HDS Systems        
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any Interest in Starting a New "Weekly Challenge" Series?

Au Any Interest in Starting a New "Weekly Challenge" Series?

So, "back in the day", CPF veteran Carrot created a series of Weekly Challenges, which were based on an imposed limit of some sort as to what flashlight you could use that week.

There was the "5mm Challenge", the "Incandescent Challenge", and a few others.

So for example, at the start of the week, you're only allowed to use that one particular type of light and nothing else. If you use something else, you "fail" the challenge and have to report back to the challenge thread with a post describing your shame!

It was great fun and a lot of us learned things we might not have otherwise, since we were constrained to go outside of our comfort zone for a week.

Be warned, many of us ended up purchasing lights just for a particular challenge.

(I bought a Princeton Tec 4xAA incan for the incan only challenge week; it was pretty neeto until the 3-cell Mag bulb I had put in there turned out to produce too much heat and eventually melted off the adhesive that held the rubber on the head! oops)

So, any interest in starting up a few new challenges? Some things have really come a long way since then so it'll probably be cool to re-try some of the old challenges too in addition to new ones.

Default Re: Any Interest in Starting a New "Weekly Challenge" Series?

Those were super fun. They offered a nice fresh look at our collections and our hobby in general. I’d definitely try to participate. It might even be fun to go back and retry some of the old ones again too.

I did some searching and it looks like in 2011 Carrot brought us the "250 Lumens Challenge", the "Incan Challenge", "Headlamp/Handsfree Challenge" and the "5mm Challenge". Later Scout24 rebooted the series with the "E01 Challenge" and also bykfixer with a second round of "Incan Challenge". It's now 10 years since the original series; a perfect time to go again! Stress Test; did you already have any ideas on new versions to try out? I would be game to try the old ones again too as my collection has changed quite a bit in a decade!

Great idea here !

May I suggest:

Mini-Maglite 2xAA incandescent,
    running on Alkalines !

< just a thought . . . . . >

I'm in!!

Red led challenge
    In no order: HDS/Malkoff/OVEREADY/McGizmo/Sky Lumen -PSM

Thumbs up Re: Any Interest in Starting a New "Weekly Challenge" Series?

That's a timeless bit of fun that we should totally bring back

Since we're already dropping ideas in the hat, I have a few:
    > Tint Fixation: the thread decides on a CCT, and you cannot use anything cooler or warmer;
    > Vintage Power: can't use more than 100-ish lumens, like incan and early LED lights of decades past;
    > Close Range Long Range: only throwers and pencil-beams allowed, including in close quarters or wide open areas;
    > Django Un(key)chained: only torches of a certain size (like 16650) and above;
    Last edited by Jean-Luc Descarte; 01-07-2021 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgess View Post
    Great idea here !

May I suggest:

Mini-Maglite 2xAA incandescent,
    running on Alkalines !

< just a thought . . . . . >
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliceScannerMan View Post
    I'm in!!

Red led challenge
    Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    I did some searching and it looks like in 2011 Carrot brought us the "250 Lumens Challenge", the "Incan Challenge", "Headlamp/Handsfree Challenge" and the "5mm Challenge". Later Scout24 rebooted the series with the "E01 Challenge" and also bykfixer with a second round of "Incan Challenge". It's now 10 years since the original series; a perfect time to go again! Stress Test; did you already have any ideas on new versions to try out? I would be game to try the old ones again too as my collection has changed quite a bit in a decade!
    Burgess and PSM, that gives me the beginnings of a couple of possibilities! The tricky part is defining a challenge that is unique/oddball enough to be, well, challenging, but at the same time something that most people can try without necessarily making a one-off purchase. (Though I did that myself!)

If it's a few bucks expenditure, no big deal, but we wouldn't want to have something like a "SureFire Only" challenge where significant money would have to be spent if a person didn't already own one.

I've got a couple of new (I think) ideas... I just don't want to reveal them too soon and give people too much planning time!

