• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

What was your SECOND McGizmo?

Jfowler

Newly Enlightened
Perhaps my assumption is unfair, but I'd imagine that if you bought your first McGizmo after 2/7/2009, your first exposure to Don's lights was probably a Haiku. I may be 10 years late to that party, but I got started with a Haiku last month (and a Sapphire- but that doesn't even count-right?).

I went with the extended play 16650, XP-L HI 4200, HIVE. It's been a few weeks, and all of my other lights are now sold or on the chopping block. I probably don't need to list each little thing that I love. Let's just say it all comes together, and it's perfect.

So with so much space free in my flashlight case, I get to dive deeper into the McGizmo rabbit hole. I know I am going to order a 1x123 Pak to make my Haiku "the Haiku", but just ordering a Pak seems like a tease. So I am contemplating my second light. It is going to be a HIVE driver, and it will probably be 1x123 format.

What was your second McGizmo? Why did you make that choice?

Vemice

Enlightened
A Sapphire.
NxyQGiXl.jpg

Jfowler

Newly Enlightened
Hey - I said, the Sapphire doesn't count...

I'm between the Mule, Sundrop, and Mahi (Mahi w/ Tri-Pak).

archimedes

Flashaholic
The Haiku was pretty far down the line for me, simply speaking chronologically ....

#1 - Sapphire

#2 - SunDrop

#3 - Mule (?)

(then can't remember exact order, but I think I may have even had a Makai before a Haiku)

I also had started collecting older Aleph parts before getting my Haiku.

This is not necessarily the order which I'd choose, in retrospect, however.

Of the modern releases, the SD is my favorite, but it is also somewhat specialized in function.

Last edited:

troutpool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine was either Lunasol 20 or Mule. I sold the Lunasol but I still have the Mule, and I use it for photography. I never bought a Haiku, but I have a couple of 3-mode Aleph builds.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first McGizmo light is the Aluminium PDs, great light, beautiful beam pattern and my edc of choice for many years now. Second light is the Ti-PD-Mule, great as it is a wall of light, perfect for close quarter usage. And finally a Ti Haiku in XPG and 3S. This trio works for me and IMO the PDs with the SSC led has the best beam pattern with virtually no artifact. Although it has meager lumens on high but for me they are quality lumens and I do appreciate it. The Haiku is the prettiest of the three however, PDs is my pick due to its smaller form factor, simpler interface and beautiful light output.

fWsWpyN.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, unfortunately I no longer have any of my McGizmos as I've slimmed down to just a couple customs these days.

My exposure though was Haiku, Makai, Haiku, Sapphire, Mahi. My thoughts of the Haiku remain quite high despite parting. The Makai has a special place for me though in stock form it is woefully underpowered for the lovely reflector it has.

