Looking for a compact UV flashlight for spotting scorpions (not hunting)

cdm-dude

Newly Enlightened
*Couldn't find a UV-dedicated forum, so, I hope I won't get yelled at for posting here.

I'm a 'desert' hiker. There are scorpions here. I really need to be able to spot them when they're near me. I want to avoid them, which is very different from when someone goes out to actively locate (and collect) them. This is why, at least in theory, I should be able to get away with just a 'cheapo' UV flashlight that does the (very basic) job. I will probably need to buy 2 or even 3, and I'll use those lights in very specific scenarios, which will be 'hardly ever'. So, no point in spending $$$ on something that I will almost never use. Nevertheless, when I DO need to shine some UV light around me, the flashlight has to deliver! I will pay what I have to pay for what I need. And this is what I had in mind:

• A compact unit: I would really like something that takes a single, regular AA or even AAA cell (primary Lithium is what I'll be using). I could settle for a 14500 'setup' but nothing that takes 18650 cells, please. I might consider that weird 3XAAA setup but only if there is really nothing else for me.

• Emitter size: Again, I need something very compact. All UV flashlights that I was able to google have multiple LEDs, which also makes them "fat". I want a model where the head is flush with the main body. I really need something that's slim and very pocketable.

• Output: Don't care about the actual light wavelength as long as it gets the job done, which is: lighting up scorpions. Honestly, I would be OK with something that's effective up to around 8 feet (in complete darkness) but, possibly, even less than that.

• Modes: Just one '"full" on /off' would be fine by me. I want a 'clicky', so there's no parasitic drain. If there are different "intensities" then I would prefer a unit with a PWM-free driver.

• Construction / Durability: Don't care about weather sealing but I do want to stay away from garbage that gives out after just one bad fall. *Would love to have my flashlights in a color that's other than "tactical black". Actually, I can see myself buying something that's made of plastic, as long as dropping it on the rocks a couple of times is not guaranteed to kill it.

Any ideas? Thanks!

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man. If you were open to 18650 the Convoy S2+ Nichia 365nm UV LED 1Mode OP Reflector Flashlight for around 30 bucks is exactly what you need.

You can go with the SK68 uv version. They are compact lights and are fairly robust. They are a zoomie and made pretty decently. You could buy 10 of them for a little bit of nothing. I'll pm you a link. If cheap, decently tough, easy to use UV that you can buy in bulk and not break the bank you won't beat these.

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
+1 on the Convoy. You need something with 365nm + Woods Glass filter to get decent contrast between the subject and random stuff on the ground. The low price of the Convoy makes it a good choice without having to commit to a higher priced option.

cdm-dude

Newly Enlightened
Nope and nope.

Not looking for anything "fancily-made" or bulky 'zoomies'.

Again, I'm not hunting the darned bugs, so I don't need a "thrower". Something that can visibly light up a scorpion from 8 feet away (or even less) would be totally fine.

I've seen some UV "pen lights", which I think take a couple of AAA cells but I'm pretty sure those are for spotting fake money bills. They're very compact (just what I need) but I would guess that they have a very narrow beam and the intensity probably isn't enough for my needs.

I've never used a UV flashlight in my life, let alone, outdoors, looking for scorpions in the dark around my tent. So, I don't really know which wavelength would be best or what kind of output I actually need. And it's a real mess out there. I could really use some input from people who have actual experience with this kind of thing.

*I may have the wrong idea but I think I would actually prefer the light to be semi-visible, so that I can see exactly what area the beam actually covers.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
So you want smaller than an sk68? This will be tough. Those lights are very small. Hopefully someone knows exactly what you need. Good luck

cdm-dude

Newly Enlightened
That Convoy has a single UV LED, so there is hope. It's pretty compact and it ticks almost every other box. The reflector looks floody enough, however the 18650 cell is a no-go.

