best throw head for malkoff md3

klip88

Newly Enlightened
I want a throw head for MD3 I have two woods lights but per advice from other forum members they say a throw is great for spotting animals between the trees... so yea whats the best head for an MD3 for this purpose? not hunting btw just me and my kid at night in the woods exploring

klip88

Newly Enlightened
I havent bought my MD3 yet but if better throw around im all ears... I have a MDC AA and 2xAA thats it... fantastic for the trails and exploring woods but when I want to see inbetween trees the spill makes it so it diffuses going through the trees pretty quickly

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the MD3 body I'd recommend the M91T head, it's not quite as throwy as the Hounddog but if you haven't got them side by side to compare you won't notice the difference.

The M91T with MD3 body will still be a relatively compact pocket light. It'll run on 3 X CR123's or 2 X 18500's. With the 18500's you get about 1.5 hours of runtime.

I'd recommend ordering it with the high/low ring switch to make it a more versatile package.

klip88

Newly Enlightened
For the MD3 body I'd recommend the M91T head, it's not quite as throwy as the Hounddog but if you haven't got them side by side to compare you won't notice the difference.

The M91T with MD3 body will still be a relatively compact pocket light. It'll run on 3 X CR123's or 2 X 18500's. With the 18500's you get about 1.5 hours of runtime.

I'd recommend ordering it with the high/low ring switch to make it a more versatile package.
Finally pulled the trigger on this set up can't wait for it to come I

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Boy I don't know. The hound dog has more then double the lux as the 91T. Should be quite a difference in throw between the two.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Lol can't go wrong either way. I absolutely love my 91T. It should give you plenty of throw.

LEDphile

Enlightened
Boy I don't know. The hound dog has more then double the lux as the 91T. Should be quite a difference in throw between the two.
Double the candela results in an increase of the throw distance (distance to a specific light level) of about 40% due to the inverse-square law. So not a massive increase, but not zero, either.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M91T and M61HOT are nowhere close to a Hound Dog. They are not at all comparable in actual use.
uVyvI0s.jpg

Zebralight SC64w HI(1300 lumens)
M61HOT(with Lee 206 filter to help the tint)
Houng Dog XP-L 4000K
From my work, not the woods, but whatever...
J59clLZ.png

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Agree. The HD should throw way more then the 91T. I do not have the new HD so can't compare. But the reflector 18650 HD stomps my 91T

klip88

Newly Enlightened
The M91T and M61HOT are nowhere close to a Hound Dog. They are not at all comparable in actual use.
View attachment 15821
Zebralight SC64w HI(1300 lumens)
M61HOT(with Lee 206 filter to help the tint)
Houng Dog XP-L 4000K
From my work, not the woods, but whatever...
View attachment 15822
Your beam shots made me change my order to hound dog with the Malkoff's, can't wait for it to arrive

klip88

Newly Enlightened
update hound dog arrived and wow that's a lot of light def got what I asked for when I said throw light hahahaha