Jetbeam        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2021-share your outings

Default Re: 2021-share your outings

After hiking back out from the Parker Falls gorge, it was on to the Deer Skull and Wolfpen Falls Loop. The loop is not on the map, but sees regular use, and is easy to get back to when the "trail" disappears.
    Due to some confusion between internet sources, I am not entirely sure which named falls is which, plus there are seasonal falls with no names.
    I *think* this is Deer Skull Falls:

Seasonal fall, taken after dark and edited:

I camped in a narrow section of gorge, where there was a little flat spot between the "trail" and creek.

The remainder of the loop features several falls and rock shelters just off the route, plus a brief meeting with one of the area's major trails, and the Sipsey Fork itself.

Sipsey Fork

Some other little falls back up in drainages along the way:

Last edited by OwenM; 05-03-2021 at 11:05 PM.

Great shots, Owen! I like all those waterfall shots. I live in the Eastern Sierra in CA and itís crazy just how different things look across the country.

I also like Lone Peaks ó been wearing LPs since the 1.5 (currently wearing 4.5s at work, and have a fresh pair of yellow 5s in the car for running/adventuring). I actually really like the 5s. I had tried a pair of La Sportiva Jackals for a couple months (7mm drop) and my left knee was NOT happy about them. The LS Jackals are incredible quality (as almost all Sportiva shoes), but they just donít work for me.

I tried a pair of Altra Superior 4s about 6 months ago and was instantly disappointed. They seemed cheap and flimsy, and the aesthetic just seemed... dumb. The quality was so bad, I was skeptical of Altra for a bit, and while the LP 4.5s are pretty good, they do fit a little strange (tight over my arch). But Iím really liking the 5s!

Anyways, inspiring posts dude! I gotta remember to snap some pics when out climbing and running this weekend.
    Last edited by Celery; 05-22-2021 at 02:30 PM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Celery View Post
    Great shots, Owen! I like all those waterfall shots. I live in the Eastern Sierra in CA and itís crazy just how different things look across the country.

I also like Lone Peaks
    Oh, sweet! The Sierras are off the chain gorgeous. I'd love to see your pics!

I had Park Service friends at Yosemite, and got to spend almost 2 weeks around there in fall 2015. Wasn't crowded away from the Valley or main attractions, either. Toulumne to Agnew Meadows through the AA Wilderness, with a hitch out to Mammoth, was my favorite.
    Don't know when I'll make it back to CA, but I'd like to get in a trip at SEKI, and another in the Trinity Alps up north.

I think the Lone Peaks are the only Altras currently available in Wide, which I need. Shame, 'cause I love these, and would be happy to try some others.

Bring on the pics!

Flashaholic*

Hey!!! Pics or it didn't happen!

I guess I could do a monthly update. That's easy for May, since 1 of my 3 off nights this month resulted in ~20hrs of sleep, and I only got out for 2 nights.

-Cheaha Wilderness, AL
    Quick in/out with sleep as the top priority, but a beautiful hike.

'Sup?

-Cohutta Wilderness, GA.
    My 36 planned river crossings got cut to 24 due to impassable deadfalls on a narrow shelf of ridge that I needed to traverse to get off my loop, and up to Jacks River Falls. Flash flooding and 60mph winds there a few weeks ago were probably to blame for that, and trail maintenance is a rarity in wilderness areas...
    The crossings are not deep, but there was more flow than during my first 2 trips there(last year). Mostly around knee deep for those, up to maybe 5-6" higher in some places this time.
    The Jacks River is an unusual one. It flows from underground, supposedly out of a mountainside, and runs south to north.
    The water is nice and cool; wonderful in warm weather.

Love this campsite. Fire ring, and a little waterfall with a tiny private beach and nice swimming hole above it.

With warm nights, and highs heading into the 90s, maybe the last of these for a while.
    Last edited by Owen; 05-28-2021 at 07:46 AM.

Default 2021-share your outings

Been a small pita trying to upload pics from my phone... hereís a shot from yesterday on the way to boulders just off the Volcanic Tablelands in the Owens Valley. The lush green in the mid-leftish distance is the Owens River ó a welcome habitat in an otherwise hot, arid high desert valley (Iím at 4,400í).

Hopefully this works. (Also, HDS featured in pic)

Last edited by Celery; 05-31-2021 at 11:10 AM.

Flashaholic*

Owens River in Owens Valley? Sounds like I'd fit right in there!
    I'm from Alabama, so also get a kick out of Dixie National Forest being in Utah, my favorite state.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    Owens River in Owens Valley? Sounds like I'd fit right in there!
    I'm from Alabama, so also get a kick out of Dixie National Forest being in Utah, my favorite state.
    Lol!! Yea it didnít occur to me until that last post.

Flashaholic*

Hey, your pic's showing up!
    One of the things I love about going out West is that it's so different from the SE. Almost everywhere within reasonable driving distance of me is practically 100% tree cover.
    We've got the greenery, and lots of flowing water, but 360į scenery and mountain views require some travel!

Flashaholic*

Way too much fun this week not to share.
    I was headed to Big South Fork in TN, but changed my mind about 2hrs away, and decided to go to the Laurel-Snow State Natural Area/Pocket Wilderness near Dayton, TN, instead.
    Having bought a couple hours daylight, I stopped at a nearby pizzeria with a unique little bookstore section for lunch.
    The pizza was okayish, but I got a kick out of the books.
    There were so many I could fill a page with them.

Laurel-Snow has two major waterfalls, predictably named Laurel and Snow Falls.
    I love the trail to Laurel Falls, which is diverse and beautiful.
    It parallels a creek on the way in...

..then diverges from it, and gains elevation to reach Laurel Falls.

^^That's the trail, under the boulder
    Unfortunately, Laurel Falls was barely a trickle.

At this point, I was having regrets about ditching my BSF plans, and decided against hiking to Snow Falls. Instead, I returned to the TH, and headed north.

Arriving at Big South Fork without a lot of daylight to spare, I dropped by Needle Arch and Needle Point Arch after sunset...

..and finished hiking to my campsite with my newest light, a Malkoff MDC HA 123 with 4000K SST-20.
    After making camp, I played flashlight for a bit, comparing the MDC with a Zebralight SC64w HI.
    The rosy and high CRI SST-20 shows greater depth of color, though not always better contrast, than the ZL's 4500K XHP35 HI, which is no slouch, itself.

It rained all through the night, and in the morning I set out to explore, and search for offtrail arches that I'd screenshotted location pings for.
    Getting offtrail to gain several hundred feet of elevation in steep gorges is a lot of work, and dangerous in places, due to obstacles and treacherous footing. It's hard to imagine anything more fun, and the prospect of seeing things that practically noone else does is exhilirating.

Visibility was poor, and it's hard to tell, but this is a triple called Golden Arches, measuring 80x50' total.

This is Sky High Arch.

Even when there aren't arches(or ones like the 2 I missed), the clifflines themselves can be captivating.

Is that an arch? I must have asked that out loud a couple of dozen times.

My exit was a drainage that took me down to a creek I waded down until reaching a point I could climb out and return to a trail.
    I used the drainage because, except for where there were dropoffs and steep cascades, it was faster, safer, and easier

On the way out, I followed a trail that would take me by Slave Falls, which had doubtless benefitted from the rain, to cap things off.

Then I drove home and went back to work
    One of these weeks, I'm gonna take TWO nights off...

Flashaholic*

Good thing summer brings longer days.
    This week's drive, that was already pushing the limit of my 5hr absolute max, ended up being 7hr 15m due to horrible traffic. Good thing I left straight from work, too! Fortunately, the drive back was 2hrs shorter...

Panthertown Valley, NC is a black bear sanctuary with numerous mapped falls. I dropped by for a dayhike on the way home from somewhere else ~8yrs ago, and had not been there since. I went back with the realistic(but unrealized) hope of seeing some black bears, and the expectation of touring a bunch of waterfalls and exploring above and below them.
    Since the bears weren't being sociable, here's some of the waterfalls visited while circumnavigating the "valley".

I have an overnighter planned that circles around nearby Caesar's Head and Jones Gap SPs in South Carolina, and includes the famous Rim of the Gap Trail. Other than that, hard pass on making that drive for a single overnight hike again

Owen,
    I am enjoying reading your posts, and viewing your pictures.
    They are so beautifully done, they could be screen savers.

Thank you!
    Poppy
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12