Unboxing an Imalent MS18

mtasquared

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,

Just wanted to share how an Imalent MS18 comes packaged when shipped to USA from Hong Kong, and also a couple data. From order date to my doorstep in New Jersey was 9 days. First impression this is a massive quality product with a 2 mm gauge aluminum shell, with thicker lens ring. It weighs 4 pounds. The handle is 2.25" in diameter, and may require large hands. The bit on the lens housing that looks like a knob is actually an attachment point for the strap, and the rear metal cap over the charging port has circumferential slots which are the rear attachment point for the strap. The light orange peel reflector for the 18 Cree LED's comes to a very sharp point in the middle of the light housing, which I admit is pleasurable just to look at just for the geometry. Cheers!

Last edited:

zoulas

Newly Enlightened
Impressive. I dont think I ever spent more then $150 on a light and this one is about 4 x that amount. Good luck with it.

mtasquared

Newly Enlightened
Impressive. I dont think I ever spent more then $150 on a light and this one is about 4 x that amount. Good luck with it.

Thanks!! I don't work for Imalent, but it is crazy expensive for a flashlight. My wife finds it useful to joke about it. But as long as it continues to function, and lives up to its promising build quality and heft, I so far consider it to be a decent purchase. One thing is that the Cree LED's mounted in it appear to be the real thing, and they must account for a big part of the price.

Did the light work when you turned it on?

Yeah, I was wondering what would happen when I pressed the power button. Here is a little story about what happened. I was thinking, I'll just take it slow, and work up to the higher level slowly. Did I read the instructions? Of course not, I mean not as well as I should have. So I pressed the button and 700 soft lumens appeared. Then a couple of fumbled button pushes later and with increasing disturbance I found myself with 100000 lumens bouncing off the ceiling, and bathing in a constantly-on photographic-flash level of light. My wife was like "what are you DOING" from the next room. I fumbled more with the switch and finally turned it off. It was very bright. Then my wife comes in, grabs and takes a look at it, then shines it on me. I'm like, WTH. Luckily it was on 700 lumens.

Anyway, kind of funny story aside, this is an unusual flashlight. Here is what I should have known: Push the control button and hold to cycle through 700, 2000, 10000, 20000, 60000 lumens. Release to lock in the lumen level. Double press for 100000 lumens. There is a LED display which displays lumens alternating with supply voltage.

Last edited:

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like a great wife and great light! :thumbsup:

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have not had any bad luck with five my Imalent lights.

My Imalent lights:

July 2019, Imalent R90TS. Awesome power thrower.
Oct 2019, MS18. Awesome power flooder.
June, 2020, two MS03. Awesome pocket flooder.
Dec. 2020, MS06. Mid size awesome power thrower.

For a few years, before 2019, I eyed the daring lineup of Imalent lights, but I waited until both GoingGear and Vinh54 started carrying them. Then I jumped into the Acebeam/Imalent competition. All five of my Imalent lights passed through Vinhs' hands before coming my way.

mtasquared

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like a great wife and great light! :thumbsup:

Glad you enjoyed the story! Fortunately I'm not always running off buying a gadget. Often enough, though. :grin2:

I have not had any bad luck with five my Imalent lights.

My Imalent lights:

July 2019, Imalent R90TS. Awesome power thrower.
Oct 2019, MS18. Awesome power flooder.
June, 2020, two MS03. Awesome pocket flooder.
Dec. 2020, MS06. Mid size awesome power thrower.

For a few years, before 2019, I eyed the daring lineup of Imalent lights, but I waited until both GoingGear and Vinh54 started carrying them. Then I jumped into the Acebeam/Imalent competition. All five of my Imalent lights passed through Vinhs' hands before coming my way.

I am very glad you had no problems with your Imalent lights! I kind of hope I don't end up with a paperweight, though it is heavy enough to be a very good paperweight.

FYI, I was kind of interested in the Acebeam W30. Probably don't need such a thing. But that's another thread I guess. Cheers!

Last edited: