HDS Systems        
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Challenge Week #3: Throwers Only! Got Throw??

Ooo Challenge Week #3: Throwers Only! Got Throw??

Thrower: A light with a beam profile which concentrates most of the output into a center "hot spot", to send more intensity far down range for distant illumination. The D and C cell Maglites are well-known examples of this type of light.

Good for lighting things far away; not so good for lighting things that are only a few feet in front of you, since the spill beam tends to be overpowered by the much brighter hotspot, which is very small at close range.

The Challenge: This week, use only "thrower" types of lights! It can be any number of lights, any output range, but the lights used must all have the "thrower" beam profile.

Techno-babble:

Don't base this on lux numbers alone! Many recent lights have high lux numbers just because they have a huge lumen output, but the beam profile is actually more of a flood light! The beam profile of a thrower should look more like this:

TK20

TK12

Stock SureFire 6P incan module (6V) in a SolarForce host

These old-school examples should give the idea. There are many lights out there right now being marketed as "throwers" but if you look at their Lux-to-Lumen ratio, it's actually less (often significantly less) than the lights above. For example, the TK20 has been measured at about 6000 lux on its 150 lumen output. So Lux/Lumen = 40. You can use that as a rough guide to see how effective any given "thrower" really is.

Many newer lights that I checked have ratios more like 15 lux/lumen, so a true thrower may be harder to find than you think!

---------------------------------

The challenge this week will make us get creative at using a thrower beam for all tasks, not just long range/outdoor use. Using beam modifiers (diffusers, tape, etc) is NOT allowed. --edited to change this from original post, after reconsideration; see later posts below.

Rules list can be found in the first post here (I added an item as an addendum to the original set):

Link to Thread with Rules List

That's it! Have fun!
    Last edited by Stress_Test; 01-24-2021 at 10:19 AM. Reason: changed to disallow diffusion

Default Re: Challenge Week #3: Throwers Only! Got Throw??

Hmm... this is going to be a tricky one for me

Almost all my throwers are for outdoor use so I haven`t changed the emitters to a more pleasant tint <4000k except for my SF11 and that`s a nice 3500k, but it`s Big! the FT03 is out the question, the C8 is like 5000k so out the question as well, a LEP would be silly! and my FF4 HID would be annoying because of the warm up delay.
    I can do the Surefire p60 dropin though! and maybe use the Original Mk1 Manker E02 with the reflector, or maybe swap the carclo lens in my d4v2 out for the narrow beam one that I don`t use. I have a 2D mag halogen but again, it`s Big!
    I have a 26650 Zoomie that I did a nice 4000k emitter swap with, if zoomies are allowed? (I can`t beleive I just admitted to owning a Zoomie in public! )

I really need to think hard about this one.

Hm.. Since I just used my 6P in the first challenge, it would be boring to rely on it again for this one. All depends on whether or not you consider the Fury (15/500) a trower or not. I certainly would. It throws further then many 1000 lumen lights Ive seen. Since I got it not too long ago, this would be a good opportunity to give it some more use.

Enlightened

Excellent! I guess I'll probably be using Surefire E1B and L1 a lot this week. The Aviators are pretty throwy too... I'll try to post some pics.

I have three lights with throwy profiles: a Convoy C8 XM-L2 with OP reflector, one M2 SST-20 with smooth, and an S2+ SST20 with smooth as well. All three have pencil beams, but I don't know their lux/lumen ratio and have no way of measuring it.

EDIT: You know what, heck, I'll do this one with those three. Even if one doesn't technically match the specs, at least it can be in the spirit of things And it will be a welcome break from the pure flood of the EDC01. I'm missing having a hotspot in my beam by now.

I'll get started at sunset, as per last week. 7-day streak, incoming!
    Last edited by Jean-Luc Descarte; 01-24-2021 at 07:21 AM.

Pencil beam week will be like freestyle week for me. Flooder week would be the one where I'd struggle with in stock items.

Time to dust off those Luxeon lights.

Good week to get my mind wrapped around this tiny tosser.
    Manker T01. T is for tosser.
    Long press for off freaks me out everytime. It's how it ended up in my collection. The previous owner haaaaaaaaated the interface and sent it to me. It's one of those 8355 lumen numbers for 12 seconds on a special battery that settles to a normal output after that. I stuck a Rayovac in it and giggle like a second grader after burping the national anthem when it lights up my neighbors shed 300 feet away.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 01-24-2021 at 08:35 AM.
    John 3:16

+

I still have an original Dereelight DBS from '07 == Crazy deep reflector & upgradable 'pills' like in P60 lights
    That was one of the very first true led throwers & it seems like yesterday I was emailing Alan at Dereelight about new pills . Fun time with lights for sure.

