Zebralight thrower?

ateupwithgolf

Enlightened
I've owned several EDC lights and I always come back to my favorite light being my SC63w followed by the SC700D. However, I'm in the market for a pocket thrower, (18650 or 21700 either) the closest I've found to maybe liking (on paper) is the Noctigon KR1vn, but got me thinking what I really want is a Zebralight that throws 110kcd or so in a Zebralight body with the same form factor as the SC700D or smaller. Is this a unicorn?

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, the SC600w IV HI is a nice general-purpose outdoor light. Only about 20K candella, at most. Good enough for most purposes. But if you need a thrower, it's probably better to look elsewhere. Taking apart a Zebralight in order to mod it is a nightmare, and you'll probably break something.

I wish they would just use screw-on bezels and switch retaining rings, like everyone else. It wouldn't hurt the thermal properties of the light, and make it so much easier to mod.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone attempted to change the LED say to the osram, sst40, or sbt90.2 in a SC700D? Is that doable?

Yes, there are only a few people that mod Zebralights, but that's because they are sealed up tight.
I don't know if it's worth the hassle when you could buy an Acebeam E10

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to stick to the 21700 battery size. The E10 is a bit too stubby for my liking.

It's lack of clip is what makes it a nonstarter for me, Otherwise it would be a good edc. It will out throw the zebralight with an emitter swapped. Unless you change more in the sc700. Maybe a swap too a smooth reflector or a tir optic similar to the E10.

Getting a light modded though expensive can sometimes fill a gap in flashlight types you desire, I know I've done it a lot in the past. It's also why I always look to see what modders like SkyLumens is up too :)

Last edited:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fireflies E01 is a side switch 21700 flashlight with an osram led, the beam ain't pretty do too the optic but that's the trade off for smallish throwy lights

NPL

Enlightened
The sc700d has a xhp70 led footprint, and from my knowledge there is no xhp70 footprint LED that is small and able to throw. Since the driver and led board are integrated, no chance in modding an sc700d into a thrower.

Sent from my Pixel using Candlepowerforums mobile app

Bob_McBob

Newly Enlightened
The sc700d has a xhp70 led footprint, and from my knowledge there is no xhp70 footprint LED that is small and able to throw. Since the driver and led board are integrated, no chance in modding an sc700d into a thrower.

Sent from my Pixel using Candlepowerforums mobile app

The GT-FC40 is a domeless high CRI option that works nicely as an XHP70 replacement, but unfortunately it's 12V only, while I have it on good authority the SC700 driver is intended for the 6V configuration. Based on my understanding of their driver design it may still work, but not at the correct levels. Another option is dedoming the XHP70.2, which is kind of a pain in the *** because you have to carefully dice up the phosphor around the die and bond wires. I would prefer to swap it to a dedomed XHP70, which is unfortunately only readily available in 5700K in high CRI (it should end up a little warmer). But in any case, it's not exactly going to be a "thrower" with a reflector and LED combination like that no matter what you do.

markr6

Flashaholic
That SC700d is just absolutely SCREAMING for a throwy LED/slightly modified reflector.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
That SC700d is just absolutely SCREAMING for a throwy LED/slightly modified reflector.

Yeah, given that they got into the sort-of throwy category with the SC600w HI, I don't see why they wouldn't have already done a thrower with the SC700 form factor. Even if they stuck with Cree, the XHP35 HI would have made a decent choice.

brightasday

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, given that they got into the sort-of throwy category with the SC600w HI, I don't see why they wouldn't have already done a thrower with the SC700 form factor. Even if they stuck with Cree, the XHP35 HI would have made a decent choice.

I'd buy one. My one nitpick with the SC700d is that H1 is so bright up close that it interferes with seeing farther. I'd buy any semi-throwy Zebralight using 21700s. It doesn't have to be a real thrower: just a little less close-up brightness and a little more distance.