, I've done some trail and field walking with the old Fenix TK30 that puts out ONLY 500 lumens or so. That was okay for trying to light up something WAY across the field, but just walking, even the spill from that light was enough to blow out my night vision to where I couldn't see anything other than where I was pointing the light.

This is probably just an old-man rant, but momma mia. It's nuts to read people talking like they NEED a 1000+ lumen light for their normal EDC usage! Sheesh!

That very much depends on what I’m doing at the time; mind you all with a floody-punch.

Close up inspection at work - 10 or so.
    Detailed inspection - 100 or more.
    Walking from my car at night - 200 to 300.
    Lighting a hallway during a power outage - 500 to 600.
    Safely seeing the delivery person to their car from the comfort of my house - as many as I can get.
    Enjoy the light show - LedTed

Not as many as you think. 50-100 Lumen covers 95% of my life. I’m more about runtime than lumens. Lumens are fun though.
    In no order: HDS/Malkoff/OVEREADY/McGizmo/Sky Lumen -PSM

Flashaholic*

Default how many lumens do you reasly need

These are two different questions. Inside 50 to 100 lumens should do.
    Outside is a completely different story.
    Perfectly happy with 300 to 600 in a suburb. In the country may need 500 to 1500 or more. Beam profile is extremely important outside think of a runner on a trail or a spotlight on a vehicle or helicopter.
    There are also specialized like mining or caves lighting, many others.
    Issue with outside is that 80% of currently available flashlights with led get too hot over 600 or 700 lumens.
    Last edited by marinemaster; 01-03-2021 at 01:22 AM.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Stress_Test View Post
    [ note, original text highlighted red by me ]
    See, after coming back to CPF just a few months ago, after a long absence (2012? 2014?), this is the kind of stuff that blows my mind and makes me crack up!
    People are saying they NEED thousands of lumens! For what?!?! Are you lighting a football game singlehandedly on a cloudy moonless night?!
    Well since you quoted me in your 'crack-up' for my case hunting/plantation culling at night, ranges out to 100-120 yards, 800-1000 lumens and 45-60KCD is where its at. Same power level useful for checking compounds and fences. Beyond those levels I'd just be burning battery run-time.

I have to wonder how many people are really USING that level of output for anything other than just a party trick, as in "Oooh ahhh look at that" then back in the pocket or holster it goes.
    Well I am one. But who cares what folks are using their lights for anyway . You are famiiar with the idea of a hobby for enjpoyments sake right? I know fellas with Harleys who could get around just as well on a Jap 125. But it obviously meets their needs in some way to ride something 10x louder and chewing a lot more fuel and thats exactly what they would tell you.
    This is probably just an old-man rant, but momma mia. It's nuts to read people talking like they NEED a 1000+ lumen light for their normal EDC usage! Sheesh!
    Where did the OP say "normal EDC usage"? Different argument.

Day-to-day about 40-50lm.

Outdoors about 200lm. Im not often outdoors.

Indoors about 15-20lm works for 90% of my needs, outdoors there`s no upper limit. that`s why I`m a bit of an Anduril fan-girl, it covers everything

oddly this am im thinking i need more like 4000 lumens i was trying to light up end of my street my light a course lit up a part of the area but it was so throwy no flood at all
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine Alicia View Post
    Indoors about 15-20lm works for 90% of my needs, outdoors there`s no upper limit. that`s why I`m a bit of an Anduril fan-girl, it covers everything
    got a sofirn 21700 coming this week it has anduril

got a sofirn 21700 coming this week it has anduril

I`m guessing that`ll be the IF25A then? it`ll take some getting used to at first (after the initial shock seeing the UI map LOL), but once you have it set up then it`s as easy or complex as you want it to be, and you`ll soon start memorising parts of it.
    Personally after you`ve had a good look at the map and figured out some simple things, Set you temp Config, that`s super important before you start using Turbo and such (it`s the first thing I do on all my new anduril lights).

