Imalent        

Thread: Joining in from British Columbia

Enlightened

Default Joining in from British Columbia

Hello!

After lurking around the forums for a few weeks I've finally taken the plunge and signed up. I work in photography and film, doing lighting and grip, and have a few maglights that I used for work - an ML300L and an XL50. Although I've noticed these aren't the most popular here, I like the long run-times and very easily available batteries (I use rechargeables, but almost all productions have a box of triple-As somewhere, and often Ds as well), plus they're pretty well-built in the US. I like that, though I'm certainly not against a good import.

Recently I picked up a somewhat beaten up Pelican 2320 Incan as a bit of a project since I have some free time at the moment. Mostly I got on here for advice with that, since it's a little more into the enthusiast realm than Mags, and despite knowing a few things about lighting I don't have a lot of flashlight knowledge.

Outside of lights, I do have a few Nikons, 35mm film and digital, and I have a lot of experience working on bikes (Colnagos, not Kawasakis) - I worked for a few bike shops while in and freshly out of school.

Anyways, just looking for a place to go for advice and a little camaraderie. Not everyone appreciates a good light, after all.

Default Re: Joining in from British Columbia

Hello CanAm. There are some Maglite fans here, but not as many as back in the day when those members would turn an ordinary 2 cell incan Maglite into something one could morse code to the space station with. Me, I like Maglites just fine. The ML25 is probably my favorite but much respect for the triple a minimag.

The Pelican 2320 is also at times called M6, and although not as popular as the SureFire 6P once was it was a pretty nice little flashlight. If you ever look to add an LED to that one Sportac makes modules you can swap for the light bulb module.

Hope to see you around the site soon.
    John 3:16

Welcome CanAm!

There's plenty of Maglite love out there. Enjoy what you have and what works for you, modify and upgrade as you see fit. There's a mind boggling array of options. Take it slow, look around and enjoy the trip!
    Dean Venture: "I'll get the flashlights!"
    Hank Venture: "And I'll get the astronaut Ice Cream!"

Unenlightened

Hi, everyone, very happy to join your forum. By the way, you wrote that you used an ML300L. I've read positive reviews about this device, what do you think?

Hi &

Enlightened

Thanks everyone for the welcome! I'm sure I'm going to learn a few things here, I've been browsing and enjoying already.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWill07 View Post
    Hi, everyone, very happy to join your forum. By the way, you wrote that you used an ML300L. I've read positive reviews about this device, what do you think?
    I really like it. It's my "big light" that usually stays in my bag, but not on me, at work. I pull it out for things like load-in and load-out on dark locations, idiot check (basically a final walkthrough before the equipment van leaves), things like that. It has also been used to track down a power failure on a stage we had set up in a big vacant warehouse. Plenty of power for all of that. It's even been used as a spotlight on a stills shoot I worked on - we wanted a cool beam and it worked just fine there. Ran for two hours straight, on high, with no issue. I've also used it for some stuff outside of work- walking around the neighborhood in the dark, walking home from the ferry pier in the dark (and it was VERY DARK for that), and on low for some car maintenance. I've been very impressed, it's my first D-cell since borrowing my parents' incans "back in the day", and it's been great. I'm thinking of getting a second to keep in the car. On high it kicks out a nice, long, clear, beam, and it still has punch on medium and low. Complaints would be that I think it should've had a bigger focus throw/range, and the tint is a little cool for my preference, with a slight purple lean. Not horrible, but not great. Worth noting I am also critical on that front. I also wish they still made a lanyard tail cap.

If you're in the market for a big light, it has my full endorsement. Mine is 2D FWIW.

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by CanAm View Post
    I really like it. It's my "big light" that usually stays in my bag, but not on me, at work. I pull it out for things like load-in and load-out on dark locations, idiot check (basically a final walkthrough before the equipment van leaves), things like that. It has also been used to track down a power failure on a stage we had set up in a big vacant warehouse. Plenty of power for all of that. It's even been used as a spotlight on a stills shoot I worked on - we wanted a cool beam and it worked just fine there. Ran for two hours straight, on high, with no issue. I've also used it for some stuff outside of work- walking around the neighborhood in the dark, walking home from the ferry pier in the dark (and it was VERY DARK for that), and on low for some car maintenance. I've been very impressed, it's my first D-cell since borrowing my parents' incans "back in the day", and it's been great. I'm thinking of getting a second to keep in the car. On high it kicks out a nice, long, clear, beam, and it still has punch on medium and low. Complaints would be that I think it should've had a bigger focus throw/range, and the tint is a little cool for my preference, with a slight purple lean. Not horrible, but not great. Worth noting I am also critical on that front. I also wish they still made a lanyard tail cap.

If you're in the market for a big light, it has my full endorsement. Mine is 2D FWIW.
    Thank you very much for describing the merits of this flashlight in great detail. I thought the blue, purple hue might get in the way a little too.

Greetings from Vancouver!