Surefire EB1 Backup tailcap disassembly

SixStars

Newly Enlightened
I'm considering adding a tailcap shroud to a Surefire EB1 Backup. I tried removing the aluminum retainer using a pair of quality USA made retaining ring pliers and even though I had a good grip in the two small slots, they slipped out and gouged the retainer a bit. I'm assuming that Surefire used thread locker of some kind.

My EB1 is a 300 lumen version, approximately 2016 vintage (based off of the battery that was installed) I just purchased it new in the box from a Surefire dealer. I mention this because I did find some reference on CPF from 2006 to older E series tailcap retainers. Another member had spoken with Surefire and they told them that they use Echobond and that it was more of a glue than a thread locker. Did Surefire use the same Echobond in 2016?

Has anyone successfully removed the tailcap retainer from an EB1 or E1B? If so did you heat the tailcap? If so how? Did you use retaining ring pliers or a tool similar to the one that Lumens Factory makes?

I've seen multiple discussions about E series tailcaps with shrouds that were added by Oveready but I can't seem to find any that have been added to any EB1. Thank you.

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't speak for knowing what year the tail caps were produced or what glue or thread lockers were used. However, I have successfully taken apart half dozen of these tail caps. The way I have done them is to put them in a ziploc back and boil them for fifteen minutes.

about four out of five I was able to disassemble without damaging the retaining ring/tail caps and one I have damaged but because I was using the wrong size plier.

I don't know it this method will work with the new so called echobond.

I also did purchase the LF tool but haven't used it yet as I have already loosened all tail caps I wish to disassemble before getting the tool.

Wish you good luck!

SixStars

Newly Enlightened
I can't speak for knowing what year the tail caps were produced or what glue or thread lockers were used. However, I have successfully taken apart half dozen of these tail caps. The way I have done them is to put them in a ziploc back and boil them for fifteen minutes.

about four out of five I was able to disassemble without damaging the retaining ring/tail caps and one I have damaged but because I was using the wrong size plier.

I don't know it this method will work with the new so called echobond.

I also did purchase the LF tool but haven't used it yet as I have already loosened all tail caps I wish to disassemble before getting the tool.

Wish you good luck!

Thanks euroken for the tips! I knew that heat was required for disassembly of certain Surefire parts that thread locker was used on I just wasn't sure what the method of heat was. I'm considerably more comfortable with the "boil-in-a-bag" method than using any type of torch however small it may be.