Flashlight Storage: Opinions?

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
At this point it becomes necessary for me to properly store my lights when they are not in use. I'm looking to store about 12 - 15 flashlights, 8 of which are 6-7in.

I was looking at peli cases, since that's what I use to store my pocket knives. The idea was to store the lights in an upright position in something like a Peli 1300, since this would be the most efficient use of available space. Problem is; the 1300, 1450 and 1500 are all not high enough to store a 150cm (6in) light upright. When subtracting the space in the lid, the inside has a usable height of only around 12cm. Anything larger than a 1500 is really too big for my purposes.

A case would have to have a height of around 20cm to be able to store 6-7in lights in the vertical position, assuming similar construction to Peli protector case.

Of cause I could simply store them laying down, at which point my choice would still be a Peli 1450/1500, but that would seem like a massive waste of space?

How do you do it? Anyone know of another brand that makes cases that fit my needs?

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Olumin, do you have Harbor Freight Tools stores in your area? They carry a line of "Pelican type" cases called "Apache". I picked up one of their smaller ones in November, although I still haven't figured out exactly what I want to put in it. Mine is an Apache 1800 case. The interior body has dimensions of roughly 8¼ inches long, by 5¾ inches wide, by 3inches high. This does not include the shallow space in the lid, that has "egg carton" shaped foam. The interior has 4 sheets of foam, threee of which are "pre-scored" so that you can create your own custom shaped cavities. Most companies make you pay extra for that option. The price was, I think, $12.99, which seemed like a pretty good deal. I'm not saying it is as rugged as the better-known brands, but it definitely seems tough enough for me. They had very few sizes of cases when I was there, so I don't know if they normally carry the full line or not. It might be helpful to check out the Harbor Freight Tools website.

BASwiss

Newly Enlightened
Olumin, do you have Harbor Freight Tools stores in your area? They carry a line of "Pelican type" cases called "Apache". I picked up one of their smaller ones in November, although I still haven't figured out exactly what I want to put in it. Mine is an Apache 1800 case. The interior body has dimensions of roughly 8¼ inches long, by 5¾ inches wide, by 3inches high. This does not include the shallow space in the lid, that has "egg carton" shaped foam. The interior has 4 sheets of foam, threee of which are "pre-scored" so that you can create your own custom shaped cavities. Most companies make you pay extra for that option. The price was, I think, $12.99, which seemed like a pretty good deal. I'm not saying it is as rugged as the better-known brands, but it definitely seems tough enough for me. They had very few sizes of cases when I was there, so I don't know if they normally carry the full line or not. It might be helpful to check out the Harbor Freight Tools website.

I use these exact cases in my work truck. They hold most of my electronics I do not want to get dusty. They have definitely been put through the test, and work great for me.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Those Apache cases, and most of the other Peli-copies, tend to pretty closely mimic existing peli cases. Unfortunately, none of the Apache cases seem to be high enough to store flashlights vertically. And for them being an inexpensive alternative; I don't feel too bad spending a hundred euros or so on a genuine peli case, when im gonna be storing well more than a thousand euros worth of flashlights in it anyway.

Scotty321

Newly Enlightened
Those Apache cases, and most of the other Peli-copies, tend to pretty closely mimic existing peli cases. Unfortunately, none of the Apache cases seem to be high enough to store flashlights vertically. And for them being an inexpensive alternative; I don't feel too bad spending a hundred euros or so on a genuine peli case, when im gonna be storing well more than a thousand euros worth of flashlights in it anyway.

Have you looked at DSLR lense cases?

Another option is drone cases.

You could also probably cobble something together like a tool box and some of that foam with squares you can pluck to your desired specs.

Last edited:

BitGeek

Newly Enlightened
SKB makes some sweet cases as well. I love pelican, but I like SKB even better. Their military line is top notch. I think the designation for those cases was 3r and available in dozens of sizes. They are priced like pelicans retail, but I found the exact case I wanted and found it online brand new for a few hundred less. This was a big case...just saying I think you could find a killer option through them at an amazing price and like your case as much as the lights in it! Best wishes on your search

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

1996alnl2

Newly Enlightened
You guys are making me look bad, I just dump the batteries out and put them in a drawer. S#it did I say that out loud?

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you looked at DSLR lense cases?

Another option is drone cases.

You could also probably cobble something together like a tool box and some of that foam with squares you can pluck to your desired specs.

The Drone cases Ive seen are usually too large for my purposes. Which brand would you recommend that is of similar quality?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
To be honest.... Plastic storage box from Staples or any other Office Supply store. No batts. inside the lights. Wrap each one in bubble-wrap. Also easily found in Staples. And done! You can stack lights on top of each other, so no need for the largest storage boxes they sell there. I mean, if we're talking storing them away for a long while; this solution works and is easy on the wallet.

Tasky

Newly Enlightened
How do you do it?

How are you at woodwork?
I was thinking of knocking up a shelving unit to store (or display) my more precious lights, along with some other bits of kit. It would be easy enough to make that into a case, similar to a Carpenters' toolbox with a drop-front and storage for all the accessories.

You could also easily line it with foam, or felt or whatever you liked.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
To be honest.... Plastic storage box from Staples or any other Office Supply store. No batts. inside the lights. Wrap each one in bubble-wrap. Also easily found in Staples. And done! You can stack lights on top of each other, so no need for the largest storage boxes they sell there. I mean, if we're talking storing them away for a long while; this solution works and is easy on the wallet.

Maybe I should clarify: Im talking about temporary storage, i.e. a place to neatly store them when not currently in use. They very well might be used the next day. Im not looking to archive anything.

wayben

Newly Enlightened
I use Plano fishing tackle boxes, Model 3500 an Model 3600. The 3500 for small, pocketable EDC flashlights. The 3600 for flashlights up to 6 3/4 inches long and 1 1/2 inches around. That fits the vast majority of my flashlights. Granted they aren't foam or velvet lined, but I don't see my flashlights as being that fragile.

markr6

Flashaholic
You guys are fancy. Mine are just standing on various nights stands/tables. Mostly all on one shelf in the kitchen for easy access since that's sort of the center of the home.

Tasky

Newly Enlightened
Maybe I should clarify: Im talking about temporary storage, i.e. a place to neatly store them when not currently in use. They very well might be used the next day. Im not looking to archive anything.

As above - Make your own drop-front toolbox. Can be as simple or fancy as you like. The front hinges down to access the line of torches all lined up ready to choose, in perfectly sized rack slots (like a tiny gun cabinet). Grab any cells or proprietary charging cables from one of the small drawers below. Heck, you could even grab the carry handle and take the lot with you, if you can't decide.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
As above - Make your own drop-front toolbox. Can be as simple or fancy as you like. The front hinges down to access the line of torches all lined up ready to choose, in perfectly sized rack slots (like a tiny gun cabinet). Grab any cells or proprietary charging cables from one of the small drawers below. Heck, you could even grab the carry handle and take the lot with you, if you can't decide.

I'm a watchmaker, not a carpenter, captain. In all seriousness, I'm not good with woodwork, and considering the effort and time and probable subpar outcome, I'd rather just buy something, carry handle already included. To be honest, I think I'm just too lazy. Im OK with that.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can buy pick and pull foam and put it in whatever box you want. Customizable however you want it to be.