ArmyTek        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how many flashlights do i need in my bug out bag?

Default how many flashlights do i need in my bug out bag?

is 2 enough for if the stuff hits the fan and i need to take off.? all this stuff on the news has me wanting to just be on the safe side
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Default Re: how many flashlights do i need in my bug out bag?

Depends on where you are bugging to and how long you plan on staying. Take as many lights and batteries as you know you need to get to where you are going
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

+

Think batteries & how to charge them raggie.

Only one if it is an HDS😎🤗

itís a good idea to use a Photon Freedom attached to a zipper pull also👍
    -Goatee

I have 3. And enough batteries for 4 battery changes each. If I ever need that much Iím in some serious crap.

elzetta Charlie-M61N
    Malkoff 2XAA
    Malkoff wildcat.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

I have two in each bag, plus one set of extra primaries and two sets of rechargeables.
    this is in addition to whatever light I am EDCing.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    -- Albert Einstein

Maybe you can carry some extra rechargeable batteries, portable charger and solar panel for power supply during outdoor adventures.

Flashaholic*

2 should be plenty. Since you'll be carrying this bag, you have to ask yourself, "Is there something I need in this bag more than I need a 3rd flashlight?" The answer is almost certainly, "yes".

I`d have 3, 2 in my bag one on me at all times, always take an AA and AAA because you can get the batts for these anywhere, and an Anduril light with built in charging (don`t forget the leads) so you can do sublumen to daylight.

Don't forget a headlamp.

One flashlight (Fenix LD25) and one headlamp (ThruNite TH20). 12 AA Eneloops in small plastic cases and a Powerfilm foldable solar charger (the one WITHOUT the USB). All up that weighs 1pd 6.4oz and should take care of your personal lighting needs for the first few years of the crisis.

None. You're doomed.
    Turn off the tv and enjoy life while you still can.
    John 3:16

most likly it will be a island i found whike kakaking. i have 20 watt solar panels
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by raggie33 View Post
    most likly it will be a island i found whike kakaking. i have 20 watt solar panels
    Sweetie, I gotta ask, what exactly is it you`re running from? because it sounds like you`re going to be quite misserable for however long it takes you to return home again. You certainly won`t be able to have any fires to keep you warm (and it`s mid winter). have you considered bugging IN instead? or if it`s someone`s after you, then just pull a load of cash out the bank, buy a burner (leave your mobile phone at home) and skip state and lay low in a motel somewhere.
    This does all sound rather extreme to me, are you Sure it`s the right thing to do and you have no alternatives?

i cant respond katherine it will be a politics thread

pop onto the underground section then, there`s all sorts of politics and stuff on there and it`s quite ok to talk about that stuff

im to senstive to go there.

I agree with the excellent recommendations posted above !

- have an AA cell flashlight

- have an AAA cell flashlight

- have a Headlamp ! Hands-free is SO useful !

I highly recommend Energizer ultimate lithium cells,
    for their light weight, long life, and low temperature performance !

And don't forget a Bic lighter or two . . . . .

_

However many YOU think you need plus one.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkIntoTheLight View Post
    "Is there something I need in this bag more than I need a 3rd flashlight?" The answer is almost certainly, "yes".
    This. In any enthusiast forum that touches on survival there is a tendency to fixate on the forum's central subject - flashlights, knives, guns, radios, first aid, whatnot. The flashlights you'll almost certainly want will be compact/lightweight, durable/reliable, offer long runtime, and have some possibility of refueling or recharging - in that general order. In an actual bug-out situation you will almost surely be limiting your usage to brief short-range usage for close-up tasks and navigation. Most of us can see surprisingly well at night without a flashlight so long as there is some ambient light - in open areas generally further and with a wider field of view.

Otherwise, your focus is should be on survival basics - water, food, protection from the elements, shelter - and items that support those needs in addition to mobility and signaling capability.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

I've repurposed my "island blackout" kit to my "get home bag" (not exactly a bug out bag, though). I used the Goal Zero Guide 10 Plus 4xAA/AAA as a battery backup which also has a small LED for light combined with an old GZ Nomad 7 to charge both the battery backup and my phone while traveling (Li Ion batteries plus airports is often discouraged in anything other than cell phones, laptops, and/or tablets... especially when traveling at different airports and airlines in other countries where you don't know the policies). I used the battery backup's light to navigate through stone paths at night while on the island, as it was brighter than my phone's LED.

Since I keep my bag relatively small and light, my bag's main light is a headlamp that accepts both CR123's and AA's. Since I always have an EDC light and phone, this gives me 4 lights, as well as a way to recharge all of them. One could replicate all of this with all Li ion rechargeable batteries and a different solar panel.