Speaking of which, something I did with the Makai that I had was set it up for 16500s with a H17F driver.
sy7dzwgFM6QCxLz6aU0jHExaADFM5MDDSTkazWFagrTH7PHAaiFk1fHGUnggpcaJIeSALyfMG8IxioGNs506AKpGWOONOkzytxeE6bnjKGOTGNb6t8Hfetda7kByO3U3UTFE3loZlZmz0q818C7lbdmBj4P8OmJIIWCdmN54UW465eQ657OGhrXl9AWJBOQhsE66tHbfDILSq3HyuqsLUiEHILVyWvptELjtNZaP9v26gmtLGhnm2xyXCQvcBJloP5kf4rBcbZ1iFNk5hraVMY8Lnvmc7i1TtzZZR3b3w_t11Dhf2J6t7PBqDFFu_fnQsokemVqlq-C7ZBxuWFu9S6gjK0WeAV1EMn7J3azXYC1XgWJN7fd1gwOcrBaOsnNF_mYoHEBrF9je1j77jAHM1klE6wSEA-9YK3VnnujZz6AoHp80iyOqcoSWjvE5UFvjSMhl6x47VMu1X-3AozZ-5NSJvFofZ_kcSHSEmQbswQP-XL56j7V8GBc8VyK1nYUCoHyJIt8J1BxYZCDAY-Nelw8IuiTjRvhKxKy5yskv67Sx3igZb6nuXWkP5V__t5_3cYDYc1MSJ0G2daViFbgv9iijnr82cAi0Jh-hc9M7a5JtI6xqpc-ZZGxngFRelpiDb9sBQZmczHJXOqpqbj_2DXNtCZYlH81U4_exLzlz7HPv3_ElGjqU2j9wqlktYec=w1854-h1390-no
8NEjT0AhK2uDKWWnUhFxZobKx3MJIwT5KtIe1CXMy4baUg5ePY62CT_sbBD8_BnFpc_vPO-pDaxBF-sh03Jsold8knfChMj0XfGrO66Ol12FcC70E9RoIUW-wHNbkrBXeVlXwAVhNvOGwY5W1jcdE8kGUlAdRzfNOwpqp4eJDm03YKMWY9Vg8-nka9YW5tDHHUIhISbCL9_8n_XgTqHO4rcBobdIAuKJbQokjDWOYFyBl0nDyEFjxEDv9RsLcZO0GXKT6fi6pJ9MKBZJx9Y-e0oyAkeK47G1yBUNtcwmO_r0jk8Z7UVrDsavKRrHeVeK3XjuuNtrB7GVC78S2MvDT9ygD4CmVU6a9PKbKePhmzLdGPNvheykQSm6qbOCKTQn-Nku23jgR2gsXxXLQrkgfpV1T3TAQXqo1kTb44Wlhy2-c-Q9xh8igydxPioyHTGZQYP-VUaHP_iCQ8wD0qK4r9QveI8PJ9Ic0Kk4OSXnzchnpvMAw4sHyBVmw6-PxgE6ouawMvhaDNmn9q488QaeOK_4Zpp5wC4tKUon31gzrhsVXOMVRz-ZLeJVhIlorjzztjNwvxhIYTI6-pAv5XBTozK0JluTZmnQIcSpLYUAhaZ2Pm85cjpMyCTcyge8vxEFJjBYWHNG_fEPIRlYxuDy1pGLKbIl1eYzRnbaodDIE7_aWJkN-6xq5xLLkJnpp5k=w1854-h1390-no
j6edCbr45A4Ej4oM_0Adf9hRt3-BksoLlW_sKh02nqFnUXYwhhkmfcqtvtnQTlF8Kspbp_Deh8tTg1oC6LJDUwIKFkoe0oBwPrApqT4tSvwOyxv0dSBl8Zes6Ubo87Oi3FekFJQ7mL3-oB7O1B27yrtASTqpUmbq3xgvxCcHAZ8tukUNGxs555rkkRyFE6PQ9HTn5-8kuxIt3NW9h5e6lOaHP2UUDvLrlJHbIdm-FQo_OXJMfy8GrnSPnylx7NOaUj3xkEyv9ecE_jZIZuZARxTLHvnVgR6ap7kLAm2GL3JAWzpFmxlOmht0KWG05VLFQ2KJWiLwcp_BafA5-bCmvn51buvhfG40TsbM_o1mRIw71utuiRmRH1YLo2gdtRNh3trhYMHHNhWHk4fGMHvqHcxzzH_vcQ5XKnSEO9kguCiUuLZMEjQlKyjof1L_pPNDiQWpgPuhRU_sOpiHXar_RDEUW9RSXgfrpBvUsC3hvYDqihG1sBsGyFfO_eZWbaJXrvlp4AMf_PB5HQOx53QCptvOnURKOQJpcNLxqttMpQns7ivN_ajbXSaJKie7f2PqT0dYZMqS8bzDPQzuepRKhAwlt2qgBcNxkd8wQneHEWqlUyyw5I0VU_wkqYEKnXRi_SsuT6GMlrd96b4Dc40hwrn9jJlRR4n00BEwCew_9wC0U_IJuPKQ3WqxBZysXS8=w1854-h1390-no

Jfowler

Newly Enlightened
If I can answer my own question...

