Upgrade recommendations

Ace12

Enlightened
Hi guys, I'm looking to upgrade from my current light and get me a new one. I currently have an EagleTac T20C2. I like the size and might even consider going slightly larger. I'm Upgrading to get better throw and more output. This light has to be close to 10 years old now and I'm sure the technology and LED's have come a long way. Looks like the new 21700 battery is the latest thing. Give me some recommendations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd go with a Convoy S2+ or BLF A6. It's a simple, inexpensive, good light, which is very similar to the T20C2 (except the tail switch is a reverse clicky, not a forward). Runs off a single 18650. You'll get around 900 lumens with the Convoy, or about 1200 lumens with the BLF (though less regulated).

Frankly, you can't go wrong with those lights, because they're still very useful lights even if they're not a perfect match for what you want. And they're cheap, around $20. After you try a light like that, which is a neither a floody light or a throwy light, you'll get a better idea of what you really want (or might decide it's perfect). Get it in a neutral tint, such as with the 3A Cree option, or 5A if you want something warmish. Stay away from 1A, which is cool white, even though that's probably what you're used to. Once you go neutral white, you'll never go back to cool.

Ace12

Enlightened
Spoilt for choice really, what's your use case and budget?

Mainly work. Shining to the other side of a long crawl space or attic. But I use it outdoors some too. Under $150. I'd like to go with a rechargeable 21700 if the runtime will be better.

alohasurftoad

Enlightened
Klarus XT21X or if you don't mind a larger diameter head, Acebeam L35, 5000 lumens, 57KCd, TIR optic, 21700 USB-C battery included. i have one and it's pretty great.

Add.. Nitecore P20i or MH12S, Fenix PD36R

Last edited:

Ace12

Enlightened
P20i looks nice. It doesn't mention color temp. I'm prefer 5000K at the coolest. I don't like 6500K

alohasurftoad

Enlightened
I'm prefer 5000K at the coolest. I don't like 6500K

I also have a P20i. It has an SST40-w. The color is definitely not 6.5K, its not even 6K. It's cooler than 5K, so my guess is about 5.5K. The light feels solid and good in yoyr hand. Comes with a QR holster that works nice.

alohasurftoad

Enlightened
You have any beam shots?

i don't, however there are videos on youtube such as this to browse through...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4XuRbbuu_Y

if you want it a slightly less throw/more flood, they(nitecore) also have the P10i and MH12S, which very similar but less "tactical".

it's difficult to interpret the color from video because of all the variables. the video i linked seems similar to my perception, so i posted it.

ADDED this new Fenix just came out. not sure if neutral is available. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...4-*2021*-New-Fenix-TK16-V2-0-E-Lite-and-LR50R

Last edited:

Scotty321

Newly Enlightened
P20i looks nice. It doesn't mention color temp. I'm prefer 5000K at the coolest. I don't like 6500K

When I compared my P20i to my MH25GT, the lower modes seem greener than the MH25GT. The Hi seems just as white. There is a noticeable hot spot with lots of spill. You can also see the bezel outline on the edges of the beam. I really like mine, but might suggest the MH12S for the extra modes, mode memory and a tactical mode option, and a larger hotspot. You might notice that many of the new smaller lights just use more lumen to give you more distance. It is great if you like spill, but eats up the battery quicker if you need that mode for longer periods of time. If you really need a tight hotspot and limited spill in a size similar to your Eagletac, maybe look at the "New P30," but it's more of a spotlight for hunting.

When I work in the attic, I use a flood on the floor, and a headlamp. However if you are trying to see across the space, rather than everything at once, that might not work for you.

alohasurftoad

Enlightened
What about the PD40R V2?

If you don't mind it not having a tail cap switch, it appears to be an awesome light. if it had a forward clicky tail cap switch with rotary to change modes it would be more appealing to me.

Last edited: