10 years later need new lion batteries (things have changed!)

Darth_Cholo

Newly Enlightened
For reference haven't bought a lion in probably 10years. Because of vaping the space has gone mainstream. I got a old Fenix TK10, Thrunite Catapult V2 and a Jetbeam 1X18650 that i'm looking for lion replacements. Newer flashlights I've purchased were AA for the family so no lion for them.

It seems like the go to AW brand protected batteries have gone out of business. What's the go to brand for 18650 and rcr123a in the current market? There were so many garbage brands like ultrafire i remember so looking for a shortcut to get some new lions for my old lights. I really like my old Catapult for it's stainless strike bezel, and heft as a nightstand blunt instrument nightstand light.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been buying the Orbtronic brand batteries lately. About 3 years ago I bought 2 of their 18650s and they're still working. I recently bought a bunch of their 16650 li-ion to go into various lights that have a 2x cr123a body.

I can also use the 16650 in some of my older lights that were intended for 18650, but aren't big enough to take the fatter diameters of the recent 18650 types.

Orbtronic ships from Florida in a pretty reasonable amount of time, even with standard shipping. You can buy direct from their website and it has an Amazon Pay option, which is handy if you have an account.

(edit: also, the 16650 capacity is about 2200 mAh, essentially the same as the early AW 18650, so you don't give up much by running them)

Last edited:

Darth_Cholo

Newly Enlightened
I've been buying the Orbtronic brand batteries lately. About 3 years ago I bought 2 of their 18650s and they're still working. I recently bought a bunch of their 16650 li-ion to go into various lights that have a 2x cr123a body.

I can also use the 16650 in some of my older lights that were intended for 18650, but aren't big enough to take the fatter diameters of the recent 18650 types.

Orbtronic ships from Florida in a pretty reasonable amount of time, even with standard shipping. You can buy direct from their website and it has an Amazon Pay option, which is handy if you have an account.

(edit: also, the 16650 capacity is about 2200 mAh, essentially the same as the early AW 18650, so you don't give up much by running them)

Thanks. will try out a pair from them

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just be aware that new 18650 cells are a good bit fatter than the old AW cells. I've got a TK11 and TK30 that none of the later cells will fit (any brand, Fenix, Nitecore, Samsung...)

Might want to just order two in order to make sure they fit if you're getting 18650.

Their 16650s that I bought do fit my Quark 2x123a lights, which are notoriously tight.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been in the same boat. There's even an old AW protected 18650 in my work light right now.
Not an expert on batteries, but after shopping around, I've decided to keep it simple, and standardize on the 3500mAh Sanyo NCR18650GA. This is what Zebralight sells, what Orbtronic relabels(along with selling the regular version for less??), and Keeppower(likely Orbtronic, too-haven't seen the data sheet on that one) uses as a base for their protected 3500mAh button tops.
Illumn seems like a no-brainer for a source. They have some of the lowest prices I've seen on both the unprotected cell and the protected Keeppowers, as well as being reputable.
I don't know that these are the "best" 18650s, but they're well-proven and readily available.

^^^That's good advice from Stress_Test on checking for fit before buying in. I'm waiting on a replacement for my old Malkoff MD2's body, right now. That's why it has the old AW cell in it. The protected Keeppowers won't fit, and even the unprotected Orbtronics with thicker or extra wrapper barely will.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keeppower has 16650s with 2600 mAh capacities. I own 4 of them and they have been great. Perfectly sized for two 123A cells.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
My old Fenix TK11 R2 doesn't take protected cells over 2900 mAh AW cells. Try unprotected cells. Panasonic 3400 mAh unprotected cells work in my light.

Darth_Cholo

Newly Enlightened
For my Thrunite catapult v2 i put some electrical tape on my aw18650 cells for a tighter fit so I think it could accommodate slightly larger cells. For my other lights going wirh rcr123s.

Ordered a pair of orbtronics they say is based on panasonic NCR18650B. We'll see.

DuncanHynes

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, I am in the same boat-- sorta. I use now with good results Eagtac 3400 5A green tops from GoingGear. I have more lights now than cells so went looking. Did see they have a "new 2020 version" green cell with brass button rated up to 10Amps and a 'blue top' 3600 rated to what says 10A+. $15 and $18 respectively on Illum. What say you guys to these? I will try them out. Hope they fit all my headlamps.