Pic of old GZ Nomad7 charging my old Samsung G5 while traveling:

I would only bug out with 2 lights. If you need to lug your gear more water, food or clothing will be of much greater value. A vehicle escape might turn into on foot.
    Kata Ton Δaimona Eaytoy

What type of bug out scenario do you foresee? Are you running to the hills? Or are just driving to the next town over for a couple nights at a family members house? Or are you planning to E&E?

Just 2 lights for me. Pre-COVID, I traveled a lot (2 weeks per month or so,) and have emergency situations somewhat in mind when I pack my bag. I always have 2 lights with me: a Zebralight AA headlamp (H53Fw) and a Zebralight AA flashlight (SC53w or SC5w) plus a single cell charger for the eneloops in each light, 2 extra batteries, and a small solar panel/battery bank (which gets used often to charge my phone when away from an outlet.) Hopefully that will cover most of my possible needs.

it is vital that you keep one of them on you all times though, because having 10 lights in your bag is no good if you get parted from it or can`t get back to it for some reason. don`t keep all your eggs in one basket

Quote Originally Posted by Buck91 View Post
    What type of bug out scenario do you foresee? Are you running to the hills? Or are just driving to the next town over for a couple nights at a family members house? Or are you planning to E&E?
    Trying to be ready for any scenario as best as possible. Having walk could be required.
    Kata Ton Δaimona Eaytoy

Quote Originally Posted by Lou Minescence View Post
    Trying to be ready for any scenario as best as possible. Having walk could be required.

I would want probably three. A compact but decent headlamp with a nice low mode, a somewhat "tactical" handheld and a ultralight back up. Generally, if you are truly bugging out you probably want to minimize any light signature for the sake of security which is why the headlamp and back up lights ought be be and/or have good moonlight/low modes that are easily accessible. The tactical handheld is much less necessary, better to have and not need but unless you plan on some seriously risky needs this is more of a security blanket.

All decent suggestions. I have a few videos on what I keep in my modular kit bags. I suggest atleast 3 or more lights / headlamps that can be recharged via usb solar or ones that use rechargeable AA nimh or li-ion type batteries with appropriate chargers and systems made for that battery. Here is a link to a Silent music on video of what i carry in one of my edc bugout bags. In the video you will notice I carry three lights. It is Attached via molle sticks to a hsgi thigh platform and can be taken off to reduce weight. https://youtu.be/n3tz6x8KU_Y

I would say 2x handheld flashlights of the same or similar make (one primary, one backup. Something simple and rugged, no more than 2 modes or so) + 1x headlamp. Having your hands free is a huge advantage, and since itís gonna be mostly strapped to your head the risk of damaging it is lower than it would be for a handheld device. Therefore, I think you can forgo the spare headlamp. Donít overthink this. When it comes to choosing a light for this kind of thing, choose something that is easy to use and is simple and rugged in its construction. Preferably something you are familiar with. I would definitely choose something full-sized, taking 2xcr123s to 1x 21700. Nothing larger, nothing smaller. Small lights are too easy to lose and too fiddly in operation, you also cant get a very secure grip on them. Big ones are too inconvenient to carry round and take up too much space. When it comes down to it, something with potted electronics would be my choice. Make sure its water resistant. I would also think about going with a acrylic lens. A lens that is deeply recessed into the head (well protected by the bezel) would help against scratching.

Of cause for durability and longevity CR123s come to mind, however those canít be recharged. Unprotected Li-ions would be my choice. Protection PCBs donít react well to shock/impact, thatís why people donít like using them in weapon lights. Also unprotected cells donít suddenly cut-off, but leave you with a longer drop-off in brightness before the light dies and better runtime because of it.
    Last edited by Olumin; 01-14-2021 at 03:13 PM.

At least three:
    1. Lumintop GT Mini or equiv. since there will be times you will want to reach out and see someone/thing.
    2. AA/14500 light like Lumintop Tool AA 2.0 - pocket size with multiple light levels
    3. Key chain size light - Photon - Sofirn C01/C01S - Nitecore Tube.
    4. If you are really serious about this a solar panel [20w or so] and one or two power banks so one can be charging while one is powering something like a charger.
    5. Aforementioned power bank(s) and cell charger. Two cell should be big enough. I'm partial to the single cell magnetic contact chargers for size, but don't think they do NiMH.
    If you are not into diffusers for your lights a small lantern like one of the Nitecore L series.
    Remember, Two is One, and One is None!.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast