Throwy Light Recommendations (single 21700 or 18650 style light)

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using an Olight M2X-UT Javelot since 2015 which produces 1000 lumens, 196k cd, on a single 18650. I'd like a brighter more throwy light using (hopefully) a single 21700 Li-ion and be close to the same size as my Olight. Is the Acebeam T27 my best option, or is there something better out there? Thanks!

nbp

Flashaholic
A friend recommended the T27 to me and I have been really happy with it. Is it the best? I dunno, but I have had a lot of fun with it out in the fields behind the house. I like the easy charging, nice beam pattern, good UI, and it seems well built for the money. I chucked it down a groomed snow road through the woods several times so it could bounce end over end to make sure it could take some drops and so far no issues!

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
I just picked up the Acebeam T28, and like it very well as a thrower. 2500 lumen, 1300 meters of throw. Seemed like a good bang for the buck, and it is performing well. Comes with a 21700 and is USB-C chargeable as well.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was not aware of the L19 or the T28. Great info on the T27 nbp. Thanks!

My goal with this next purchase is to have a significantly brighter & more throwy light than my current Olight M2X-UT Javelot. I use this light to spot things behind my house & down the mountain we live on. Also, we use it to spot fish off a peer or from the beach when we go on vacation & fishing multiple times a year. So, I'm looking for a significant enough increase in performance to say "wow" and like more than my Olight.

Here's some data I've gathered regarding each of the lights mentioned above. Please weigh in if you see something I don't or have anymore recommendations.

- My current Olight M2X-UT Javelot: 1000 lumens, 196,000 cd (throw), 1 18650 battery, Head Size 1.47", Length 6.42", Wt 7.69 oz. So, this light is quite pocketable (in baggy shorts or pants) when walking down the beach or through the woods.
***Being able to somewhat pocket this light is important to me.***

- Acebeam L19: 1650 lumens (white LED), 422,407 cd (throw), 1 21700 battery, Head Size 2.36", Length 6.45", Wt 6.91 oz. So, this light is a bit bigger and a bit brighter than my Olight. This light has a longer throwing green LED option, but that doesn't interest me. The L19 must have a smaller LED to have the same amount of throw as the brighter & larger T28 below. That could mean it has a smaller hotspot than my Olight, and I'm not sure that's appealing. Thoughts?

- Acebeam T27: 2500 lumens, 348,000 cd (throw), 1 21700 battery, Head Size 2.76", Length 6.88", Wt 8.1 oz.

- Acebeam T28: 2500 lumens, 422,500 cd (throw), 1 21700 battery, Head Size 3.27", Length 7.8", Wt 12.59 oz.

Since my Olight is significantly smaller & quite pocketable, I may be better off just sticking with what I have. Out of the 3 Acebeam lights above, I would lean towards the T27 for brightness & size. Is this light somewhat pocketable in baggy shorts or pants?

Is there anything else out there I should be considering for a dedicated thrower in the woods & on the beach? Thanks!

Last edited:

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have nothing against the Acebeams, although I don't own any. They always seemed a little pricey to me.

Something to note, long distance (as in throw) is normally achieved by a smaller LED. This is because they have a higher surface brightness and allow a tighter more concentrated focus in a given reflector size than larger LEDs. The trade off is, you get lower lumens, but more cd (Lux).

Also as a rule, the bigger the reflector the more throw you will get. So bigger lights with the same LED will usually throw better.

For me, I struggle to see better options than either the Nocitgon K1 if you want a larger reflector or as a very compact offering the KR1.

Available here: https://intl-outdoor.com/

You could likely buy both lights for the price of the Acebeams.

Hank offers a choice of emitters with these lights, but it is the new Osram LEDs that offer the most throw. You get a choice of max throw with the W1 or slightly less throw with the W2, but slightly higher lumens and a slightly bigger hot spot.

The K1:

W1 (Osram CULNM1.TG): 900lm, Lux : 650Kcd (650,000cd)

W2 (Osram CULPM1.TG): 1500lm, Lux: 600Kcd (600,000cd)

Which is much higher Lux than the Acebeams mentioned above.

