"Police" Xenon Lights

Chingyul

Newly Enlightened
\"Police\" Xenon Lights

Hey,
Just wondering about these? Any comments? Comparison to mag or an arc aaa?
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=524564&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

Debating whether to get this, or just add the extra $10-15 bucks and grab a SF G2.
Even then, I'm debating about the G2 and the SL TL-2.
Thinking about how long I've been on this board, I don't have a single high quality light (besides my arc aaa).
What to do, what to do.
I got some questions on the G2, but I'll post that somewhere else.
Thanks
Dan

jhereg

Enlightened
Re: \"Police\" Xenon Lights

I see a couple of ways of looking at this. The "Police" flashlights feel good in my hands, but beam quality is mediocre to horrible. Lots and lots of rings. They use a flanged bulb, and it is not easy to find better replacements. Switches also seem to be hit and miss in my experience. Some are really nice, some are not so nice. For the price and size they are worth getting as a mod host if nothing else.

Here are my three suggestions
1) Buy the "Police" flashlight & use it. When you get tired of it buy the G2 & mod your first purchase. This enables you to slowly work your way into the hobby (addiction) instead of starting at full speed. You will be much more impressed with this flashlight if you buy it BEFORE you buy a high quality flashlight with a textured reflector.

2) Skip the "Police" flashlight & just buy high quality. The G2 is a great flashlight. If you want brighter purchase a P61LA for the G2.

3) In the CPF tradition, buy both.

chrisse242

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
jhereg said:

Here are my three suggestions
1) Buy the "Police" flashlight & use it. When you get tired of it buy the G2 & mod your first purchase. This enables you to slowly work your way into the hobby (addiction) instead of starting at full speed. You will be much more impressed with this flashlight if you buy it BEFORE you buy a high quality flashlight with a textured reflector.

2) Skip the "Police" flashlight & just buy high quality. The G2 is a great flashlight. If you want brighter purchase a P61LA for the G2.

3) In the CPF tradition, buy both.

[/ QUOTE ]

You missed out 4) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif : Buy the police light, when you get tired skip purchasing the G2 and go directly to modding the police light. Perhaps it won't be as bright as the G2 after modding it, but you can say: I built this myself!
The 2x123 police lights make great lights with high dome luxeons and stock reflector, good throw and very usable sidespill.
You should try a search on "police" and "Walther" to find out more about the lights and possible mods.

Chrisse

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd say skip the Police light. Go with either the G2 or if you want something of a similar form factor then get the SF 6P. I think if you're lucky you can get them for around $40 with some dealers if they have it on special or something. You'll definitely be happier with the quality you paid for.

All else said, I'd have to say the Police light is actually a good mod host as well... As Chrisse mentioned, do a search in the homemade modified section and you'll find quite a few mods based on this light.

Chingyul

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the imput.
Guess I'll skip on the Police light and go for something nicer.
Now, stuck between G2, 6p or the TL-2.
More research.
I was strongly considering that $40 6P on BST, but that's gone.
Thanks guys.

Prolepsis

Enlightened

Dan:

If you are interested in the 6P, PM me. I have two that I bought recently, but I don't really need both /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Easier to ship from Canada to Canada as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif PM me if you want more info.

Having said that, you *might* like the G2 more, because it is more durable than the 6P. The 6P only has Black HAII--when I took them out of the box, you can see very very very small bits where the HAII seems to be missing (on the knurling).

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like the TL-2 / or the Twin Task 2L. The bulb is 5-6 dollars to replace. Much cheaper than the G2 / 6P lamp assemblies that go for 12-17 dollars. In my experience the Surefire lamp assemblies don't last any longer or burn any brighter then the Streamlight bulbs.

E

Emilion

The 9 LED version (HKD50~~ USD6 w/batteries and pouch) worth a try. Similar output compared with SL4AA LED. The run time of the "Xenon" version is just around 20-30 minutes.

davidra

Enlightened

My first "serious" light was a G2. I did an easy mod with an Ozark clickie. It's a perfect first light; only thing it's lacking is a lock out cap. I have run down one set of batteries while traveling, even with the clickie.

jhereg

Enlightened

If you want to lock out the G2 you can unscrew the bezel a turn or two. That works on both of mine. It's not as convenient, but it works.