{without doing a google search, who knows what DBS stands for}

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ght-DBS-review!
    Last edited by orbital; 01-24-2021 at 08:20 AM. Reason: extras>

I'm reconsidering the statement about allowing temporary mods to a light for beam diffusion; seems like that defeats the point of the exercise.

What do you guys think, should the requirement be that the beam has to remain unmodified for the week? No diffuser, no scotch-tape, no nuthin'?

well I`v stuck a 6v Surefire P-61 in my Seraph just to be on the safe side (at least I`ll have something nice I can use), and I do have an awefull lot of DC-Fix equiv here and frosted fIlters, so I dunno, it would be in my best interests to say "Allow it" so I`ll leave it to others and abstain from giving an opinion.
    Either way, I think my Surefire incan and modded SF11 will be my carry this week, at least that`s what I`v decided so far

it`s quite a timely challenge really, because we`re having some Snow here and as everyone knows, Throwers and Snow are a match made in heaven!

Exclamation Re: Challenge Week #3: Throwers Only! Got Throw??

A Throw Challenge is for use for lights only in a throw configuration, no diffusers. These challenges are meant to be specific...if I didn't have the light that fit the challenge I'd just skip that week.

I have my Thrunite TN4A HI that throws over 450m that I'll be using this week.
    THRUNITE > Archer1AV2|TiS|TH20|TN4A Hi...all in neutral white
    YUJILEDS BC Series 95+ HiCRI
    > Sofirn C01|Dorcy Penlight (Yuji modded)
    XTARVC4, LCTBC500, Amaloops, 1999 MAG-LITE 2D Incandescent(glass lens) Petzl Tikkina 80L ..... Fenix E01

Quote Originally Posted by Stress_Test View Post
    I'm reconsidering the statement about allowing temporary mods to a light for beam diffusion; seems like that defeats the point of the exercise.

What do you guys think, should the requirement be that the beam has to remain unmodified for the week? No diffuser, no scotch-tape, no nuthin'?

I say don't allow nuffin'. If you use workarounds to make your thrower floody, you might as well be using a flooder.

Besides, who needs adaptations when throwers are so marvelous at ceiling bounce?

Sounds like the zoomy is verboten as well.

When performing close up uses the intensity of a thrower may become annoying due to self blinding. So take the case of the Luxeon lit Maglite solitaire (the 37 lumen one) that intense hot spot would be too extreme for peering into a usb port looking for dust. And with no way to lessen the output that one would not be ideal for the folks who only carry one light.

Ok, so how about this? A snoot to turn a flooder into a thrower? The home made snoot eliminates all spill. But is it acceptable for this challenge? Just thinking out loud.

Okay, I've edited the opening post to say that a diffusing mod is not allowed. Wasn't considering the implications last night when I wrote that part!

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    Sounds like the zoomy is verboten as well.

When performing close up uses the intensity of a thrower may become annoying due to self blinding. So take the case of the Luxeon lit Maglite solitaire (the 37 lumen one) that intense hot spot would be too extreme for peering into a usb port looking for dust. And with no way to lessen the output that one would not be ideal for the folks who only carry one light.

Ok, so how about this? A snoot to turn a flooder into a thrower? The home made snoot eliminates all spill. But is it acceptable for this challenge? Just thinking out loud.
    Just saw this.. I think we gotta go with un-modified beams for this challenge. However, multiple lights and multiple modes are allowed. So, if you've got a thrower that has a moonlight or 5 ~ 10 lumen mode, that'll help for close range work.

As for "zoomable" lights; well, if that's the only thrower a person has, I think that'd be okay so long as they dial it for a throw beam only, and don't use it in flood mode. Not ideal, but I guess we can allow it.

I really enjoyed the last two, but this one I will have to sit out. I favor balanced beams, leaning toward flood. My only true thrower is too large for pocket duty. I will enjoy using some of my favorite lights again this week as I cheer you on from the sidelines.

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    I really enjoyed the last two, but this one I will have to sit out. I favor balanced beams, leaning toward flood. My only true thrower is too large for pocket duty. I will enjoy using some of my favorite lights again this week as I cheer you on from the sidelines.
    I'm in the same boat.