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine Alicia View Post
    I`m guessing that`ll be the IF25A then? it`ll take some getting used to at first (after the initial shock seeing the UI map LOL), but once you have it set up then it`s as easy or complex as you want it to be, and you`ll soon start memorising parts of it.
    Personally after you`ve had a good look at the map and figured out some simple things, Set you temp Config, that`s super important before you start using Turbo and such (it`s the first thing I do on all my new anduril lights).
    o i have had andutil lights i still have a emisar. i printed out a cheat sheet

40-60 incan lumens For inside the home and general tasks. 100-150ish for walking the dog and around the yard stuff at night. On rare occasions I use a 500 lumen light just to see how cool it is to throw that much light around. I don't have a need for much more than that.

i printed out a cheat sheet
    that`s Cheating!!! LOL

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Stress_Test View Post

We live in a society that hardly distinguishes wants from needs any more. That's why so many people are ate up with debt.

I pretty much live in the dark, and could get by with less than I use.
    That's <3 lumens leaving the house every night, and ~20 when I end up hiking into the night while backpacking.

On my job, ~200 from a suitable optic is plenty.
    I'm quite happy to have plenty more on tap, though, as the amount I can make practical use of in an industrial environment is pretty much unlimited. As the night shift guy, with no close coworkers or supervision, I've got about a 4 acre area to myself, full of things that all have to at least be looked at every 1 or 2 hours. Horrible work environment, but a virtual flashaholic playground.
    I can mostly get by with a crappy 3xAAA headlamp, and very well indeed with my <300 lumen flashlight. There's plenty of stuff that I can check more easily, and conveniently, with a higher output light, though. I was just playing around last night using my Zebralight H64w HI to briefly check some equipment with 1300 lumens, and thinking how I wouldn't have minded having double that, since it's so floody. This week, I've been carrying around a Malkoff Hound Dog that puts ~1000 lumens into a big spot, too. Total joy to use.
    Huh, what's up with this gas temperature? Did evening shift close that valve? Let's see, I can go up 3 flights of steps and climb a ladder, or...yeah, I'll just stand here, and shine my big flashlight on it

Quote Originally Posted by richbuff View Post
    For indoor use, up close, the bare minimum lowest mode is all I need. To stave off major depression caused by being in this world, 20,000 lumens in a power throw config works real well, as well as 100,000 lumens in a pure flood configuration. 4,000 lumens is my minimum therapeutic dose, 10,000 lumens is average maintenance level.
    This made me lol xD
    I do hope you were joking about the depression stuff. But it is funny the way you put it! I am new to the hobby and I feel like I might end up chasing the strongest light to chase away the demons.. For now I think I will be good with about 500 lumens!

Where I work I don't need a flashlight very much at all because it is a well lit building as well as a well lit parking lot, but there is a couple of corners where there is not only trees and Shrubbery but also a couple of poorly thought out area lighting devices that really only serve to blind someone further away from what might be happening in those dark corners. Once you get into those corners you really don't need a light but until you do, 1000-1200 lumens is just enough to see into them from a distance. Anything less than that tends to get washed out by the surrounding lights...yes it helps even at 300 lumens but it is close to nothing reflecting back. Then there is one other corner in amongst trees that has no lighting at all. Two hundred lumens is enough to see everything there but it's kind of an alley walking into it from one direction so it's nice to be able to instantly illuminate it from the lit area and well into the dark and past it.

Why do I need a 4000 lumen Flashlight to carry every day?

Same reason I need an excess of food for emergency use.

Did we all know that Stores would run out of Toilet Paper?
    I had a large box of it in my Basement at the time and still
    do.

I like to walk my Dogs in my City in the Dark.
    More than once, a Dog has decided to attack my
    Dogs while I do so.

It would be nice to have 4000 lumens to light this
    illegal unleashed dog up before we begin the fight.

Or maybe a drug addict will decide to pry his way into
    my shed. You may only need 20 lumens to see him
    but I NEED 4000 lumens to give me the advantage
    so that if the Blind idiot gets away he can tell his
    friends how much a trespass on my Property costs
    him.

When it's dark like back in Thomas Jeffersons day 10-15 is plenty for me.

Trouble is nearly everwhere I go the all night generator causes lots of shadows so 100 or more is needed.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 01-03-2021 at 11:23 AM.
    John 3:16

I currently EDC one of the 47 lumen Maglite Solitare flashlights. It works pretty well for me but I wouldn’t mind a little more lumens out of a AAA flashlight. Maybe something around 60-75 lumens?

I guess the answer to the question about how many lumens do I need is answered with 47; I am not sure I would want any less.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast