Good EDC flashlight for a gift

Urzza

Newly Enlightened
1) How would you prefer to purchase light?

2) Budget:
Around $50
3) Format:
Hand held

4) Size:
Tiny to small

5) Emitter/Light source:
LED

6) Manufacturer:
No preference

7) What power source do you want to use?
Something AA to AAA in size. I'm also ok with rechargeable batteries or something built in

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option
I don't care

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).
Enough light to search a good size room. Maybe a turbo mode for shining in eyes, but that's a want and not a must

9) Flood vs Throw
Narrow flood to wide throw

9a) Distance:
5 to 50 yards

10) Runtime:
Preferably 90-120, but 30-60 is also fine.

11) Durability/Usage
Very important

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply)
I want a nice switch, location is not too important.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection.
I think two levels, normal and turbo, would
be best. More is fine however

14)Material
Metal

15) Water resistance
It should be able to deal with getting wet, but isn't not for diving or anything like that

16) Storage
In house

17) Special Needs
Belt clip

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a zebralight sc52w in the classifieds that would be a great EDC that fits your parameters. And at 50 dollars it's a steal! It would just take time to get used to the UI.

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
I think Streamlight Protac 1AA Dual Fuel fights most of the criteria you listed. I keep one in my locker at work as a back up, but have never had to use it because I use a Malkoff, but that is over the budget you listed, so I can't personally say how durable the Streamlight is. Maybe something to look at though.

Eicca

Newly Enlightened
Fenix E12 V2 is my top pick for these type of situations. It's a AA. Olight has their i3T and i5T which are AAA and AA respectively, those are the same idea with a little more pizzaz in the design.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think Streamlight Protac 1AA Dual Fuel fights most of the criteria you listed. I keep one in my locker at work as a back up, but have never had to use it because I use a Malkoff, but that is over the budget you listed, so I can't personally say how durable the Streamlight is. Maybe something to look at though.

This is what I would recommend, however it is a ProTac 1L-1AA Dual Fuel.

I have 3 or 4, all of them well under $50, actually all under $40, if I remember correctly.

I keep these with any "bag" I might potentially have with me, as their ability to take multiple cells (CR123, 1 AA, 1 AAA) makes it the perfect flashlight (at least for me) to have with me if I find myself in a situation that might require use over an extended period of time, and that I might have to utilize various cells for.

nimdabew

Enlightened
For a purely EDC throw away light, I recommend the Nitecore NM01. It has an ok low mode, a great high mode, is rechargable, and it's cheap. I give that flashlight to people when they need one but don't want to give them a throw away light that I keep with my cars (cheap amazon AA zoomable light, 5 for 24.99).

Latest posts