Challenge Week #2: "E" Name or Model# Only!

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
This week's challenge was proposed by Bykfixer, and endorsed by Katherine Alicia, Jean-Luc Descarte, and id30209. All credit ( blame? :D ) goes to these people for this challenge.

For this week, the challenge limits you to lights that either start with "E" in the manufacturer name (Energizer, Eveready, Emissar...) or else the model name starts with "E" (E01, EDC01, E2E...)

You can use any number of lights meeting the criteria, but at the start, you have to decide whether you will pick lights based on manufacturer or model. It has to be one or the other, not both. So, for instance, I couldn't use a Fenix E01 and Energizer brand lights together.

Hosts and drop-in modules (P60 type for example) may be kind of a gray area. But, I'm going to say that at least for a drop in, you can use it if the name meets the criteria. So, I've got a Lumens Factory EO-4 incan module that would be eligible.

Clear as mud? If there's questions just post them here and we'll advise you.

As for the standard "rules", it's quite a list so rather than post it all again, I'm providing this link to the rule set from the first challenge:

See first post for rules list

Addendum to Original Rule Set:

A1. The "courtesy clause". There's an exemption allowed if you must violate challenge rules in order to maintain polite relations with friends, family, coworkers, etc. So, for instance, if someone offers you a light that is outside the boundaries of the challenge, you are allowed to accept the light for that situation, since it could be considered impolite to refuse.

---------------------------------

Seems like there was one other thing I was going to add, but it's escaped my memory at the moment. :thinking:

I'll update the Addendum if I remember it.

Sorry this one is a little late; I'll typically try to get these posted by Saturday evening to allow everyone to be ready to start Sunday. However, as mentioned in the rules, the start time and duration are flexible, so don't sweat it.

That's it! Have fun!

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hosts and drop-in modules (P60 type for example) may be kind of a gray area. But, I'm going to say that at least for a drop in, you can use it if the name meets the criteria. So, I've got a Lumens Factory EO-4 incan module that would be eligible.

Sooo... Ive got a E series HO-E1A paired with their E Series Smoothie on my MDC. Does that count? Dont currently have any other lights or models that start with E.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I edc an E01. Don't think I can get by with it only though. I'll have to look and see what other E lights I have. Should be fun if I don't have any others

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
I just spent almost 15 minutes rummaging my room, but finally found my EDC01, and there are now two Eneloops charging to feed it. Money. :cool:

Same duration rules apply? If so, I'm going for the 7-day streak. Plenty of time to appreciate a minitorch that I really like but got overshadowed by my more neutral tints and the tail clickies.

(It should be noted that when I go out I will be carrying a Convoy M1 for safety. I set its mode before finding the EDC01 and starting the challenge, so no need to even vaguely touch the fail clause.)

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Ew, ew I have a question too……

I have picked out 'model's that have an E like the Pentagon eX2 and an E2D with a Tana module but I want to use one by Elzetta called G-Line EDC AA. Ok or no go?

Thanks for this stress test. You da shizzle.

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened

I have picked out 'model's that have an E like the Pentagon eX2 and an E2D with a Tana module but I want to use one by Elzetta called G-Line EDC AA. Ok or no go?

Thanks for this stress test. You da shizzle.

I vote no-go. The Elzetta has a model denomination before EDC, so it's murkier than other models that have an 'E' first and foremost on the model name. Same as saying the Olight S series count for a 'B' challenge because of the 'Baton' - the Baton Pro notwithstanding, obviously :nana:

Last edited:

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ah, that's the rub, right? :) The Elzetta model name doesn't start with E, so if you want to use the Elzetta then you can only use other manufacturer names that start with E, so the Pentagon stuff is out.

Or vice-versa, use the ex2 and E2D, but no Elzetta light (unless they have a model that starts with E).

So, no go!

Maybe this'll be tougher than I thought! :laughing:

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
I`m in, and I`m going with the E-model name, I could go with Emisar and EverReady, but I get an extra light this way :)

E-model.jpg

Left to Right: Manker E04, E02ii, E02 and E03, Astrolux EC01 and EC03, and an ES-6 dropin for the Incan side of things.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sooo... Ive got a E series HO-E1A paired with their E Series Smoothie on my MDC. Does that count? Dont currently have any other lights or models that start with E.

Hm, tough call on this. The E-series is for SureFire models, right, and not the names of the parts, so I don't think it counts (and that would cast a pretty wide net if we allowed all E-series compatible stuff).

However, since that's your only two lights that could be used, then what the heck. Go for it. We're not super up-tight around here or anything! :)

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
................... and an ES-6 dropin for the Incan side of things.

Ooh, nice, I forgot about the "Energy Saver" models of the LF dropins!

By the way, what is that you're using for a background in your photo? Tie-dye blanket or something? Makes a nice backdrop.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hm, tough call on this. The E-series is for SureFire models, right, and not the names of the parts, so I don't think it counts (and that would cast a pretty wide net if we allowed all E-series compatible stuff).

However, since that's your only two lights that could be used, then what the heck. Go for it. We're not super up-tight around here or anything! :)

I think you're probably too generous. I don't think I would feel right about it. I'm just gonna skip this one. Have a light arriving next week anyway, and I'm gonna have to test that one out. So that's at least one guaranteed fail already.

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay. I had just re-pocketed my "normal" EDC lights, when I started reading this thread. Main light will now be an E1L, and I was just reaching for the Elzetta ZFL-60 with the M60W, when I realized it would be a rules violation, so as backup I chose an E2L (with a Fivemega 1x18650 body E-head). I think that that one is okay. I have to say, after a week of only incans, those Surefire E-heads look absolutely squidgy green. Much better fuel efficiency, but I'm gonna have to get used to the tint. Thank Jupiter for cargo pants.

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
I think you're probably too generous. I don't think I would feel right about it. I'm just gonna skip this one. Have a light arriving next week anyway, and I'm gonna have to test that one out. So that's at least one guaranteed fail already.

I think you are allowed to test a new light because it`s time sensitive for returns in case it`s broken, it was written in the rules on the first challenge.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
So the G-Line EDC AA is out. Cool. My thought was that one on low instead of the incan Maglite solitaire I used last week.

I'll use a Fenix E01 for the bedside light instead of the G-Line EDC AA and keep an EB1c nearby in case I need more light at 2am. Funny there is that one already there in case whichever low output light is the nightly I have 200 lumens in a snoot style beam to let any perp know "the next sound you hear is pow"……

BB2-FA97-C-9846-41-D4-AADD-EF4-CD047-A12-F.jpg

I'm ready and will start in a few minutes when it gets dark outside.

Last edited:

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hm, tough call on this. The E-series is for SureFire models, right, and not the names of the parts, so I don't think it counts (and that would cast a pretty wide net if we allowed all E-series compatible stuff)...

I guess that I should self-police here. I'll put the E2L with FM 1x18650 E-head body back in the safe, and go with an E2O Outdoorsman as my backup. One led, one incan. Check...

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
I have an E1e, several E2e's, but no "big" E light for dog walking at night. Only one Energizer, a cruddy 1D LED light. I'll watch this one from the sidelines. Though I could probably get by with one Emisar if I could get used to the lockout I'd have to use for edc... 🤔😃