Tactical Flashlight under $100

WilliamMunny

Newly Enlightened
I am thinking of upgrading my older tactical flashlight, a Nitecore MH12 (1000 lumes, 232m throw, 18650 battery, 13,500 cd). I am looking for something a bit brighter with a bit more throw, USB rechargeable, rear clicky and can be carried on a belt.

I am looking very hard at the Fenix PD36R with 1600 lumes, 283m throw, 20,000 cd and the new 21700 battery. I like Olights but HATE the way they charge using the magnetic tail cap. $100 max budget.

1. Is it worth upgrading my MH12? Will I even notice a difference?
2. Is there something else I should look at beyond the PD36R or is that one of the best new lights out there?

Last edited:

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am thinking of upgrading my older tactical flashlight, a Nitecore MH12 (1000 lumes, 232m throw, 18650 battery, 13,500 cd). I am looking for something a bit brighter with a bit more throw, USB rechargeable, rear clicky and can be carried on a belt.

I am looking very hard at the Fenix PD36R with 1600 lumes, 283m throw, 20,000 cd and the new 21700 battery. I like Olights but HATE the way they charge using the magnetic tail cap. $100 max budget.

2. Is there something else I should look at beyond the PD36R or is that one of the best new lights out there?

Honestly I would not feel under equipped with your MH12. But if you just want something newer or with a bit more output I would recommend the Klarus XT11GT or the XT2CR or maybe even one of their latest PRO versions. Their older versions have micro-usb charging ports while the Pro versions use USB-C ports and have a newer style paddle switch that sits flush with the body. The reason I have Klarus lights is because of the ability to get low or turbo depending on which button you press. Main button gives you turbo regardless of what mode it was last in, it's also a forward clickie. Paddle button is a momentary that can give you either strobe or low, depending on what you set it for. It also changes output levels when the light is on. If you hold the paddle button for 2 sec. it turns the light on same as if you clicked the main power but if you tap the main button it will go to turbo then go off once you release.

WilliamMunny

Newly Enlightened
Honestly I would not feel under equipped with your MH12. But if you just want something newer or with a bit more output I would recommend the Klarus XT11GT or the XT2CR or maybe even one of their latest PRO versions. Their older versions have micro-usb charging ports while the Pro versions use USB-C ports and have a newer style paddle switch that sits flush with the body. The reason I have Klarus lights is because of the ability to get low or turbo depending on which button you press. Main button gives you turbo regardless of what mode it was last in, it's also a forward clickie. Paddle button is a momentary that can give you either strobe or low, depending on what you set it for. It also changes output levels when the light is on. If you hold the paddle button for 2 sec. it turns the light on same as if you clicked the main power but if you tap the main button it will go to turbo then go off once you release.

I do like the Klarus lights, I have a XT1C that I used to carry on my keychain. But it was a bit too big for that and I needed up getting a smaller Eagtach. I saw they have a XT21X with the 21700 battery, seems like a ton of light. I don't want to upgrade for the fun of it but if I could get a decent jump in performance.

Lyteheaded

Newly Enlightened
The Land of Dark and Clouds...Chicagoland

While I'm sorry I can't provide you insight into your question, I'm going back and forth between the MH12S and the PD36R as well. I like the extra capacity the 21700 can provide. I feel the ability of the MH12s to support multiple battery types is an advantage, and am really happy with my Nitecore HC60NW headlamp. The PD36R also seems like a very strong contender, so thus my dilemma.

How has your MH12 been working out for you?

WilliamMunny

Newly Enlightened
While I'm sorry I can't provide you insight into your question, I'm going back and forth between the MH12S and the PD36R as well. I like the extra capacity the 21700 can provide. I feel the ability of the MH12s to support multiple battery types is an advantage, and am really happy with my Nitecore HC60NW headlamp. The PD36R also seems like a very strong contender, so thus my dilemma.

The Nitecore had been great with no issues. The only problem is that it is now starting to feel dated compared to the latest and greatest lights out there.

On the flip side I had a Fenix AA keychain light a few years back and it was the best build quality of any light I have owned (Olight, Eagtac, Klarus, Thrunite and Nitecore). I do have to say the Thrunite was a fairly close second in build quality.

WilliamMunny

Newly Enlightened

All I ended up getting the brand new Fenix TK16 v2.0. Great specks with 3100 lumes, 380m throw, 35,000 cd. Dual tail switch and momentary on. Twice the light of my old MH12, should be a good upgrade for 5-10 years.