Help finding a budget 18650 flashlight with a memory switch and zoom head

m_explorer

Newly Enlightened
Hi - I am hoping someone can help me find a replacement LED flashlight.

Background: I use the flashlight three or four times a week for general household tasks. Occasionally, I use it to sweep around 3/4 of an acre of land in search of strange noises.

Currently, I use a Coast 650 with 4xAA batteries. Here is what I like and what I want to change.

Like:

* best feature is the twist head for flood or spot focus
* polymer coating over stainless steel has a good feel (especially in very cold weather)
* Manufacturer support is very good - after 4 years, they replaced the battery holder and tail cap free
* It tail stands
* Length and weight are OK - 8" long and 325 grams (1 lb 1.5 oz) with batteries
* Just barely bright enough at 700 lumen

What I want to change:

* I really dislike the on/off button that does not remember the last setting.
* The battery holder does not seem to hold batteries firmly in place.
* At times, it is not quite bright enough.

So, that said, here is what I am looking for:

* A budget of $40.00 or less from an on-line vendor. (Yes, I do realize my budget narrows my choices considerably. Some people may look at this as a search for the best of the worst, but I am hoping the wide breath of knowledge in this forum can suggest one or two flashlights that meet my wish list.)

* Brightness is important. 900 - 1200 lumen would help me.

* A button that remembers the last setting. I don't need SOS or flashing mode but it would be Ok if they were "hidden". I would like any of these settings: high/low, high/med/low or high/med/low/moon.

* Power from 1 or 2 18650 or 21700 Li-Ion rechargeable batteries. I would also like to be able to charge the batteries while inside the flashlight if possible. Water-proofing in not a big issue.

* A zoom head. Some times I am searching an area for something (like in my basement or attic) and the flood setting helps. Other times, the spot light helps when I am looking out to the fence-line is search of strange noises. I also like the twist head over the slide forward and backward. I have seen flashlights where the head slides by itself when tilted up or down.

* Size and finish are secondary considerations. Anywhere from 4" - 8" is fine. Anodized aluminum or a polymer outer surface are fine. It would be nice if it tail stands.

OK, that is it :) And if you are still reading this far - Thank you. I know it is a lot to ask for very little money, but I hope it is possible.

Happy New Year and may 2021 be better than 2020.

Truckvet

Newly Enlightened
I would suggest the [h=1]Convoy M21C-U flashlight.[/h]
Instead of using a Zoom just
learn how to turn the levels of the
Light up and down

This is a much more powerful
light than what your used to and
takes a 21700 battery.

If you Google the name and look
for coupons you should be able to
fit it in your budget.

I don't know if it comes with the
battery so it may be a bit more.
But Convoy is a good budget
brand of Flashlight for the money.

Watch some videos of Convoy
Flashlights to learn more about them.

I don't work for Convoy and have
nothing to do with them.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good luck with that. You're not likely to find a single flashlight with all of your wants. Especially the plastic outer shell and zooming adjustment, well... for under $40 anyway.

Streamlight makes a light that does the "twist-to-focus" thing but it's not cheap. The Polystinger has the plastic shell and rechargeable NiMh cell with their own custom charging sleeve. They claim 485 lumens.

Fenix FD30 is an adjustable focus light rated at 900 lumens.

Klarus makes their FX10 which has built-in micro-usb charging and an adjustable beam. It's a twisty and also has both dual tail switches and a side switch. Klarus claims 1000 lumens on high. It's an older light though and may not be so easy to find, but you might get a discount on it when you do.

Truckvet

Newly Enlightened
If you go on Youtube, Put in Convoy Flashlight, Put in the filter last year,
Then scroll down the flashlights and look at the ones that seem to fit
in your budget. Often times if you click on Show more there will be
a code for 20 percent off on a flashlight if you buy it at a certain place.

m_explorer

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for your comments. If the flashlight I was looking for existed, I knew this forum would know...