CAN SOMEONE REPAIR MY EDC-MCE ELEKTROLUMENS FLASHLIGHT?

weoboines

Newly Enlightened
Howdy! I am newbie, my first post.
I was referred here by Wayne, founder of ELEKTROLUMENS.
Wayne is now retired.

I have a somewhat vintage EDC-MCE which takes a single rechargeable 18650 Lithium Ion battery.
I noticed recently that not all of the four LEDS are lighting up - I am using brand new batteries.
I am pretty sure that some of the LEDS are not working.

Wayne advised me that although ehMCE LEDS are now obsolete, someone in this group might be able to either source some new ones for me, or better yet, offer to repair my unit.

I am quite handy if this is something I can repair - I am glad to ship it off and pay for the repair by a qualified tech. I have an adjustable high-quality solder iron and desolder device. I am good with my hands and since I tie trout flies, I have all kinds of magnifiers and good lighting sources for close detailed work.

The light is still blindingly bright even with not all of the LEDS working, so I cannot accurately determine how many of the LEDS are actually lighting up of the four in the array.

Thanks!

nbp

Flashaholic
Welcome! I have moved your thread to the Modified lights subforum. It's a good place to talk about repairs such as you are looking at.

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
should be fairly straight forward to swap in a new board, and sounds like you have the tools.

there is one auction on eBay of a board that I could find. item number 261521256161

otherwise, upgrading to a different emitter would be about the same, but you would have variations in the beam profile due to a new emitter not necessarily being focused properly for the reflector, which will be a personal preference.

Mountain Electronics is a common place folks go to for part for swaps like these, but there are several places to get new MCPCBs with emitters already mounted.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
put something opaque on the flashlight. This will cut down the shine quite a lot, so you may see better.
if push comes to shove, I think i have 2 MCE in my parts bin. Will eagerly sent them to you.

regarding LED replacement, such wide beamed leds and small reflectors cooperate well. in general.