NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        

Thread: Spring vs O-ring

Default Spring vs O-ring

For those running their malkoff in a non-malkoff and non-surefire host what is your preferred method of fitting the drop in to the head? Iíve had success using both the large diameter grounding spring as well as using an o-ting between the drop in and the bezel. My concern is which one is more bulletproof?

Specifically Iím running a m361 219 warm in my seraph host and want it as my one and done solo light (ie: max durability). Way I see it running the large spring it could possibly break causing a failure, but also it does allow the drop in to rattle in the head under the right impacts. On the other hand using the o-ring avoids both of those issues but then increases the compression of the b+ spring and also doesnít allow the battery shelf of the seraph to perform its function...

Probably over thinking this, huh?

Default Re: Spring vs O-ring

I always use the fitting rings he sells for this job. Works best for me.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    I always use the fitting rings he sells for this job. Works best for me.
    That would effectively be the same solution a running an oring above the drop in?

Well ya but an o-ring can dry out or ď Smoshď out of position. The fitting ring wonít do that.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Is the fitting ring not rubber? Always figured it was!

Nope, his are real hard plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck91 View Post
    For those running their malkoff in a non-malkoff and non-surefire host what is your preferred method of fitting the drop in to the head? Iíve had success using both the large diameter grounding spring as well as using an o-ting between the drop in and the bezel. My concern is which one is more bulletproof?

Specifically Iím running a m361 219 warm in my seraph host and want it as my one and done solo light (ie: max durability). Way I see it running the large spring it could possibly break causing a failure, but also it does allow the drop in to rattle in the head under the right impacts. On the other hand using the o-ring avoids both of those issues but then increases the compression of the b+ spring and also doesnít allow the battery shelf of the seraph to perform its function...

Probably over thinking this, huh?
    Really? The spring could break and cause a failure? I mean I suppose it could, just as your tube could collapse under vacuum or excessive pressure. Or your battery could explode.

I'd just go with Thermal guy's suggestion.