Keeppower 18500 2300mAh - What is behind?

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have also been wondering for the past few days: It is marked as ~1mm shorter than the P1850J2, which means it should fit more devices in series while easing pressure on springs. Nowhere is current capacity specified, may be the same cell as the Vapcell L22? Until HKJ or mooch or someone else lets us know...In the meantime, I have four P1850C3 incoming from Illumn :)

Last edited:

tuelleric

Enlightened
Interesting finding, adamlau. As far as I can see
- P1850J2 uses Panasonic NCR18500
- P1850C2 uses Panasonic NCR18500A

Based on the shorter dimensions of the P1850C3 it looks like it uses indeed a different cell.

tuelleric

Enlightened
Did your new cells arrive already? What is your first impression? I would appreciate if you could share youre thoughs.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did your new cells arrive already? What is your first impression? I would appreciate if you could share youre thoughs.

Yes they have.

img1.jpg

The purple cells are NCR18500A (which I rewrapped due to the exposed cathode). My only thought for the moment is that the reduction in total height is due to reductions in the thickness of the PCB and the button top. Although I now have four P1850C3, I do not plan on passing the cells through C-D-C cycles in order to verify capacity or discharge rates mapped to temps: I will let HKJ do the dirty work ;) . I am merely working under the (potentially inaccurate) assumption that these cells should be able to handle 1.5A continuous draw without reaching unsafe temps between 2100-2200mAh based on the metrics of the Vapcell L22. A spacer is still recommended for use in a Malkoff MD3 host to help relieve spring tension.

tuelleric

Enlightened
Thanks a lot for sharing! Good to see that they are a little bit shorter. I solved the issue with the spring tension in my MD3 by adding a lanyard ring. As far as I can see, the shorter but unprotected Vapcell has a recessed flat top, so a magnet would be required.

CuriousOne

Enlightened
Well, Chinese factories are making 18650s with real 3100-3200mAh capacity for couple of years, so no surprise then now can make 2300mAh 18500s....

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like the perfect cell for my FM 18500/AA build.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as I can see, the shorter but unprotected Vapcell has a recessed flat top, so a magnet would be required.
No magnet should be required: I have four L22 incoming which were ordered as button top directly from Vapcell. Otherwise, I would use the Oveready 5mm spacer in between cells. Unlike a magnet, an aluminum post which has been press-fit through Delrin should never shift and cause a short. And yes, 2x18650 unprotected with a 5mm spacer fits perfectly in an MD4 with bumpers front and rear :thumbsup:

img1.jpg

Last edited:

tuelleric

Enlightened
That spacer is cool, I think I will make one for my MD4. Maybe in combination with a (shorter) ring magnet so it cannot get lost and the aluminum core for better conductivity.

Last edited:

tuelleric

Enlightened
The size looks really good. I might buy some for my MD3 as well.

Their corresponding INR 18650 3600 mAh seems to be perfect for a MD4, if you want to run unprotected cells. Quote from their website:
Button top can be added, and the size is 2-3mm longer than a standard 18650 cell...

md17

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a lot for sharing! Good to see that they are a little bit shorter. I solved the issue with the spring tension in my MD3 by adding a lanyard ring. As far as I can see, the shorter but unprotected Vapcell has a recessed flat top, so a magnet would be required.
Hello. I know this is an old thread, but what was the issue caused by spring tension when using the 2000mah keeppower 18500? Was the light not working ? I am trying to trouble shoot an md3 issue.