• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

New Product - NITECORE T4K 4000 Lumen Rechargeable Keychain Light

NitecoreStore

Enlightened

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Incredibly powerful for the size! :cool:

Contrary to the smaller ones it fits well in the hand but it is hardly a keychain light also because of the weight.

Tasky

Newly Enlightened
Contrary to the smaller ones it fits well in the hand but it is hardly a keychain light also because of the weight.
They said the same about the TUP, yet that takes up about the same volume as most switchblade style VAG car keys and is smaller than many Smart keys...

I'm more concerned that it's only IP54 rated, and the USB is horribly exposed.
I'm not sure it's worth getting if you already have the TUP.

Scotty321

Newly Enlightened
They said the same about the TUP, yet that takes up about the same volume as most switchblade style VAG car keys and is smaller than many Smart keys...

I'm more concerned that it's only IP54 rated, and the USB is horribly exposed.
I'm not sure it's worth getting if you already have the TUP.

I can only assume (since I don't have the keychain lights) that the those wanting a more floody beam might like it. I have the i4000R which it's my understanding the T4K is based off of, and wouldn't mind a bit more throw if used mostly outdoors or in bigger structures. For example, if I was walking out to my car in an outdoor airport parking lot, I might gravitate towards the TUP, where if I was mostly in indoors or in dark, small parking areas I would probably prefer the T4K. Similarly, if I needed it to do work at close distances, e.g. checking a circuit breaker, preparing a meal in the kitchen with the power out, working under the hood of the car, or changing a flat tire in the dark, I might prefer the T4K.

The floodiness significantly cuts down on the range of these lights. For example, for scanning things at 50 yards, I'll use the i4000R at it's 1,100 lumen setting (3,330 cd), while at the same time I'll use the P20i at it's 280 lumens (3,500 cd) for the same distance. For use under 25 yards, such as navigating for black ice while walking in a parking lot, the i4000R's beam is much more pleasant to follow for long durations because of the almost imperceptable hotspot.

Looking at the specs for their "mid" and "high" modes, which I would think would be most used in unknown areas, the TUP's cd is around 3 times more at the same lumen levels, and the distance is rated at around twice that of the T4K at comparable lumens. The "turbo" modes are nice to have, but because of the time restraints, I consider judging performance on that level is limited to short burst needs, which suggests relatively rare usage, and therefore not a good parameter when comparing unless specifically purchased for that need.

Since the TUP has a similar IP rating, I would think it has similar resilience... or lack thereof.

Personally, for my needs I find that the 1xCR123 or 1X14500 lights are about the same size, and I can live without the multi second turbo if I can get a 400-800 lumen steady floody beam with a little bit of throw for a minute at a time.

Tasky

Newly Enlightened
For example, if I was walking out to my car in an outdoor airport parking lot, I might gravitate towards the TUP, where if I was mostly in indoors or in dark, small parking areas I would probably prefer the T4K.
The TUP is a reasonable balance of flood and throw, to be fair. I'd probably describe it as a narrow-beam flood, which results in more throw than you'd expect but not as much as a dedicated thrower...
hen comparing unless specifically purchased for that need.

Since the TUP has a similar IP rating, I would think it has similar resilience... or lack thereof.[/qute]
Indeed, although the TUP does at least have a cover over the port.