Surefire 9AN with 2x 21700 and KT2 Turbo Head?

tuelleric

Enlightened
Hi,

I wonder whether you could run a KT2 Turbo Head on a Surefire 9AN Commander. I know that the factory Turbo Head is the KT3, but except for the different lamp assembly it looks identical to the KT2.

Can someone confirm that the threads of KT2 and KT3 are compatible? If yes, I think it would be possible to run the KT2 with MN15 (or Lumensfactory bulb) on two 21700. That would be a simple mod and might want me to keep my 9AN. With the stock lamp and battery I just do not use it.

Thanks for your input!

tuelleric

Enlightened
Thanks, Archimedes!

Your memory is way better than my search skills...

I might try somerhing else then, maybe I can make an adapter for a KT4 head.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
The KT3 is specific to the 9AN. I used to have both the HA and BK-HA versions of both lights and turboheads. No other turboheads will fit the 9AN.

Now, whether it will fit the 9N, that I don't remember. I remember there was a turbohead for the 9N, but I don't recall if the threads are the same and I no longer have any 9AN's to swap the heads on a 9N. I think the threads on the 9AN may be wider than the 9N though IIRC.

sidfishez

Newly Enlightened
I do remember that Surefire's model T3, the early style turbo head fits the 9N.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do remember that Surefire's model T3, the early style turbo head fits the 9N.

Yup, I think you're right. I couldn't remember the model number, but I remember it being the smooth early style with the lexan lens. I just don't remember if the threads are the same.

tuelleric

Enlightened
Just compared the threads of 9n and 9AN, they have the same diameter but a different pitch.

However, to attach a KT4 should be rather easy. You would just need an aluminum adapter with threads on both ends. Two 21700 and the bulb fit in perfectly. Would make a great incan Surefire flashlight with all genuine parts.

40391559fg.jpeg

40391561mi.jpeg

40391563qb.jpeg

40391565yf.jpeg

40391568me.jpeg

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's awesome! I hope someone can come up with the adapter, there's so many MN10's out there to use this for!