Searching for rechargeable keychain flashlight - replacement for Nitecore Tube

pantagana23

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone,

This thread is a mini review and a request for replacement.

The review:
I've had Nitecore Tube for 4-5 years now clamped to my car keys, basically always with me. Don't use it very often, but maybe every month or so when I pack light and need to walk on unlighted stairs or similar.

The good: The light itself is almost undetectable in the pocket, as it's really small and feather light. UI is great, with low first or double click for high + "infinite" modes when power button held.

The bad: Light switched itself on maybe 40-50 times in the pocket, fortunately on low more or less.

The ugly: 3 years ago it wouldn't start, so I thought it was empty. Then it wouldn't charge. Opened it and found that the + wire from battery broke. Luckily, welded it back and it works like a charm from that point.

N1HjU8w.jpg

As you can see the picture, it's all broken now, so I'm looking for a replacement.

My request for a replacement light would be:

- keychain size (Nitecore TIP2 was very bulky in the pocket + the magnet is a big no)

- Lumes - everyting over the existing is ok (50+, would like 100 but at least 1-2 hours runtime without rapid derate in 2 minutes)

- has to be USB rechargeable (USB-C would be a great plus)

- battery can be non-replaceable as far as I'm concerned if it's more compact because of this

- IP rating - would like over 54, and that the light has a rubber seal at least on charging port, IP65 + is excellent

- no specials needed (like UV, red-blue, strobe, beacon or similar)

- budget is variable - depending on how much I like it

One of the favorites I found was Nitecore Tini 2, but if you have any other ideas it would be appreciated (disregard Fenix E03R, I have no need for redlight or similar specials).

Your suggestions are welcome.

Thank you for your time.

Zman

Enlightened
I know your mentioned to disregard Fenix E03R because of the red light. I carry that light and don't ever use the red. The white is all I bought it for and I'm quite happy.
USB-C, relatively easy to lock out, and decent run times for the amount of light. You might want to take a second look.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Candlepowerforums mobile app

gruntmedik1

Newly Enlightened
I just got a TINI2, and a GITD TIKI for use as a zipper pull light. You can see my thread in the LED section.

For my needs, they are perfect.

Sos24

Enlightened
The Rovyvon Aurora keychain series is pretty nice.

I tried the new Jetbeam Mini One. It is similar to the Aurora or Tiki, but because it uses only a single click for on, it would sometimes come on in my pocket unless I used the lockout. However, it does use USB-C recharging.

pantagana23

Newly Enlightened
Ended up with E03R in the end.
I could not get Mini 2 under 85 USD to my country (50+shipping), and with E03 for 25 + free shipping, I just couldn't justify 3 times the price for a beater flashlight.

Edit:
What is going on with shipping prices in the last half a year? Can't get anything from US to Europe under 30 USD.
I know the pandemic grounded the passenger planes, but commercial ones have even more business than ever, so logic tells me prices should at least be the same.

Last edited: