Got a Thrunite T2 coming my way

Rhodie

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I needed a torch to use to look over my tractor/trailer for my inspections. I got he Neutral White version because, if the tractor is leaking anywhere underneath I need a more natural lighting to determine if it is coolant or motor oil. I read somewhere that the NW has a slight green tint to it? If so, does the tint disappear at distances or is it prevalent throughout?

Thanks,
Dave

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got he Neutral White version because, if the tractor is leaking anywhere underneath I need a more natural lighting to determine if it is coolant or motor oil.

Congratulations on getting a light.

fwiw, the Neutral White is not High CRI (High ColorRenderingIndex),
so it is not ideal for distinguishing red colors

Red things will look brown, not natural red.
Works fine to show green colored fluid

works poorly to show the natural color of you skin, and not good for checking if the inside of a steak is rare.. since no red light is being produced by the LED.

to me the Neutral White LED does have green tint. Totally unacceptable to me personally, in my totally biased opinion. I only choose to use High CRI leds, because I insist on seeing red as red, not brown.

that is not a criticism of your purchase, it is a perfectly valid starting point from which you can develop a basis for future comparison. Some people dont mind Low CRI.. Im just not one ot them.

here is one of my Neutral White Thrunite lights, a T10T (the top light in the photo), next to one of my High CRI lights
you can see it makes the wood look green, which is not true
rmuWfGJl.jpg

here is the Thrunite after I changed the LED to High CRI (not an easy task, requires special tools)
zkG2H8yl.jpg

LEDs vary not only in CRI but also in Color Temperature, some are warmer, some are cooler.. its not a simple subject. But, most important is how you feel about the light you use, for the tasks you want it to serve.

I hope you enjoy, and share your impressions of your new light.

Last edited:

Rhodie

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for taking the time to educate me and bringing your perspective into light. I just canceled my order and back to square one. I guess doing some diligent homework is in order.

Rhodie

Newly Enlightened
I take that back. Just got an email telling me that my T2 had already shipped so I was unable to cancel.. As you mentioned, I can always use it for comparison, just not the intended purpose the light was meant for in the first place.

Thanks again for your time...

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can always use it for comparison, just not the intended purpose the light was meant for in the first place.

please dont give up on the light you chose, based solely on my opinion
at the very least, take a night to form your own opinion, in your own use scenario

Consider it part of your education, what I call a Flashlight $eminar :)

IF you truly hate it, you can probably return it

it may also be possible for you to pay a fee to someone capable of upgrading the LED...

it would be impossible to find someone on this forum, that only owns one light,
because the first one they bought was good enough for their (evolving) wants and needs..

the vast majority buy one light after another, each time a new variable is discovered, or a new want/need arises.
And I would venture a guess that there are more people here that think Low CRI is fine.

otoh, for the unique task of inspecting automotive fluids, some people add a UV flashlight to their arsenal, and use special UV dye for different fluids.. the poster named RCS1300 has several posts about how he uses his UV light for auto maintenance, here is one of them

im sending you a private message with a few more details

dmattaponi

Enlightened
I really like the Nw Thrunite. In fact I choose them over cool white. If it helps you to feel better, the cool white has its own issues with color rendition. I've always found them to make things look unnatural compared to neutral white. I don't note green tint on my Thrunites except for maybe on the lowest settings.

The neutral white is much more like the incandescent lights of yesteryear, which I much prefer to the average cool white led.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Rhodie

Newly Enlightened
please dont give up on the light you chose, based solely on my opinion
at the very least, take a night to form your own opinion, in your own use scenario

Consider it part of your education, what I call a Flashlight $eminar :)

IF you truly hate it, you can probably return it

it may also be possible for you to pay a fee to someone capable of upgrading the LED...

it would be impossible to find someone on this forum, that only owns one light,
because the first one they bought was good enough for their (evolving) wants and needs..

the vast majority buy one light after another, each time a new variable is discovered, or a new want/need arises.
And I would venture a guess that there are more people here that think Low CRI is fine.

otoh, for the unique task of inspecting automotive fluids, some people add a UV flashlight to their arsenal, and use special UV dye for different fluids.. the poster named RCS1300 has several posts about how he uses his UV light for auto maintenance, here is one of them

im sending you a private message with a few more details

Your PM didn't make it to my box?

Rhodie

Newly Enlightened
I really like the Nw Thrunite. In fact I choose them over cool white. If it helps you to feel better, the cool white has its own issues with color rendition. I've always found them to make things look unnatural compared to neutral white. I don't note green tint on my Thrunites except for maybe on the lowest settings.

The neutral white is much more like the incandescent lights of yesteryear, which I much prefer to the average cool white led.

That's what I like to hear. It is due to arrive Sunday.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
good

as you can see, everyone has their own opinion

so I think you are doing well
by buying and trying, and forming your own opinion

enjoy your lights ;-)

dmattaponi

Enlightened
Update...I recently got another Thrunite T10II in neutral white. I bought my first in 2018. The older one has the yellowish neutral tint that I've come to expect. The newer one has a completely different tint. The two aren't even close in color. It's still not what I'd consider green, but it's not at all like what I described in my original comments above.

Rhodie

Newly Enlightened
Update...I recently got another Thrunite T10II in neutral white. I bought my first in 2018. The older one has the yellowish neutral tint that I've come to expect. The newer one has a completely different tint. The two aren't even close in color. It's still not what I'd consider green, but it's not at all like what I described in my original comments above.

Hello, I just got my T2 about a half hour ago and it is now charging. Not sure how long it will take to charge? I have read anywhere between an hour to up to 5 hours. I am recording the time for my own records. I should be able to fire it up this evening after charging is complete. I am hoping that I will not be disappointed in the tint.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am hoping that I will not be disappointed in the tint.
you probably will be fine when using it as a single source of light, that your brain can adjust itself to.
especially at night, when for the most part it will just look white, due to being bright

problems only arise when you start to compare, for example to an incandescent light.. or a High CRI LED light. And particularly when looking at organic things, that have red pigments...

Both black hosts are stock recent model aaa Thrunite Ti3 V2:
tprjExGl.jpg

Update...I recently got another Thrunite T10II in neutral white. I bought my first in 2018. The older one has the yellowish neutral tint that I've come to expect. The newer one has a completely different tint. The two aren't even close in color.
this next post bears you out
an older on left w the newer version on right, called V2
Venice said:
Here are the original and V2:
BlMbEYFl.jpg
different tint, still low CRI
I believe the older ones were XP-L, not the present XP-G2, which imo helps account for the tint differences...

as they say, it is what it is

Im fortunate to have learned to swap my own LEDs.. choices are good:

K3ualJ6l.jpg

Hello, I just got my T2 about a half hour ago and it is now charging.

congrats.. hope you enjoy the Host.. LEDs can be changed..

Last edited:

dmattaponi

Enlightened
Hello, I just got my T2 about a half hour ago and it is now charging. Not sure how long it will take to charge? I have read anywhere between an hour to up to 5 hours. I am recording the time for my own records. I should be able to fire it up this evening after charging is complete. I am hoping that I will not be disappointed in the tint.

Looking forward to reading what you think of it when you try it out.

dmattaponi

Enlightened
you probably will be fine when using it as a single source of light, that your brain can adjust itself to.
especially at night, when for the most part it will just look white, due to being bright

problems only arise when you start to compare, for example to an incandescent light.. or a High CRI LED light. And particularly when looking at organic things, that have red pigments...

Both black hosts are stock recent model aaa Thrunite Ti3 V2:
tprjExGl.jpg

this next post bears you out
an older on left w the newer version on right, called V2

different tint, still low CRI
I believe the older ones were XP-L, not the present XP-G2, which imo helps account for the tint differences...

as they say, it is what it is

Im fortunate to have learned to swap my own LEDs.. choices are good:

K3ualJ6l.jpg

congrats.. hope you enjoy the Host.. LEDs can be changed..

Thanks for sharing the comparisons.

Rhodie

Newly Enlightened
Well I got her all charged up, took just under 3 hours (2:50) to do so. Getting used to the UI right now. I assume that when I get a red flash on the switch that it indicates lock out mode, I'm guessing? I like the clip, and the ability to hang it off the bill of your cap. Though, doing so not quite sure how secure it would be since the light in itself has some heft to it. @ Jon Slider, my beam looks like the SW40 that you photographed in your above post. I will be interested on how it will perform at work tomorrow.