Compact, very bright thrower

KxD

Newly Enlightened
Quick summary - my use case for this light includes adventures in a very large, open area that is completely absent of any lighting with line of sight of over a mile in some places. I'm looking for a relatively compact (maybe soda can size) thrower that can do a decent job of brightly illuminating objects a long way away for short periods when necessary, but can also step down to much more modest light levels to illuminate the path ahead when walking.

From what I've seen so far, the upcoming Imalent R60C looks like a good fit in terms of form factor, max brightness and runtime at lower levels but I figured I'd come to ask if anyone has alternative recommendations that will do a similar job.

Thanks everyone.

I've completed the questionnaire below:

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

2) Budget:
<= $200

3) Format:
I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:
SMALL/MEDIUM

5) Emitter/Light source:
LED

6) Manufacturer:
I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What power source do you want to use?
Li-ion

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option
USB/Adapter (no battery removal)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).
I want search and rescue type illumination (800+ lumens).
Burst/turbo acceptable

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.
Wide / Narrow Throw

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
50-500 yards/meters

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).
90-120 minutes

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.
Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):
I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.
I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)

14)Material/Finish/Coating
Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).

15) Water resistance
IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)

16) Storage conditions
In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.
Holster / Wrist/Neck Lanyard - nice to have, not essential

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quick summary - my use case for this light includes adventures in a very large, open area that is completely absent of any lighting with line of sight of over a mile in some places. I'm looking for a relatively compact (maybe soda can size) thrower that can do a decent job of brightly illuminating objects a long way away for short periods when necessary, but can also step down to much more modest light levels to illuminate the path ahead when walking.

The main issue you face here is. Throw (or distance) is normally achieved by smaller LEDs, as these have a higher surface brightness. These then need to be in a large optic (reflector or TIR lenses). So are not normally as compact.

This gives two side effects:

-lumen output is usually lower
-the beam profile is not very good up close, as the hotspot may be small and intense with a dull spill beam

Ultimately this means getting something good for distance and up close use is quite a challenge.

For example, most multi emitter lights can have very good lumen output. But nearly always a single emitter light of the same size will have more throw.

So you have a choice of more throw and less useful for walking and up close or less throw and more versatile.

Lights that spring to mind.

Lumintop FW21 X9L - This is an oddball light as it uses the SBT.90 LED, this is a large LED without a dome. So it makes a lot of lumens, but also pretty good for throw. The light is compact but with good run times and I'd have though might be one of the best balances between throw and versatility.

I don't have one, so only voicing opinions on what I've seen.

One of my current favourite lights at the moment is the Astrolux EA01 with the SST-40 LED. It isn't a pure thrower, but for its size still has pretty good beam distance. The the thing that impresses me the most is the breadth of ability. It has a big TIR optic, that will allow it to be nice to walk with, but still light stuff up at 200 yards.

I do have some more dedicated 'throwers'. The Noctigon KR1 for instance. Awesome little light with 100,000cd in a tiny package. But it is only 1 x 18650 powered. And with the W2 emitter sucks 8amps on turbo. I also find the beam is not very nice for walking, due to the points I made above. I also have a modded C8 with the W1 Osram LED in, again the throw is really good. But the W1 LED gives an even smaller beam and duller spill.

Really I suspect anything with the SBT.90 in is going to fit the bill best for you. But the Lumintop is about the smallest you can get. Most are a size class bigger.

Thinking a bit harder, the Manker MK37 looks like it could do the trick. A slightly scaled up EA01 type of light, but using the SBT.90 :D

KxD

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for that very extensive reply, Chicken Drumstick, lots of stuff to look into there :thumbsup:

hanst

Newly Enlightened

Have you looked at the Olight Warrior X Turbo? It's quite compact and will light it up almost a kilometer away. It will step down to 150lm, perfect for walking.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I liked my Nitecore P30. Small enough to wear on my belt, yet able to throw light on a grain bin several hundred feet away that was also being illuminated by several all night lights. A very distinct center beam, but the spill was just right to not interfere with seeing the far-away objects while illuminating the immediate area as well. At lower power levels did a very good job of lighting the local area'
I had the 18650 version, but I believe the current 21700 version only changed the cell size for increased run time.
The Lumintop GT Mini would be another light to look at.