Maglite external switch battery

Chbronco

Newly Enlightened
Have a old 3d cell maglite (switch is gone), want to run a external switch and battery. So can I just run a positive wire from the brass button on the bulb housing and a wire from the negative spring of end of the flashlight to a simple switch.Guess the question is will it work?

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would just order a new switch and housing from maglite. As long as it doesn't have any damage from batteries they should send you one for free with the allen wrench. They did for me- didn't even have to send it in. Ask for a supervisor and tell them you're from candlepowerforums.IMHO it would a good ideal to leave a positive review here afterwards.

Last edited:

Chbronco

Newly Enlightened
Think I am going to make it a Frankenstein flashlight. Got a 4-12 volt led comming, two wires from the led out of the head to a 12v off/on switch then to a dc dimmer switch then to a 12volt big rc battery. Any recommendations for a dimmer switch?

Chbronco

Newly Enlightened
Found this on Amazon ca,rgbzone 12v/24v 30a led pwm dimmer controller, would this work dosen't seem to have good reviews?

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have a old 3d cell maglite (switch is gone), want to run a external switch and battery. So can I just run a positive wire from the brass button on the bulb housing and a wire from the negative spring of end of the flashlight to a simple switch.Guess the question is will it work?

not really, without the switch there is no negative contact, the set screw inside the switch is what bites into the barrel to provide negative contact to the bulb

Chbronco

Newly Enlightened
Going to do it a little different there is a little brass looking button on the bulb housing that sould be positive, sloder a wire to that and a wire to the side of housing.Then to a off/on switch, 12v big lipo rc battery. Would like to use a adjustable voltage regulator dimmer switch but don't know what to use. Suggestions please?

Sambob

Newly Enlightened
Going to do it a little different there is a little brass looking button on the bulb housing that sould be positive, sloder a wire to that and a wire to the side of housing.Then to a off/on switch, 12v big lipo rc battery. Would like to use a adjustable voltage regulator dimmer switch but don't know what to use. Suggestions please?

UH..before you detonate a lipo battery a few feet from you're body...maybe consider just getting another Maglite..just my 2 cents.

Chbronco

Newly Enlightened
Have used RClipos for years .Will have one of those hobbyking lipo battery tester alarms on the battery sould be ok.Its going to be a steam punk ,apocalyptic type flashlight witch will be mostly for show not to see much real use.

Last edited:

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can use this kind of switch and run a pair of wires from outside power bank to inside of battery barrel. Positive wire to little spring of original switch and negative wire to spring of tail switch.
Your original switch need to be bypassed to ON position.