16650 vs (2) 16340

Travis b

Newly Enlightened
I picked up an old E2D and just ordered a lumensfactory e2 led for it. My question is which battery setup would be better? 2 16340's or a single 16650? I assume the 2 cells would give a longer output and run time.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
LF rates the runtime as such
1x16650 40min
2xCR123 90min
2x16340 60min

I emailed them recently to confirm and output is fully current regulated and is supposed to be the same for all three battery inputs.

Out of curiosity does anybody find the beam to be too floody? The hotspot is pretty good but A LOT of lumens are soaked up b that huge, floody spill.

Travis b

Newly Enlightened
Since I'm running rechargeables I'm more interested in output. But I'm eager to hear if you get a reply from them.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
A 2500mAh 16650 is going to have a lot more capacity, and much longer runtime, than two 600-800mAh 16340s.
It's just going to fall out of regulation sooner.
If you want maximum brightness for a full hour, great-2x16340.
The same light on a 16650 is probably going to run for triple that, it's just going to be getting continually dimmer after falling out of regulation. It may very well double your usable runtime, though, if half the initial output is "usable" to you.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like we need somebody willing to do a good runtime/output graph!

hamhanded

Enlightened
Out of curiosity does anybody find the beam to be too floody? The hotspot is pretty good but A LOT of lumens are soaked up b that huge, floody spill.

I have an E1 LED and thought the same. I also found the Lumens Factory E-series reflectors have a less focused hotspot and more spill than the original SureFire reflector. You can see this with the original incandescent also.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I initially swapped out my old P60 lamp for an LED version in my OG 6P, the only option back then was a pair of 16340 cells to drive the thing. Well at least that was the option I went with. I think the 17670s were still hard to find or something so that's how I powered it to start.

Now I will admit to having bought some cheap 16340s so I am sure that had I started out with better cells, I might have stuck with that format but it still sticks in my mind the night that I was lighting up a project a friend of mine was working on in his back yard at 10 or 11 o'clock at night and basically getting around 15 -20 minutes of run time before they died completely. You will get waaaay more run time on a single 16650 than you will with a pair of 16340s. Not to mention that you won't have to even think about balancing the charge on the cells. Remember, that can still happen where one cell discharges faster than the other and may cause a problem.

Last edited: