Acebeam        

Thread: Any modern lights with interfaces that aren't crazy?

Default Any modern lights with interfaces that aren't crazy?

The last lights I bought and liked have basically just had an on/off switch and a dimmer: Nitecore's SRT3, SRT6, SRT9, and HC90. But Nitecore's been discontinuing that style and all that's left is the SRT7; everything else is that nutty "triple-click switch B for momentary turbo while in daily mode, it's so easy" nonsense just like so many others. Is there anyone making lights that have modern features like a steady 4k+ lumens, compact, rechargeable, waterproof, etc. but with an interface that isn't terrible?

Default Re: Any modern lights with interfaces that aren't crazy?

i hear you, but you lost me at

Quote Originally Posted by TigerhawkT3 View Post
    modern features like a steady 4k+ lumens, compact
    what? which light is like that?

Most Surefires. Also the HDS Rotary is just the best there is when it comes to user interface. Just my opinion but look in to them if the price is right.

I think you're unlikely o find an HDS with 4000 lumens.
    P
    "O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!" He chortled in his joy.

The last lights I bought and liked have basically just had an on/off switch and a dimmer: Nitecore's SRT3, SRT6, SRT9, and HC90. But Nitecore's been discontinuing that style and all that's left is the SRT7; everything else is that nutty "triple-click switch B for momentary turbo while in daily mode, it's so easy" nonsense just like so many others. Is there anyone making lights that have modern features like a steady 4k+ lumens, compact, rechargeable, waterproof, etc. but with an interface that isn't terrible?
    The newer Pxxi series has "turbo" whenever you turn on the light. The "mode" button switches the brightness levels. Many of the modern competitors have a similar mode button. Their i4000R and some MH lights' turbo mode is just holding down the mode button while the flashlight is on, or some just put the "turbo" in as another brightness level while cycling. I think most of those (not the P series) have mode memory, too. The MH25GT is the older style tighten for high, and loosen for modes (mode changing is a little clunky on that one). I'm not familiar with the three presses turbo options, but I haven't looked at all of their current offerings.

I know that some of their lights have the triple click for strobe... I'm not a fan of that either.

I don't think you are going to find any current, as of this writing, flashlight that is not the size of a soda pop can or two that will hold 4k+ for more than a few minutes. Maybe the Fenix LR35R?
    Last edited by Scotty321; 01-25-2021 at 03:47 AM.

Surefire, HDS, Malkoff, Elzetta

But 4k and compact? Sorry mate.

Quote Originally Posted by SYZYGY View Post
    i hear you, but you lost me at

what? which light is like that?
    Nitecore's T4K, E4K, and i4000R, although the T4K only goes up to 200 lumens outside of the very limited 4K turbo mode, and it's not waterproof. Smaller than the other two, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronc6901 View Post
    Most Surefires. Also the HDS Rotary is just the best there is when it comes to user interface. Just my opinion but look in to them if the price is right.
    I checked out what Surefire and HDS are offering these days, and their output and other features aren't competitive with lights I already have, even before considering prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty321 View Post
    The newer Pxxi series has "turbo" whenever you turn on the light. The "mode" button switches the brightness levels. Many of the modern competitors have a similar mode button. Their i4000R and some MH lights' turbo mode is just holding down the mode button while the flashlight is on, or some just put the "turbo" in as another brightness level while cycling. I think most of those (not the P series) have mode memory, too. The MH25GT is the older style tighten for high, and loosen for modes (mode changing is a little clunky on that one). I'm not familiar with the three presses turbo options, but I haven't looked at all of their current offerings.

I know that some of their lights have the triple click for strobe... I'm not a fan of that either.

I don't think you are going to find any current, as of this writing, flashlight that is not the size of a soda pop can or two that will hold 4k+ for more than a few minutes. Maybe the Fenix LR35R?
    Nitecore's i4000R and E4K have 30-minute runtimes listed for turbo output, although they say that's assuming temperature regulation doesn't kick in. Nitecore's TM10K has no listed turbo runtime - it's hard-limited to seven seconds per activation. Presumably, the i4000R and E4K can handle turbo for longer than just "look how bright this is." But the interfaces... I've read the manuals and I honestly think they need flowcharts.

i4000R and E4K are both 25 second timer stepdown for their turbo modes

T4K is 10 second timer for turbo

I don't think they qualify as 4000 lumens steady. That doesn't seem possible right now in a 21700 light but I'd love to see if you can find one. AFAIK the best performing 21700 light is the Zebralight SC700d that can probably hold close to 3000 lumens (but only in extreme cold) for ~25 minutes.

a Fire Foxes FF5 on low power will do 4k pretty much until the batteries die, Finding one will be the hard part though.
    Last edited by Katherine Alicia; 01-25-2021 at 08:21 AM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by peter yetman View Post
    I think you're unlikely o find an HDS with 4000 lumens.

Maybe if he had a few thousand dollars to burn, he could strap a dozen of them together.

Nitecore's T4K, E4K, and i4000R, although the T4K only goes up to 200 lumens outside of the very limited 4K turbo mode, and it's not waterproof. Smaller than the other two, though.
    i don't see how a light that size passively cooled in air can output 4 klm steady with the current state of technology.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronc6901 View Post
    A Surefire putting 4000 lumens out the front? Really? Even if they DO have one it will easily fetch a dollar per lumen.

I know Klarus makes a couple that claim 4000 lumens or close...and their XT series uses what is almost the best UI out there in my opinion. I would have pushed Klarus lights more had they developed their latest system a year or two sooner and I had known about it.

But yeah, seriously I'm not sure there is anything that is producing 4k lumens in a handheld for the entire life of the battery. Even if it is only a few minutes. Most are gonna step down to keep things inside the light.
    Last edited by lightfooted; 01-25-2021 at 03:04 PM.

I can't speak to the credibility of the writer, but his runtime graphs suggest the Fenix LR35R will step down from 10k to about 4k for over 30 minutes with 2x21700's. I don't know how hot the handle or the button on top of the head get during that time. https://tacticalreviews.co.uk/?p=9482

You are not going to find anything 'compact' - which I take to mean a single-cell light with a maximum diameter of perhaps 150% cell diameter - that can sustain 4000 lumens. Far larger multi-cell lights in the 'beer can' formfactor can better achieve this, although I would still expect throttling down after a few minutes - Because Physics™; without active cooling which is difficult to implement effectively - to say nothing of seamlessly - in something that small.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

I would say Malkoff. But then I don't need four thousand lumens most of the time.

More like forty, lol
    ... is the archimedes peak

Quote Originally Posted by spoonrobot View Post
    i4000R and E4K are both 25 second timer stepdown for their turbo modes

T4K is 10 second timer for turbo

I don't think they qualify as 4000 lumens steady. That doesn't seem possible right now in a 21700 light but I'd love to see if you can find one. AFAIK the best performing 21700 light is the Zebralight SC700d that can probably hold close to 3000 lumens (but only in extreme cold) for ~25 minutes.

Hmm, yeah, 10 seconds is still at the level of a novelty. 25 seconds isn't great, but seems like enough time to get a variety of actual tasks done. I really like how low the SC700d's can go, but the UI seems like it too is trying to put too much into one button, even after setup/configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by SYZYGY View Post
    i don't see how a light that size passively cooled in air can output 4 klm steady with the current state of technology.

I really should've used more detail than "steady." That's my bad. I meant an output level that's intended to be practical and not just a talking point, like the TM10K which is limited to 7 seconds at a time, and another light I don't recall that can handle its max output only for a few seconds and then you have to top off the battery before it can do that again.

Quote Originally Posted by lightfooted View Post
    A Surefire putting 4000 lumens out the front? Really? Even if they DO have one it will easily fetch a dollar per lumen.

I know Klarus makes a couple that claim 4000 lumens or close...and their XT series uses what is almost the best UI out there in my opinion. I would have pushed Klarus lights more had they developed their latest system a year or two sooner and I had known about it.

But yeah, seriously I'm not sure there is anything that is producing 4k lumens in a handheld for the entire life of the battery. Even if it is only a few minutes. Most are gonna step down to keep things inside the light.

Yeah, the closest I found on SF's site was a rather large light capable of 2400 lumens for $1,370. I'll stick with my SRT9 that's only 2150 lumens but half the size and 1/10th the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty321 View Post
    I can't speak to the credibility of the writer, but his runtime graphs suggest the Fenix LR35R will step down from 10k to about 4k for over 30 minutes with 2x21700's. I don't know how hot the handle or the button on top of the head get during that time. https://tacticalreviews.co.uk/?p=9482

That LR35R is interesting. Looks about the size of my old TK35, and the UI seems actually decent. 50 lumens at its lowest, though, wow. Might combine well with a keychain light.

Quote Originally Posted by idleprocess View Post
    You are not going to find anything 'compact' - which I take to mean a single-cell light with a maximum diameter of perhaps 150% cell diameter - that can sustain 4000 lumens. Far larger multi-cell lights in the 'beer can' formfactor can better achieve this, although I would still expect throttling down after a few minutes - Because Physics™; without active cooling which is difficult to implement effectively - to say nothing of seamlessly - in something that small.

It doesn't need to do 4K for the entire battery life at a stretch, just enough that it can be used reasonably, without needing to count down the seconds in my head.

It doesn't need to do 4K for the entire battery life at a stretch, just enough that it can be used reasonably, without needing to count down the seconds in my head.
    Takes some appreciable heft to do that without active thermals, which I've never heard praised as being highly effective. My D4 is good for single-digit seconds on burst before throttling. The beefier D4S good for low double-digit seconds before throttling. A Vinh-modified beer can light (TN30vn I think) hits something like ~3k lumens max pushing XM-Ls hard; I've yet to determine how long it will produce that kind of light - but it's also hardly compact.

I suspect it's going to be another couple generations of LED R&D to advance both thermal ruggedness and reduce thermal sag before we can blast 4k lumens for minutes on end with anything resembling a compact flashlight.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

best thermals

Did someone say "thermals"?

P
    "O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!" He chortled in his joy.

Flashaholic*

Thrunite and Acebeam have the best UI in my opinion. While it has several output levels it's still very simple to use and can be used as a single mode or multimode light.
    Both these brands offer models who can provide around 4000lm steady for around an hour or more but they are large and heavy. Unfortunately steady 4000lm and compact is still not a working equation. Hardly not even 2000lm.
    Last edited by Swedpat; 01-26-2021 at 05:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swedpat View Post
    Thrunite and Acebeam have the best UI in my opinion. While it has several output levels it's still very simple to use and can be used as a single mode or multimode light.
    Both these brands offer models who can provide around 4000lm steady for around an hour or more but they are large and heavy. Unfortunately steady 4000lm and compact is still not a working equation. Hardly not even 2000lm.
    +

Acebeam, like a L30 GEN II.

21700 cell
    USB on board
    simple UI
    Strong output
    Good beam pattern

..if that light doesn't work for you, nothing will.