What would be better: Re-visit a previous challenge first, or jump right into a all-new challenge?

I kinda wanted to do the incan-only challenge again, but if that was done recently maybe that should wait?

My favorite was the incan challenge but the 5mm challenge was sweet too. We now have a plethora of 5mm lights like the yuji C01, the sophia C01, the E01, the Yuji mod like a P60 or minimag (or clone) modification.

Now for clarity I use flashlights at work in the daytime at unexpected times so a 5mm would have to be supplimented at those times.
    John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    My favorite was the incan challenge but the 5mm challenge was sweet too. We now have a plethora of 5mm lights like the yuji C01, the sophia C01, the E01, the Yuji mod like a P60 or minimag (or clone) modification.

Now for clarity I use flashlights at work in the daytime at unexpected times so a 5mm would have to be supplimented at those times.
    I believe all of the challenges proposed so far can fit an exception for these outside context situations, byk. It wouldn't be fun if things out of our control screwed us over, would it?

A draft-in-progress of generic rules that will apply to each challenge. This is what I gleaned from reading some of the frequent questions in one or two of the old challenges:

===================================

1. Safety First! While attempting to meet the challenge:

a. Don't do anything that would endanger yourself.
    b. Don't do anything to endanger others.
    c. Don't put any property (yours, or others') at risk
    d. Be nice to animals.
    e. If you DO cause some disaster, be sure to get good video.
    f. Don't get fired from your job. (job security is safety too!)

2. You can carry additional lights etc for emergency needs in support of rule #1.

a. For example, if your job requires some particular light use outside of what the "challenge light" can do, that's okay. However! Report any such usage by posting in the challenge thread, so your fellow flashaholics can judge you innocent or guilty

3. Rules for the FAIL

a. You fail for using any other light that falls outside the rules of the challenge. If you grab the "wrong" light but stop yourself before you actually activate it, you're still good. If you click it ON, however, you have FAILED!

b. Item (a) above applies 24/7 for the challenge week! No excuse for waking up in the middle of the night and activating the "wrong" light.
    c. If you fail, you must post your failure to the Challenge thread. The first thing in the post should be the FAIL smiley to make sure the offenders' posts don't get lost among regular update posts!

d. A fail doesn't mean you are "out" or "disqualified" or anything. By all means, continue the week if you wish!

3. Post any relevant/interesting pictures if you're using something uncommon, oddball, etc.

4. No "playing" with flashlights that fall outside the rules of the challenge. Even if it's not "actual" use, ie, sitting watching TV and clicking the light on and off.

a. "Function Testing" of a newly arrived light is okay, because of the time-sensitive need of getting a replacement for a defective light within the window for returns.

b. No cheating by abusing the Function Test clause! For example, if we're doing an old-school 5mm LED challenge, that doesn't mean that you can go out and buy a 10-mode-Mega-Lumen-Ultra-Light and then "Function Test" it during that week! We have the FBI on contract to monitor all participants by using drones and satellite imagery so don't try it!

5. Rewards for Successful Completion of the Challenge:

a. Bragging rights on CPF
    b. Respect from your fellow CPF members (nah, probably not)
    c. A depleted bank account if you go nuts buying stuff for the challenge

6. Misc other Stuff

* "Duration" of the challenge: The week can be the full seven days, or just the work-week Mon-to-Fri if you prefer. Don't get too hung up over missing a day or two and having to start, say, on Tuesday. Main idea is to get in a routine, at least for several consecutive days, of using the challenge light(s).
    a. As Pirate Captain Barbossa would say, these are more "guidelines" than actual "rules", so don't take any of this too seriously
    b. Have fun
    c. Bust out of your flashlight comfort zone and learn stuff you might not have known! The spirit of the challenge is to create arbitrary restrictions that force you to be creative, adaptable, and flexible! Photographers do this frequently with similar challenges to use only one focal length lens, only 35mm film, only black-and-white, etc etc. Keeps things fresh, boosts creativity, forces you to look at things in new ways, and so on.