If you want high lumens and still pretty good throw, Hank also offers the SBT-90 LED in the K1 too. This offers a fat hot spot and really bright spill and pretty much monsters its way to get great beam distance too. Although you could argue it is less of a true "thrower" in terms of beam profile. But it would match the Acebeams for throw, but offer more lumens.

SBT90.2 LED, 5700K, 4500lm, Lux: 420Kcd (420,000cd)

I too have an Olight, I have the M3XS-UT Javelot. Running on 2 x 18500. The K1 has a similar sized head, but shorter overall. The Olight is rated at 250,000cd and 1200 lumens.

Arguably more impressive is the tiny little KR1. It is EDC pocket sized, but packs a huge punch!

I wonder i fHank is out of stock, as I don't see it on his site currently. But seems to be available here: https://www.illumn.com/flashlights/...n-kr1-tail-e-switch-18650-pocket-thrower.html

W2 (Osram CSLPM1.TG) 1300 lumens 100,000cd
W1 (Osram CSLNM1.TG) 900 lumens 110,000cd

I have the W2 version. Obviously the KR1 offers less cd than your current Olight, bit it really is about half the size too. And in real world use is likely to offer very similar performance in a much smaller package.

This is my one:

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hy chicken drumstick. Thanks for the suggestions.
- The Noctigon K1 looks good. Can that light inside the button be programmed to off at all times?
- The KR1 looks great too! Is the UI any good on these two lights?

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hy chicken drumstick. Thanks for the suggestions.
- The Noctigon K1 looks good. Can that light inside the button be programmed to off at all times?
- The KR1 looks great too! Is the UI any good on these two lights?
They both use Anduril UI, which is largely a community developed interface by some of the other flashlight forums and some very dedicated individuals. It isn't perfect but in fairness it is very very good. IMO one of the better UI's out there.

The UI is quite programmable, so you can get it to do lots of things. Including I believe turning the light off on the switch.

The best bits are normal use.

Super fast and smooth ramping up and down. Instant access to Turbo while in use and instant access to Moonlight from off.

VyyN0qnPVxluS6XYVJz5jSZm9hQXKtKxzIKK3q2XWlM.jpg

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
They both use Anduril UI, which is largely a community developed interface by some of the other flashlight forums and some very dedicated individuals. It isn't perfect but in fairness it is very very good. IMO one of the better UI's out there.

The UI is quite programmable, so you can get it to do lots of things. Including I believe turning the light off on the switch.

The best bits are normal use.

Super fast and smooth ramping up and down. Instant access to Turbo while in use and instant access to Moonlight from off.
VyyN0qnPVxluS6XYVJz5jSZm9hQXKtKxzIKK3q2XWlM.jpg

Ok, great. Thanks for the helpful info. You are right regarding your earlier comment, I can buy both of these lights for the same price of the Acebeam.

Enlightened
The Noctigon K1 is amazing with the sbt90 if you can deal with the size.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the recommendations Chicken Drumstick. After researching a bit, I got both lights (K1 & KR1) on order. I will report back once they arrive.

Strintguy

Enlightened
I just got the Lumintop GT Mini, 1x18650 with XP-L Hi. It is surprisingly compact, but throws very well without getting too hot too quickly.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got the Lumintop GT Mini, 1x18650 with XP-L Hi. It is surprisingly compact, but throws very well without getting too hot too quickly.

Thanks Strintguy! I didn't know about this light either. I just ordered one (the GT Mini, not the pro), and will report back once it arrives.

TheMocoMan

Newly Enlightened
  • 500cd = 45m
  • 1kcd = 63m
  • 5kcd =141m
  • 10kcd = 200m
  • 20kcd = 282m
  • 50kcd = 447m
  • 100kcd = 632m
  • 200kcd =894m
  • 500kcd = 1,414m
Are you telling me that even with a "modest" ~200kcd (example: K1 w/XHP35 HI:2000lm, Lux: 290Kcd) will throw over 800 meters?