I've got a few modern throw-y lights in inventory - Emisar D1, Emisar D1S, and a Manker Mk41 - and a few older lights - Pelican M6 3W, a no-name aespheric, a 35W HID spotlight that's sat idle for a decade, at least one more.

But my daily use cases call for flood. Even the Emisar D4/D4S stock optics are a bit too tight for dog-walking, around the house, project work. If I've got to reach out to 20m+ I'll use brute force for a few seconds, but >95% of the time I need perhaps 5m of useful illumination.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

My EDC is a 1 cell max vision number that I put a water bottle cap over to reduce the intensity of the hot spot. I really don't consider it a thrower anyway. Like with other challenges that one is a work light. So it still goes with me, even though I don't use it for recreational or general use purposes. It's used whenever work requires it.

My Bones and Bravo AVS have 3 distinct beams. A tiny hot spot, a milder but still intense outter ring to accent the tiny hot spot and a 3rd intensity for a broad spill. So that one is tricky to decide without doing some math to come up with a ratio. So I'll forgoe using those for this one. To replace those, again the Pentagon eX2 with M60T will get the call.

Enlightened

This is going to be fun and challenging! Back to the old standby of the cupped hand over the bezel as an improvised diffuser. Safe to assume that's acceptable?

this should be interesting

I say YES !

I could just continue using the same light I used all this week, the SF E1L, but I'm wanting to not only work my Jetbeam and Ra Clicky back into my rotation, but I've got some new-to-me lights I want to play with, so I'm out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Attic Works View Post
    This is going to be fun and challenging! Back to the old standby of the cupped hand over the bezel as an improvised diffuser. Safe to assume that's acceptable?
    I personally think that goes

I have to sit this one out. There are too many times throughout the week that I need a very physically small light, can’t get a maglite or a DBS to work at all.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    -- Albert Einstein

Flashaholic*

Impossible for me. Good luck to everyone!
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

Post Re: Challenge Week #3: Throwers Only! Got Throw??

Quote Originally Posted by jabe1 View Post
    I have to sit this one out. There are too many times throughout the week that I need a very physically small light, can’t get a maglite or a DBS to work at all.
    As it says in the challenge rules thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Challenge Rule #2
    2. You can carry additional lights etc for emergency needs in support of rule #1.

a. For example, if your job requires some particular light use outside of what the "challenge light" can do, that's okay. However! Report any such usage by posting in the challenge thread, so your fellow flashaholics can judge you innocent or guilty
    But in the end, it's your choice

One of the things I enjoy about these challenges is the chance to use lights I don't really think about that much. Shelf queens and blast from the past numbers. In this one my brain has been contemplating which lights I own with the most throw versus lumens. And the two I really like for this one but tend to forget are from around 2015.

The Streamlight and Menards
    The Streamlight Multi-Ops was an a/c repairmans light with a 40 lumen LED with 2000+ candella, a red pointer and a 390nm UV for finding refrigerant leaks. It easily lights objects well at 50-100 feet. The Menards is a wooden 1 watt 2aa number that easily throws a beam 100 feet.

The idea was to have the roster by sundown today (6pm) so those two, the Manker from an earlier post for regular use, a Pelican 2390 for backup and the Elzetta aa I use for a night light for it's ability to reach the opposite end of my house with 1.5 lumens.

And so it begins.

As a side, when Mrs Fixer and I take our evening strolls this week I'll carry a Maglite ML100 for it's 23,000+ cd at 137 lumens.

Edit: if anybody reading this participated in the M61N 4L group buy and are having trouble finding a thrower the SST20 is pretty throwey.

Brinkmann MaxFire with patriotic "glove" by Mrs. Fixer.
    End edit
    Last edited by bykfixer; 01-24-2021 at 05:54 PM.

Enlightened

bykfixer, can you share more about this Elzetta aa?

Sure. On high it has a pretty broad, conical shaped beam where the medium has a good throw without all of the spill. On low it tosses a beam forward with enough spill that keeps me from goose stepping into furniture.

The specs.

What the burglar sees on low.

Up close spot vs spill on low at 1 foot.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 01-24-2021 at 08:19 PM.

Once again, I`m in.
    I`v decided to go with the surefire P60 dropin and the Sofirn SF11, the p60 is just on the edge of being a good edc size for me and the SF11 is just a rotund chonk of metal that`s not EDC size at all (for me anyway), but they`re the smallest throwers I have with a decent tint.

So what do you guys say to using the Fury for this Challenge. Thrower or not?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast