Keychain Light

gruntmedik1

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to get a rechargeable keychain light, well actually a zipper pull light.
Main use would be for checking the helicopter prior to a flight, and going to/from the aircraft.

I'm looking at the Fenix EO3R, and Nitecore TINI2, mainly due to the size. The Nitecore TIP SE is a bit too big...maybe.

Anyone have both, or all? Which would you choose, and why? Any others you would suggest?

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF! Both are good options, by reputable companies, and you won't go wrong with either one. I'm a little partial to Fenix (as a company) for reliability and build quality, but I'm sure others feel the same about Nitecore. Both companies are generally well regarded in the CPF community. =)

As for alternatives, you could always look at the RovyVon Aurora or Nitecore Tiki if you wanted a different shape or LED type. The Nitecore Tiki (not Tini - Tiki, with a K) and the Rovyvon Aurora are essentially the same light, but the Aurora is slightly overdriven for a brighter high. I've had their old-school A1 for a while; it's my keychain light, and has performed well under a variety of conditions up here in Alaska. If I were doing it over, I'd probably just go with the Nitecore, for the name and reliability. The size and shape disappears on my keychain.

It sounds like you're only going to use the light for a few minutes to visually inspect the aircraft. If that's the case, you won't need much battery life. But if it's going to be longer, you might also want to look at the battery capacity and runtimes. The Fenix has a 200 mah battery, the Nitecore Tini has a 280 mah battery, and the Aurora has a 330 mah battery.

If you're going to use it for your preflight, you might want to choose a flashlight that has immediate access to both high and low modes. You'll want something really bright for checking the fuselage, and something much lower for when you're inside the cockpit. The Fenix doesn't have a memory mode, which means you'll have to cycle through a few modes to get to high each time you fire it up for preflight.

Also think about how important color rendition is. If you're using it to inspect your fuel, you might prefer a high-CRI flashlight, since this type of LED will help you better distinguish colors. (These are sometimes called "neutral" or "warm" LEDs. The neutral's closer to daylight, and warm's closer to an incandescent flashlight color.) Neither of the two lights you mentioned uses this type of LED; if that's an important factor, you might want to consider the Nitecore Tiki. You probably want to know if your fuel is dyed red, blue, or green. ;-)

Hope this helps!

- FITP

Last edited:

gruntmedik1

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to CPF! Both are good options, by reputable companies, and you won't go wrong with either one. I'm a little partial to Fenix (as a company) for reliability and build quality, but I'm sure others feel the same about Nitecore. Both companies are generally well regarded in the CPF community. =)

As for alternatives, you could always look at the RovyVon Aurora or Nitecore Tiki if you wanted a different shape or LED type. The Nitecore Tiki (not Tini - Tiki, with a K) and the Rovyvon Aurora are essentially the same light, but the Aurora is slightly overdriven for a brighter high. I've had their old-school A1 for a while; it's my keychain light, and has performed well under a variety of conditions up here in Alaska. If I were doing it over, I'd probably just go with the Nitecore, for the name and reliability. The size and shape disappears on my keychain.

It sounds like you're only going to use the light for a few minutes to visually inspect the aircraft. If that's the case, you won't need much battery life. But if it's going to be longer, you might also want to look at the battery capacity and runtimes. The Fenix has a 200 mah battery, the Nitecore Tini has a 280 mah battery, and the Aurora has a 330 mah battery.

If you're going to use it for your preflight, you might want to choose a flashlight that has immediate access to both high and low modes. You'll want something really bright for checking the fuselage, and something much lower for when you're inside the cockpit. The Fenix doesn't have a memory mode, which means you'll have to cycle through a few modes to get to high each time you fire it up for preflight.

Also think about how important color rendition is. If you're using it to inspect your fuel, you might prefer a high-CRI flashlight, since this type of LED will help you better distinguish colors. (These are sometimes called "neutral" or "warm" LEDs. The neutral's closer to daylight, and warm's closer to an incandescent flashlight color.) Neither of the two lights you mentioned uses this type of LED; if that's an important factor, you might want to consider the Nitecore Tiki. You probably want to know if your fuel is dyed red, blue, or green. ;-)

Hope this helps!

- FITP

Thanks for that detailed reply!

The light will be primarily for doing a walk around prior to flight, but also as a quick access general purpose light. I'm not a pilot, so fuel samples are not a concern for my use.

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF!

As an aircraft maintenance engineer i must say that keychain light for me worked only for toilet tours at night but not for proper walkaround.
BUT what size (model) of helicopter are we talking about here?
If less than 10000lbs then i'd recommend (if keychain is a must) nozhing less than Jetbeam Jet MkI or Skilhunt E3A.

Sent from Tapatalk

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone have both, or all? Which would you choose, and why? Any others you would suggest?

I think you should buy at least TWO lights, and learn what works for your situation :)

I suggest you make one of them the High CRI version of the
Skilhunt E3A

plus one from your list of mini lights

It is very helpful to be able to do side by side comparisons in your actual environment.

bet you cant buy just two ;-)

gruntmedik1

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to CPF!

As an aircraft maintenance engineer i must say that keychain light for me worked only for toilet tours at night but not for proper walkaround.
BUT what size (model) of helicopter are we talking about here?
If less than 10000lbs then i'd recommend (if keychain is a must) nozhing less than Jetbeam Jet MkI or Skilhunt E3A.

Sent from Tapatalk

We are in an EC-135T2. As medical crew, our walkaround mainly consist of verifying latches and doors closed, cords disconnected, no leaking fluids, no obvious damage, and no belts/items shut in the doors.

I have a Fenix PD32 in a leg pocket for more intense light if needed, I am just looking for light readily available on the zipper pull of my flight suit.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Sofirn C01S is a nice small light that has a low good for the immediate area, and a high that lights up good for about ten feet (`3 m). Has a high CRI emitter for good color rendition.
I thought about the Nitecore Tube, but it really is a close in only light, and I don't think it is high CRI. It does make a good keychain/zipper pull light though, same as the still available Photon lights. The Tube advantage is that it is rechargeable.

gruntmedik1

Newly Enlightened
The Sofirn C01S is a nice small light that has a low good for the immediate area, and a high that lights up good for about ten feet (`3 m). Has a high CRI emitter for good color rendition.
I thought about the Nitecore Tube, but it really is a close in only light, and I don't think it is high CRI. It does make a good keychain/zipper pull light though, same as the still available Photon lights. The Tube advantage is that it is rechargeable.

I have a couple C01S's, but would prefer more light. They are surprisingly good for the cost, though.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumintop tool AA 2.0 650 lumens with a 14500

Over 200 with a regular AA or nimh. Size should work out. Great little lights.

No recharge

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking to get a rechargeable...zipper pull light.
Nitecore TINI2

I think you should buy one and let us know how you like it

less weight, smaller, brighter, and more likely to work as a zipper pull, than other options mentioned so far.

Last edited:

Vemice

Enlightened
The TINI2 is well thought out in this version with a partial and full lockout. I really like it so far. I had the original version and like this one much better. It does the job as long as you are not a tint snob. While I like my high CRI lights, this one is great when you just need light.
Next to a AAA battery.
nb8FM1Vl.jpg

gruntmedik1

Newly Enlightened
I wound up getting both the TINI2 and the GITD TIKI.

Both will work, and it allows me to have one on my coat, and one on my flightsuit.

Latest posts