================================
    Last edited by Stress_Test; 01-08-2021 at 07:42 PM. Reason: added line "d" to fail section, and a note on duration to the Misc section

Quote Originally Posted by Jean-Luc Descarte View Post
    I believe all of the challenges proposed so far can fit an exception for these outside context situations, byk. It wouldn't be fun if things out of our control screwed us over, would it?
    Yeah, that was a common question on the old challenges, so I made that one of the first things covered in the "rules" list. Exceptions for work requirements are allowed. You still have to post it though so we can make sure no one is inventing bogus "requirements"

My favorite was the incan challenge but the 5mm challenge was sweet too. ............
    Both of those were good. I admit I've got a hankerin' to do the incan challenge again, since it's the middle of winter right now. That one seems pretty popular and it's probably a good way for newcomers to get their feet wet before we try some of the more oddball challenges.

I'd wager we nearly all have some old incan lying around somewhere, and if not, they're probably available for a few bucks at a thrift store or something.

Excellent Guidelines posted above !

Yes, indeed, you are welcome to CARRY additional (backup) flashlights
    to cover any emergencies you may encounter. Always Be Prepared !

As stated above, the FUN of this is to Bust out of your flashlight comfort zone.

Almost daily, even at age 67, I'm reminded of how LITTLE light I require
    (in total darkness, with dark-adapted eyes) to perform many tasks !

Truly is an "eye-opening" experience.
    < sorry -- couldn't resist >

Much Respect for the 5mm LED's which STARTED this new crazy fad.

_

Quote Originally Posted by Stress_Test View Post
    Yeah, that was a common question on the old challenges, so I made that one of the first things covered in the "rules" list. Exceptions for work requirements are allowed. You still have to post it though so we can make sure no one is inventing bogus "requirements"
    Yep, saw that Funny how quickly this shenanigan is being organized into what feels like an actual little event!

Those rules all look great! If you are still mulling over ideas for new challenges I think revisiting an older one is just fine. I have a better Incan and better 5mm lights now. Haha

Cool white for a week.
    Yup break out those old bluemens……

Bykfixer; that's kind of the default for most isn't it? it used to be anyway, maybe it isn't by now.

Anyhoo...

How much time between challenge week posts? Doing them on consecutive weeks seems like it'd be too rushed...

BUT...

I have an idea that would work best if the two challenges were back-to-back. We could start an incan challenge thread this coming Sunday, since that should be pretty familiar territory. Then my idea for a new one would follow the week after that.

Sound workable?

Let us begin.... A good light based challenge sounds like some flashaholic fun...
    I DO NOT HAVE...
    AURORAPHOBIA, OR EOSOPHOBIA, OR EREUTHOBPHOBIA, OR ERYTHROPHOBIA, OR ERYTOPHOBIA, OR PHENGOPHOBIA, OR PHOTOAUGLIAPHOBIA, PHOTOPHOBIA, OR SELAPHOBIA..

Quote Originally Posted by Stress_Test View Post

Sound workable?
    Sounds good! You might start the thread a day or two before the official start of the challenge week so people can see and prep for it a bit. Obviously others may join and try it out anytime after that but it is fun if at least a few people can do it at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by skillet View Post
    Let us begin.... A good light based challenge sounds like some flashaholic fun...
    Let's. I'm on board for any challenges that I can currently perform.

Also, if it's any use, I dropped a few suggestions in post #6 that seem to have flown under the radar. In fact, now that the revival of the challenges is agreed upon, can we use this thread to make a list of possible challenges?

I was thinking along the lines of one of your ideas in post 6 jen-luc, when I said "break out those bluemens". In SureFire lore you had the G2L or A2-white, early LED maglites, how about that ARC aaa or Fenix E01?.. That's where I was going with that. Matter of fact being there are so many who haaaaaaated bluemens that one may be a difficult challenge since so many modified their old faithful baby-blue beamed units.

