Fenix E20 V2 emiter swap?

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anybody successfully removed the bezel on a E20 v2 to swap the puke green SST-20 low CRI for one of its 4000k high CRI brethren? Mine is just sitting in my storage bin since I can't stand the cool white, green shifted output but its just BEGGING to swap to a high CRI option. I think today I'll try to pry the bezel ring up with a razor blade, but I'm not terribly optimistic and would love to hear some input!

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alright, I was able to pop the bezel ring off pretty easily. At first I tried to shimmy it out by tapping a razor blade under it- that didn't work and just caused the razor blade to break a few times. Then I clamped it in a soft jaw vise and was able to get just enough purchase on the O.D. to drift it out with a small screwdriver. Really came off pretty easy at that point, looks like its retained by a very small interlocking ridge. Construction under the ring is as expected with an o-ring above and below the lens, the optic and a steel washer under the optic which I assume is just a spacer. The led looks very easy to replace with either a whole new mcpcb assembly or to remove and reflow a different 3535 emitter in place. Haven't pulled it yet to comment on epoy vs thermal compound being used.

UmZdsNL.jpg

UxsNFz0.jpg

WzbQIzl.jpg

UPqJS8X.jpg

coffeecup66

Enlightened
An 8.00 $ Mini Maglite looks so much better made than this 40 $ chinese light.

Is that thing easy to re-assemble ?

Nice pics.

Cheers.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
An 8.00 $ Mini Maglite looks so much better made than this 40 $ chinese light.

Is that thing easy to re-assemble ?

Nice pics.

Cheers.

Actually, I'm very surprised how easily it went back together. The optic seems to stay in place despite no appreciable click or other feel of locking in place. With that, I was able to set the lens into the bezel and lay that upside down on my workbench. I then simply lined up the light and pressed it down onto the bezel and it snapped right back in! All assembled, brightness appears the same or better with the 4000k 95CRI goodness the SST-20 is known for. Now, time will tell about the durability but it passes multiple, aggressive palm wacks without trouble.