HDS Systems        

Thread: Copper tape?

Default Copper tape?

Any suggestions for the best copper tape to use when installing a high output P60? There are a few options out there on AE and the like but Iíve heard some people worry that the adhesive used might result in more insulation than not. Iíve tried the aluminum foil route but itís a PITA every time the drop in gets removed...

Default Re: Copper tape?

my really broad tape I got from a Guitar shop, it`s used for sheilding the inside cavity around the pickup heads, so maybe that would work? if you want the narrower tape then some garden centers may have it (seriously!) it`s used to put around the top of outdoor plant pots to keep slugs and snails away, so it`s fairly weatherproof as well. Both of these can be soldered to as well.
    hope that helps a little

I hear you on the thin aluminum foil hassle.

If you're looking for something robust, I have used a single layer of aluminum soda can when the gap is large enough.
    It can require stout hand pressure to insert the dropin into the host on occasion, so I'm getting decent physical contact for those situations at least.
    Most likely being 3000-series, the thermal conductivity is adequate at least.
    I've never been sure what to do about the inner polymer coating, honestly.

Heavy copper foil would be good, but not easy to find - maybe copper shim stock ? Good luck finding tho;

I did go the copper tape route on a few of my dropins, but over time the associated adhesive lightly stained the brass (Malkoff) dropin bodies.

-----

Edit, just as a FYI;
    https://www.odmetals.com/blog/the-be...ded-heat-sinks
    Last edited by Kestrel; 01-12-2021 at 05:40 PM. Reason: added link

You can try brass shim stock. No adhesive and you can get it really thin. .002.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Not the OP, but despite having brass shim stock available locally (very locally at this moment lol),
    the thermal conductivity of brass just doesn't hold up compared to aluminum, let alone copper.

Edit: How about 0.004" thick pure copper ? Sounds like that's ~6x thicker than household aluminum foil.
    $9 for a hobby roll - I think it could be worth a try.
    https://www.amazon.com/99-9-Copper-S...a-822257542547
    Last edited by Kestrel; 01-12-2021 at 06:22 PM.

how about copper shim stock? They make that to😁

Think I used the wrong to. Anyone??
    Last edited by thermal guy; 01-12-2021 at 06:22 PM.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

my wife has copper foil tape with adhesive backing she bought at a craft store like Michaels or Hobby Lobby or something. It's like duct tape thick but it soft copper. I just cut the amount I need and fold it in half sticky side to sticky side.
    I've used it to bridge gaps in old broken copper sliders that move forward and backward like a tongue depressor in really old flashlights from the 1920's. So long as bare copper touches what you want to conduct it works just fine.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 01-12-2021 at 06:49 PM.
    John 3:16

Copper Foil Sample Pack did it for me. Usually I can combine 2 different thicknesses to get the ideal fit.

https://www.quickshipmetals.com/samp...nless-pak.html

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    how about copper shim stock? They make that to

Think I used the wrong to. Anyone??
    Yep, you used the wrong to(o).
    What kind of self respecting nocturnal being cannot see in the dark, one way or another?

Figured someone would call me out on that. 😁

Garden section at Home Depot is where I got mine.

An update;
    So I decided to take the $9 plunge for the hobby roll of copper that I suggested as a possibility in post #5 above;

And it's /perfect/ IMO - a single layer ran snug between a M90 dropin and my old SF 6Z, while two layers made a basically press-in (i.e. /extremely/ snug) fit for my M90BN and my SF 7Z.

For reference, this copper ran at 0.005" for thickness, while the aluminum soda can material I had been using previously measures at 0.004-0.005".)
    (Including the thin polymer inner coating & the outside ink printing - both of which were of course very undesirable.)

Household aluminum foil runs ~0.001", which is of course fragile & requires multiple layers.

And this much material will certainly be a lifetime supply.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1rup8ta1rc...0roll.jpg?dl=0
    Last edited by Kestrel; 01-24-2021 at 06:25 PM. Reason: added link

Kestrel, awesome feedback! I have some chinesium copper tape but might just add a roll of that to my next amazon purchase!