Unless the challenge is high powered rotary or a brand starting with the letter Y I'm kinda ready for anything. Well, actually I have zero lights over 2200 lumens (ProTac HL4) so there's that too.

Here's an idea --

How about an Entire Week on just a single AA cell ! ! !
    (spoiler alert: I'd choose an L91)

Then, after we've honed our skills on that challenge . . . . .

Followed by an Entire Week on a single AAA cell !

Count me IN ! ! !

_

. . . . . or a brand starting with the letter Y . . . . .

Yuji emitter in my Sofirn C01 (1xAAA) flashlight, ready for the call !

_

Quote Originally Posted by Burgess View Post
    Here's an idea --

How about an Entire Week on just a single AA cell ! ! !
    (spoiler alert: I'd choose an L91)

Then, after we've honed our skills on that challenge . . . . .

Followed by an Entire Week on a single AAA cell !

Count me IN ! ! !

_
    I'm in for those,
    I have a Manker T01 I don't use much because of the interface but that little 1aa could be used in daylight too. It's quite throwey.
    And for a 1aaa my 37 lumen Solitaire could cover a lot of tasks in daylight if close quarters needs light.

Oh yeah, Haiku AA and SF Titan Plus AAA on Eneloop Max should do me just fine!

From the wording, I wager recharging said single battery is out of the question?

Correct !

No recharging permitted.

_

Quote Originally Posted by Jean-Luc Descarte View Post
    Let's. I'm on board for any challenges that I can currently perform.

Also, if it's any use, I dropped a few suggestions in post #6 that seem to have flown under the radar. In fact, now that the revival of the challenges is agreed upon, can we use this thread to make a list of possible challenges?
    I did see it; when I was multi-quoting though I missed it due to brain overload and not enough memory!

I like the "only throwers" idea. Gives me a good excuse to rock the old Fenix TK20 for a week! Over 6000 lux from only 150 lumens! And neutral white to boot!

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    Sounds good! You might start the thread a day or two before the official start of the challenge week so people can see and prep for it a bit. Obviously others may join and try it out anytime after that but it is fun if at least a few people can do it at the same time.
    Yeah, I could make the post for the Incan Challenge tomorrow (Saturday) which would give people Sunday/Monday to dig stuff out of closets and whatnot. Since that last Incan Week was in 2018(?), a lot of people probably still have some incan stuff at hand.

Which is good, because I took a quick look at the Lowes and HomeDepot sites today, and man there was basically nothing incandescent left! Philistines!

At any rate, I wouldn't want people to run out and buy a bunch of stuff just for a challenge week anyway. To me at least that kind of goes against the spirit of the thing, and most of us already have enough stuff laying around as it is. Of course if there's something you already wanted anyway, then go for it. I'm already guilty because I've been eyeballing a new Maglite drop-in for the thrower challenge. Hey, it's only 16 bucks and, um, I'm helping local business... yea, that's it.

As for Incan Week, if we start next week and people are either late to the party, or we get a lot of people jumping in, we could always let it run into the next week too. Hey, I'm not being dogmatic about any of this! It's all in fun so we can laugh at ourselves and each other and have a good time.

I have a 1990's 2C Maglite modified with 2 solar lamp 18500's and a 4 cell bi-pin bulb and a 1972 2C Kel-Lite with same fuel supply and a 4 cell PR base xenon bulb ready to go for incan week. Or a restored 1980's 2D Maglite with a glass lens and PR base xenon bulb.

Or perhaps the 3aa Brinkmann Tri-Max with a LampTronix bulb once used in dash boards of F14 fighter jets.

Pretty neat light.
    I found a few left on eBay a few years back and bought them since 3aa minimags were near impossible to acquire at the time.

Worlds ulgiest beam
    LampTronix made a bi-pin 2.4 volt 1amp bulb that I was able to get about 5 minutes run time sending 7.2 volts at it. Tough light bulbs for sure.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 01-08-2021 at 08:59 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast