Why do you need a EDC flashlight if you have your phone?

XTAR Light

Enlightened
Vendor
Your cell phone flashlight maybe be ok for basic daily lighting tasks, but it's flood light with no throw, can't illuminate things in the distance. And a dedicated edc flashlight is built expressly for providing light. It's much brighter than your phone light, can also light wider range. For example, different lighting performance in the picture below: phone flashlight vs XTAR RC2-200 mid mode.

Besides, a flashlight is easy to use. You may have to unlock your phone and find the flashlight app in the dark, not very convenient when you compare it to the ease of turning on a flashlight with 1 single press.

Besides, a LED edc flashlight has a dedicated battery with long runtime whereas the phone is primarily designed as a phone and just has the perk of a light. The flashlight is going to drain phone's battery , which is probably something you don't want if you're lost at night. What's more, drop or lose your flashlight, maybe about $1–$50; Drop or lose your cell phone when using its flashlight, more money and time wasting...

How about your reasons of carrying a flashlight daily?

MGMwA8i.jpg
[/IMG]

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why would anyone need anything other than the basic essentials in life? Things such as food, water, clothes.

Flashlights don't add into the equation at all. Neither do cell phones.

jross20

Newly Enlightened
I'm assuming this is just for fun.

But in reality the light on cell phones was not really intended for long use. They don't really have any heat sinking.

And then of course there's the whole no throw thing. And I guess you could think about the fact that if you drop a flashlight it's probably fine, if you drop your phone it's probably broken haha. another thing is that it's much easier to hold a cylinder than it is to hold a flat slab.

Always best to have a real flashlight.:candle:

scout24

Flashaholic
I carry an edc flashlight for the same reason I carry a pocketknife, multitool, a butane lighter, and various other items. Just in case. Life is unpredictable. And my edc flashlight is a lot easier to use than the app on my phone. It's multi mode and a lot tougher than my phone as well. In addition to having better runtime.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
This hits home. I've had this discussion a few times with people when my EDC light is questioned.

The light on your phone is a convenience for when you're caught without a real flashlight. And on most smartphones, you can't run your phone battery down and pop a new battery in anymore. My phone is a communication device first, I'd rather not waste battery life using it for light. Back in the day, my work phone was an Audiovox monster that looked like a walkie talkie. I always had a couple spare batteries for it with me, you could swap those out like rifle mags.

It's also sort of awkward to activate without searching for the little button when the screen goes to sleep. A real flashlight has a tactile button you can feel and activate even in total darkness.

And, walking around in the dark holding your phone out is a recipe for dropping it, banging it on stuff, etc. I'd rather use a Surefire, Malkoff, Maglite, Gladius or other light I have with me that I know will survive dropping and rough usage rather than chance dropping my IphoneXR down the stairs, into a puddle, rolling around on the ground, or whatever.

Last edited:

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had this conversation with someone at the local dog park recently. Just a few minutes after sunset but the area was a little dark, he must have dropped something and was hunched over with his iPhone looking around. I whipped out my trusty dog park light and in a few minutes we found his keys....good thing it wasn't something important!

We started talking about flashlights and he asked what I paid for mine. When I told him the price ($90) I thought his head was going to explode! I told him it wasn't that bad especially seeing as how he was using a $1000 flashlight before I helped him.

I knew it sunk in when he asked me if I could get him one like mine.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I am sorry, but as a manufacturer you are not going to like my reply.

My EDC is a keychain light. A cooyoo.
Last year, I had my daughter's car, and not my keys, nor my cooyoo, when I was in a Walmart (a big chain store) and the lights went out. I reached into my pocket for my keys and cooyoo, and they weren't there; only my daughter's key was there. No flashlight.

I was amazed at how quickly 2 out of 3 people had their flashlight app running on their cell phones. The store, was cell phone lit, before the back-ups were on line. I now have my flashlight app on the front page of my cell phone.

Regarding the concern of dropping a cell phone: that is not a big selling point. Most, I would say have bought additional drop protective cases.

Perhaps a better question from a manufacturers point of view would be:
Why is it important to have a flashlight in addition to your cell phone?

I can only answer for me:
1. in my car I want a light to look around the interior while my cell phone is busy playing music.
2. in my car I need a light that can use a RED diffuser cone to assist in directing traffic at the scene of an accident.
3. I may need or want to look at something 20-200 feet away, or 2500 feet away.
4. while at home, the lights that are used most often are cigar shaped, 18650 lights. Their tasks can be replaced for the most part by a cell phone light, for indoor use. The 18650 lights though are placed indoors in locations that they are most often needed. The 18650 lights mentioned above are far superior out doors.
5. one advantage of having multiple flashlights is that they can be stationed at "strategic" locations. This also frees one up from having to carry his/her cell phone EVERYWHERE.

Good luck in your marketing.
I hope I was helpful

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I'm doing a serious task, I'd rather have a solid, tough flashlight instead of a delicate, expensive smart phone.

I once got my car bogged down in some soft, muddy grass (my fault; forgot about all the rain the previous day). It was after dark. I used both my EDC and one or two more lights from my backpack to light the area around the car. I just put two of the lights down on the soaking wet grass, aimed at the car. The third light I kept in my hand or moved around as needed.

I was wrestling a floor jack, pieces of wood, and other stuff to try to get the car's back wheels out of the mud hole they'd dug and braced up on something. I was wet and muddy, the flashlights got wet and muddy. I accidentally stepped on one when I took a step backwards. Picked it up, banged it against my boot a few times to knock the mud off the lens, and put it back in position.

When I got home, I just rinsed the mud off of the lights using the kitchen sink faucet. Opened them up and they were completely dry inside.

I bet most people wouldn't be willing to put their expensive smartphone through that kind of usage, and a phone might not survive it.

Last edited:

XTAR Light

Enlightened
Vendor
I carry an edc flashlight for the same reason I carry a pocketknife, multitool, a butane lighter, and various other items. Just in case. Life is unpredictable. And my edc flashlight is a lot easier to use than the app on my phone. It's multi mode and a lot tougher than my phone as well. In addition to having better runtime.

Yes! There may be another good response to it: "We would bring an umbrella without a thought for a 50% chance of rain, so why wouldn't we carry a light for a 100% chance of darkness every night?" :candle: