Malkoff        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: average life span of a led flashlight?

Flashaholic*

Default Re: average life span of a led flashlight?

alpg88, thanks for the reply! I'm not a techie though, so will have to live with the lowered output. Unfortunate, since this is not a cheap throwaway light. I guess I should be happy that the LED still functions at higher levels, where the extra LED is more important.
    Having a right and doing what's right is not always the same.

Flashaholic*

If it's due to higher resistance or something affecting that single LED, the LED might not function at full brightness, even though it looks like it's working at higher levels. So, overall, your light may not be as bright as it should be.

Years ago I had 3 Fenix T-1ís that lasted maybe 2 years of infrequent use before the emitters all turned brown with a huge reduction of light output. They became basically battery burners at that point so out they went. I donít remember what the emitters were but the 20,000 hour lifetime claim was definitely shot down.
    Pezdragon

i had a nebo light that i kept on my windowsill in upright position lens up., after some time i noticed half of led dome became brown, it still worked but not as bright, just like in an example above, but i can't say for sure, it was not the sunlight that the led as exposed to for a long time, maybe it destroyed phosphorous and caused it to turn brown,

in my experience the led no matter how abused from overdrive is not the failure point.
    for an example i am still edcing a arc ls .
    the failure points are the switch and boot.
    it has seen several led upgrades.
    the driver is solid after all these years.
    the led is driven within specs so theoretically it should not fail/wear out in several lifetimes of typical flashlight usage.

funny you mention this.
    i have had several luxeon k2 leds where the dome went dark after sitting a long time unused.
    when first lit one was almost magenta and another yellowgreenish.
    after several hours they shifted back to normal and the domes lightened up a lot.
    i understand this is from the dome absorbing offgassed vapors from plastics,lube,ect.
    the nebo is a cheapie so who knows what led it has.
    all the higher power ones i have seen were some sort of latticebright or similar cree clone.
    if sunlight did this i suspect the led would have a very short life due to the high blue/near uv content of the die causing similar degradation.
    run it a while to see if it clears up or gets worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by alpg88 View Post
    i had a nebo light that i kept on my windowsill in upright position lens up., after some time i noticed half of led dome became brown, it still worked but not as bright, just like in an example above, but i can't say for sure, it was not the sunlight that the led as exposed to for a long time, maybe it destroyed phosphorous and caused it to turn brown,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12