I don't care about the runtime. Those specs, but a 3 X AAA setup and we could probably end this discussion right here. I am not looking for anything that's specifically "ultra-cheap". I just figured that my 'demands' do not dictate a high price tag. I'll pay whatever I have to though, but, please, nothing fancy-schmansy.

cdm-dude

Newly Enlightened
There's a million UV flashlights. I figured that maybe I could even use a silicone diffuser on a pen light, as long as the output is right, or something like that. I am open to modding and the end product does not have to be waterproof, so we can cross that off the spec list.

cdm-dude

Newly Enlightened
Customlites offers a P60 drop-in.

I don't see how it would fit in a 14500 body though, so, the only option for me would be to find a cheap 3XAAA 'host' and DIY the hell out of it. But then, I'm not even sure what I'd have to do about the connections.
They don't make like a "P50", do they? Because I would love a drop-in that's about 17mm wide, somewhere in that area.

Also, I'm not crazy about all those 'modes'. It's not an absolute must but I would like to have just a simple, (full power) on/off switch.

It is a solution though, and the cost would be agreeable, so I'll keep it in mind. Thanks!

My close to ideal solution would be something like the Fenix E11 (but in UV). It's got the perfect dimensions for me, no clip, it's very sleek and has a simple clicky. I realize I would have to run it on a 14500 though, but that's OK. See? I am willing to compromise but, seriously, am I asking too much? (I know I'm not).

cdm-dude

Newly Enlightened
PS:

Don't know how it slipped my mind but I would totally go for a (single) CR123A UV flashlight... And there are plenty of non-UV CR123A models to choose from, so maybe I can work something out.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go with a Convoy S2 (deeper reflector than the S2+ for increased throw) 7135x5 LG. Better yet. replace the stock OP reflector with an SMO purchased from the Convoy store on Aliexpress. Any 18650 battery compartment can be fitted with an Oveready AA (18mm diameter) sleeve + Oveready 15mm extension (18mm diameter) to accomodate 14500. Or consider the Weltool M2-CF with a reflector for distance spotting. The M2-CF uses the same LG emitter as the Convoy S2.

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
...UV flashlight... regular AA
nothing that takes 18650 cells.

For less than $15, you get a single mode UV light that runs on single AA
KISS

pic is a link. Be sure to choose the 365nm option.

Last edited:

cdm-dude

Newly Enlightened
For less than $15, you get a single mode UV light that runs on single AA
KISS

pic is a link. Be sure to choose the 365nm option.

Thanks! Not a bad option but because of the dimensions I may as well go for a 18650 light. This is what I found:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32873025585.html

I know I said no 18650, and that has not changed. However, I actually do have two "14500 to 18650" adapters/sleeves that I am not using. Didn't wanna go this route but it is not a bad compromise.
The Convoy S2 is a little thicker than I would prefer but it is very streamlined. No annoying clip or anything like that, and an awesome, recessed clicker. Just one (full on) mode, which is perfect! Plus, this one has that UV filter installed.

I realize that the very first guy who responded to me in this thread suggested this very light but I wanted to see if I could get away with something smaller and closer to my "requirements".
And it looks like I might. So, for now, I don't think I'll be getting the S2, at least until I get and test this other light. Read below.

Last edited:

cdm-dude

Newly Enlightened
Olight i5UV might work for you. 365nm, single AA, rear on/off clicky.

Wow, man! Where were you all this time!? Dude, that light is exactly what I was looking for! It literally ticks EVERY BOX on my list. And that color? It's better than anything I could ask for! (talking about the i5UV EOS)

The only thing that I don't love about this light (so far) is the way that clicker sticks out. I might have rig up some sort of a "protective cap" for it (if locking it out is not possible/practical).
I hope the output is strong enough for what I need to be doing with this light. On their site, it says that this light is good for spotting scorpions, and it's Olight, so, you know... At any rate, this is an inexpensive product. Worst case scenario it's only 40 bucks down the drain, not 400.

So, the plan for right now (unless someone talks me out of it) is to order one Olight i5UV EOS and to test it out. If it's good, I will buy one or two more. Otherwise, I may have to go the Convoy S2 route.

Big thanks to you and everyone else who took part!

Last edited: