H3 fog bulb and 796 reverse bulb upgrades for MB W126

jlwm

Newly Enlightened
Hello:

I have a 1981 Mercedes-Benz 300SD Turbo Diesel (W126). What is the preferred H3 bulb to use in stock, yellow reflector fog lamp housings? I replaced the faded 40 year old original fog lamps with new OE lamps to refresh the front end and want to pair them with a good bulb. I've seen older posts recommend the OSRAM Night Breaker Unlimited H3 bulbs, but the images on Amazon show them to be a blue bulb. Will that make the fog lamp output green instead of yellow?

I've also read that the 796 bulb is a good replacement for the stock 7506 reverse lamp bulb. Which 796 bulb is recommended?

Thanks in advance!

Mr. Merk

Newly Enlightened
I bought my 796 bulbs from Daniel Stern. He also has several options for quality H3 bulbs listed, so I'm sure he could hook you up with the right ones for your particular fog lamps.

I just used plain jane H3 bulbs from Sylvania in the yellow fog lamps on my '88 Carrera, but I'll likely get some 55W Narva Plus+50 from Dan when I replace my damaged lenses again soon.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen older posts recommend the OSRAM Night Breaker Unlimited H3 bulbs, but the images on Amazon show them to be a blue bulb. Will that make the fog lamp output green instead of yellow?
Depending on the depth of the blue tinting, it will make the light tend more toward orange or red. Blue tint on the bulb strips out some yellow, yellow tint on the lens strips out some blue, the redder band of light is left over. (It can also result in a more violet color.) Note this is true of incandescent light sources; with LED light sources the blue light is largely monochromatic.

I've also read that the 796 bulb is a good replacement for the stock 7506 reverse lamp bulb. Which 796 bulb is recommended?
Daniel Stern probably has the 796.

Last edited:

jlwm

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions. I ordered a pair of 796s and a pair of Narva H3 55w +50 bulbs from Daniel.