Flashlight Hopes/Wishes for 2021.

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
What are you hoping for in 2021 with regards our hobby? maybe a new light, perhaps some new tech/discovery?
Feel free to share, you never know, they may come true! ;)

for me, my Greatest wish is that some company like maybe Panasonic will finally make `C` and `D` sized Eneloops, that would be just Sooo perfect! :twothumbs for me at least.

How about you?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Rayovac (Varta) had some but now that a huge slice of that company is owned by the same folks who own Energizer they now bear the name Energizer Recharge.

I'd like to see a 1aa Maglite Solitaire.

mickb

Enlightened
I would like a lightweight straight sided 18650 based light at 1000 lumens/27KCD wit, remote pressure switch, decent recoil resistance, under $100 :)

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Graphene enhanced 21700 cells available and not just in a few battery packs but in single cells. Panasonic is making these but so far, they're just going in cars and one battery pack on kick starter.

A 2 amp 5 volt rollup solar charger with usb-c port to charge a usb-c charging 21700 light that will fit around the light in it's holster.

A warm white high cri l.e.d. flashlight with a mile of throw under $100.

edcninja

Newly Enlightened
Some better heat dissipation on some of my favorite lights. When using a lot of these rechargeable lights for an extended period while out camping at night, they get warm. Olight has done some good knurling work which acts somewhat like a heatsink but the lights still get kind of warm. Hopefully someone comes up with some new tech for that!

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am waiting for:

1. Acebeam 14 x SBT90.2 50,000 lumens, 2,000 meters throw: https.//acebeam.ru/katalog/kupit-moshhnyj-poiskovyj-fonar/acebeam-x65gt

2. And/or Imalent equivalent or near equivalent or other manufacturer near equivalent.

3. The successor to the SBT90.2 emitter. SBT110?

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd also like to see remote induction charging built into flashlights. If it's possible to make solar roadways that charge electric cars as they drive, they should be able to make a light that automatically charges as I move around in my house without removing it from my belt. They just have to make a rug that works to charge in tandum with the light.

Last edited:

kamagong

Newly Enlightened
I hope to get a HDS Rotary. I might just go ahead and bite the bullet this year.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
An unlikely long shot, but I'd like to see Tesla's 4680 cell become available which looks to weigh in with staggering capacity and decent current delivery potential.

I played with the ratios a while back to theorycraft its potential:
D3eT7Ir.png

• Peak Ah was the average 18650/21700/26650 Ah/cm³ multiplied by the volume
  • Peak I was the 18650/21700/26650 I/cm³ multiplied by the volume ... which strikes me as a tad unrealistic
  • Peak I corrected rel SA:V multiplied the previous calculation by the surface area:volume ratio relative to an 18650 ... which might also be high

Even at just 2C I think such a cell would make for a nice single-cell light with roughly the girth of a D-cell maglite that can offer long runtime and significant power output.

Of course they don't exist in the wild yet thus unlikely to be seen for several years.

for me, my Greatest wish is that some company like maybe Panasonic will finally make `C` and `D` sized Eneloops, that would be just Sooo perfect! :twothumbs for me at least.

I gather that they did make these at some point in time; the D consisted of 3x parallel AA cells in a shell C consisted of 4x parallel AA cells in a shell.

I'd also like to see remote induction charging built into flashlights. If it's possible to make solar roadways that charge electric cars as they drive, they should be able to make a light that automatically charges as I move around in my house without removing it from my belt. They just have to make a rug that works to charge in tandum with the light.

Written like a quality April Fool's day article. Maybe they'll perfect that wireless directed power that's going to be the "next wifi" soon enough.

Last edited:

Burgess

Flashaholic
Oh, and one more thing . . . . .

an AA version of Sofirn's C01 and C01S flashlights ! ! !

* * * P L E A S E * * *

:clap::hitit:

LedTed

Enlightened
I'll quote myself from BLF, "I'd love to see a: single emitter, triple secondary, 14500 powered, rear switch, tail standing, Andúril flashlight, with a pocket clip – from Hank. I'd be in for a half- dozen of them."

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I'll quote myself from BLF, "I'd love to see a: single emitter, triple secondary, 14500 powered, rear switch, tail standing, Andúril flashlight, with a pocket clip – from Hank. I'd be in for a half- dozen of them."

I'd be good for a few of those - and in a perfect world they would also accept AA / NiMH (at reduced performance, natch).

idleprocess

Flashaholic
sub 4 inch 21700 flashlight with anduril and thrower leds

Running up to the limit of 4" (101.6mm) and assuming a cell length of exactly 70mm, that leaves just shy of 1.25" (31.6mm) for tailcap, springs, LED, optics, lens, bezel. Tight margins and throw generally calls for deep optics.

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
...my Greatest wish is that some company like maybe Panasonic will finally make `C` and `D` sized Eneloops, that would be just Sooo perfect!...

A true C-cell and D-cell Eneloop would be fantastic. I have bought several different types of NiMH D-cells that were "LSD recommended", and none of them are nearly as "low self-discharge" as my AA Eneloops.

Also, I don't have a Sofirn HCRI AAA yet, but I don't know why there aren't more AA "keychainable" lights, considering that the AA cell isn't that much bigger than AAA, and have roughly 3x the energy storage density.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Written like a quality April Fool's day article. Maybe they'll perfect that wireless directed power that's going to be the "next wifi" soon enough.

I suggest you take a look at the products on https://wi-charge.com . Seems like the technology you're mocking may be starting to hit the market already. I see products that can deliver 2.25 watts of power from 12 feet away. Solar roadways aren't working too well because of damage to the panels from heavy vehicles running over them. Induction charging is a sound technology and more possibilities with it are currently advancing.

Edit:
Correction: wi-charge charges via infrared light, not induction. A couple other companies have similar products that work on radio frequency for charging (Occia's Cota and Energous' WattUp). Three companies are already working on remote wireless charging.

Last edited: