Charging with a spacer?

Tasky

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I had a quick search, but didn't find much about this specifically... I've heard mention of people using shorter unprotected cells in torches, with a neodymium magnet as a spacer. Nothing about charging them, though.

I have some Olight cells, specfically the ORB-16C05-10C, and I was wondering if these can be charged in something like a Nitecore D4.
Would that be safe?
Are there any downsides, ie much longer charge times or improper charging?

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't believe they can be recharged in a regular charger because both poles are at one end.

You can use a "slug" or dummy battery to charge other short batteries and some chargers used to come with them.

Tasky

Newly Enlightened
I don't believe they can be recharged in a regular charger because both poles are at one end.
I'm no expert, but looking at them, the 'base' has an exposed metal part inside the wrap, which I assumed was the casing and that it extended up to the top, effectively making the entire outer casing the negative pole, with the positive one being just the bit inside the insulator ring?

So using a spacer about 5mm diameter and with enough height, it would allow the positive to contact the charger terminal, without the negative being a problem... Do I have that right?

LRJ88

Enlightened
I'm no expert, but looking at them, the 'base' has an exposed metal part inside the wrap, which I assumed was the casing and that it extended up to the top, effectively making the entire outer casing the negative pole, with the positive one being just the bit inside the insulator ring?

So using a spacer about 5mm diameter and with enough height, it would allow the positive to contact the charger terminal, without the negative being a problem... Do I have that right?

That'll be alright, as long as the + and - contacts touch their respective parts it'll charge just like any other cell.

Latest posts