Hoping for advice on led strip for son’s room. Which to get and how to keep them up?

Chocula

Newly Enlightened
We bought some led light strips (can change colors) for my son's room and had to put 4 strips up plus a strip under his bed.

the lights were from Amazon and after one bad set, we got them put up, cut and working.

from reading and searching here it looks like there is a limit to the length of these strips. I would prefer to have one strip but it doesn't seem possible.

Each remote controls two strips. The remotes fell down, which pulled part of the strips down.

I am wondering what you use to keep these stuck to the wall and us there a brand you recommend?

thank you

Scotty321

Newly Enlightened
Have you tried the "rope lights" at HD? They are available in RGB, too, with controllers. They are plug ins, some are connectable (some single roles are 48 ft long). There are rope lighting hanging accesories for mounting available there too. I use a couple 12 ft rope lights, IIRC, plugged into a wall socket that is controlled by a light switch for indirect lighting of my TV area.

Edit: I just notcied some other posts on this forum suggesting a higher risk of fire with rope lights. Unfortunately I have no experience with the LED strips.

Last edited:

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
In really, really broad terms, adhesives can be categorized into two families - pressure sensitive adhesives (PSA), and anything else.

PSAs include Scotch tape, masking tape, electrical tape, stickers, etc. Basically anything that is peel-and-stick.

As a homeowner and a professional engineer, I have found that with a few notable exceptions, PSA's are not satisfactory in applications where there is a constant load against the adhesive. The weight of an LED strip, for example, is a constant load against any adhesive that is trying to hold it in place. Over some period, be it days, months, or years, the weight of the strip will overcome the PSA adhesive, and it will fall.

There are PSAs that don't have this problem. 3M makes VHB and UHB tapes that will hold against constant pressure. But if you buy something cheap off flea-bay, don't expect this. Expect that after some hours, days, or months, gravity will overcome the adhesive.

There are two solutions to this problem. One is to use PSA's that don't succumb to constant pressure, the other is to mechanically secure the object using screws, clips, etc. My preference is mechanical methods, as these are generally reversible. Once you have bonded two things with VHB or UHB tape, getting them apart ranges from difficult to impossible.