Dedicated bike light or modify EDC for bike?

Luminesce

Newly Enlightened
I've been researching bike light posts on CPF as I do occasionally ride at night, mostly on well lit residential streets but also travel the more trafficked main streets. There are plenty of posts but most of the posts that I've found so far are 2018 or older. I also have found the CPF Bike Database, which starts at 2007 but contains nothing current and manufacturers are always updating their lights to encourage new sales so it's buy it now since tomorrow it may be gone. I'm hoping bike lights are redesigned less often than our EDC's are.

Nitecore BR35, Imalent 21T, Magicshine Allty 1000, Fenix BC21R, Revtronic BT40S are just some of the many current bike lights I've looked at. I especially like the dual beam of the BR35 but would rather have a neutral tint for riding in town (this is my top dedicated bike light choice at the moment). Not sure if I can add filters to any of the lights to improve contrast or change the tint. Just found the Lee, Zircon filter web site, interesting. I see Lee is used by many CPF folks, any comments on using them is welcomed as this is new to me.

FYI, in NJ State law states your light needs to be seen 500 feet away, most of the lights available can fit this requirement but I don't know if I need a spotlight, any comments on beam choice from those who ride? I'm more inclined to want a slightly floody version knowing the light will still be seen at a distance but seeing the road 20 feet in front of you at night might help one avoid debris or small pot holes not seen at a distance.

The downside is, too wide a flood light might also illminate or blind on coming traffic. If need be, I can build a shield/blinder to control the amount of light coming out of the left side of the light and even the top/front to avoid blinding any oncoming traffic.

I'm also considering EDC lights for the bike and recently I've looked at the ZebraLight SC700Fd 21700 XHP70.2 a small, floody Hi CRI w/neutral tint light for those times I didn't want to use my slightly bulkier Eagtac GX30A3 with a diffuser on it when I take walks at night. Might also make a decent bike light running it on the medium setting or would the non-floody version SC700d 21700 be better for the bike if I were to use it? Asked in case anyone uses one for biking. I'm sure I can find or make a diffuser for the SC700d (or any light) for those times when I don't want the bright hotspot.

So many lights to choose from, gotta love it though, something for everyone.

Luminesce

Newly Enlightened
LeanBurn, my initial searches for bike lights found many posts on the general light forum but your comment about the bike forum might garner more responses so I contacted admin and asked to move the post there. Hopefully the EDC folks will see it too as I see many have used EDC's on there bikes also. Thanks for the advice!

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you seen the lumintop B01? Great for handlebar mounting. If you are running on your helmet a traditional beam shape works great. Balance between flood and throw.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been down this road before, I'll suggest getting a dedicated bike light that has a hard mount and quick release rather than a light you have to remount everytime with a rubber strap. A good bike light once aimed will give you the right beam balance and reduce unwanted light going into any oncomers.

As far as light tint, there's different mentalities as to what would be better for a bike light. I'm a neutral white flashlight guy, but I've noticed a cool white light stand outs more and makes it much more clear as to what you are. So really it's whether you want to prioritize being seen vs seeing.

How much output you'll need, well that depends on your eyesight, where you bike, how fast you bike, etc. Having a light that can toggle between a high mode and a low mode like a car's headlights is a great feature to have.

Right now, I'm personally using Cygolite's lights exclusively and don't regret it at all.

sp5it

Enlightened
Long story short.
On public road you need StVZO light.
Offroad anything you like.
Mike

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Long story short.
On public road you need StVZO light.
Offroad anything you like.
Mike

We don't have safety standards in most states, just that you actually have lights at all in the front and back.

Jersey's specific regulations regarding nighttime riding

When in use at nighttime every bicycle shall be equipped with: 1) A front headlamp emitting a white light visible from a distance of at least 600 feet to the front; 2) A rear lamp emitting a red light visible from a distance of at least 600 feet to the rear; 3) In addition to the red lamp a red reflector may be mounted on the rear.

sp5it

Enlightened
We don't have safety standards in most states
But you have common sense which tells you not to blind oncoming road users?
So don't use shitty lights on road.
I ride a bike a lot and when I meet someone blinding me I switch on my Nitefighter BT40s duo to show how painful it could be to use wrong light in a wrong place.
Mike

Last edited:

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
But you have common sense which tells you not to blind oncoming road users?
So don't use shitty lights on road.
I ride a bike a lot and when I meet someone blinding me I switch on my Nitefighter BT40s duo to show how painful it could be to use wrong light in a wrong place.
Mike

I'm just saying the States are behind in that regard. I use a dedicated bike light and while I'm not sure if it's StVZO or not, it does have a sharp cutoff.

The Hawk

Enlightened
I have two dedicated LED bike lights. The first one I got at W-mart. It is made by Bell. Model is Dawn Patrol. It has 350 candlepower. It has steady on or flashing mode. It runs on 3 AAA batteries. The second one is made by Usione. It is rechargeable. I think it has 500 candlepower on high and 300 on low. It also flashes. They are detachable. The key is aiming them. Mount them on your bike, have someone ride toward you while you stand pretty far away and see how they look. It may take several adjustments, but it is worth it to get your lights aimed correctly.