I have a 119V HIVE Mule 1xAA on order (and threw in a 1x123 Pak for my Haiku for good measure).

There was a thread from 2018 started by Don, and someone eventually asked about his daily carry. I'd hate to misquote, but I am fairly certain the response was a Sapphire on the keys and a 1xAA Mule in the pocket (reflector lights by the doors, and in the cars and boats).

Good enough for Don, good enough for me. And as an aside, the HIVE driver does not seem to get nearly enough credit. Starts off set to a responsible 1A, Base mode can access presets for anywhere from 1-5 well spaced levels, all of which can be stepped up or down. Memory options... battery optimizing... you can regulate amps... the thing is ridiculous.

A couple interesting thoughts above. I've read a 1000 posts from Archimedes, and the appreciation of Sundrop does not go unnoticed. I think it will be number three. 119V HIVE 1xAA Sundrop sounds about right.

To expand the thought experiment, I'd adhere to a 4 light limit (Sapphire doesn't count), so if the Sundrop is next, it leaves 1 more decision to make.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got 5 pd-s (s), but the first one that caught my eye was an oil slick mule, they were sold out at the time so I got a regular mule. Got my oil slick later. My haiku was bead blast that later got dlc coated - quite unique and has seen a lot of use.

archimedes

Flashaholic
.... I've read a 1000 posts from Archimedes ....

Really !? :eek:

.... To expand the thought experiment, I'd adhere to a 4 light limit (Sapphire doesn't count), so if the Sundrop is next, it leaves 1 more decision to make.

As others have said, don't overlook the older vintage classics, like the LunaSol or (another of my absolute favorites) the PD Mule.

luxlunatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
My second was the classic Ti-PD with the LUXIII UXOK emitter, back when you had a tint choice of LED.
I scored it shortly after the original run of titanium PD's back in 2006.
I really liked the aluminum version (which I had first) and loved it in Ti! Fantastic user interface and 2 well spaced stages, not to mention bullet proof with an excellent "tool" aesthetic.
I've had a bunch come and go over the years. Ones I've had:
Al-PD, Ti-PD, A-1, A-19, Ti XR27-C, Ti-PS-S, Ti S27-Cx2, Al S27-PD, Ti PD-MULE, Ti A-19, Ti S27-PD, Ti LS27-PD, Ti LS20-PD, Ti-PDS w/ AlTin coating, HD-45, Makai, Haiku, Aqua Mule and one of the 8 prototypes for the 27 head, the 27LT-Proto (2 cell, tootsie-roll body).
Currently have: Al 27-LT, LS27, McLuxIII-T, Chrome Al-PD, 27L-Proto PD and a one-off prototype from Don, the 3xR-27-Cx2 (triple rebel LED, 27 head, 2 cell ribbed body).
Love all of them (of course some more than others) and they all hit their mark for their intended task, but not a dud in the bunch. I miss all the ones I had but the LS27-PD is still my overall favorite for looks, user interface and the lovely dual beam.

Jfowler

Newly Enlightened
Lunasol 20 would be hard to pass up on. Looking through history, they don't seem to pop up too often. Maybe 4 times in 2019 and maybe once last year. Usually get snagged quickly too.

I have to study up a bit on the piston drive lights.

luxlunatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lunasol 20 would be hard to pass up on. Looking through history, they don't seem to pop up too often. Maybe 4 times in 2019 and maybe once last year. Usually get snagged quickly too.

I have to study up a bit on the piston drive lights.

That is true, the LS20 rarely comes up for sale, and when one does, it's gone in a snap!

sidfishez

Newly Enlightened
My first McGizmo was a Haiku. Second one was a mule and the third one was another Haiku. From there it was down the rabbit hole. :grin2:

RustyInsanity

Newly Enlightened
My second was the classic Ti-PD with the LUXIII UXOK emitter, back when you had a tint choice of LED.
I scored it shortly after the original run of titanium PD's back in 2006.
I really liked the aluminum version (which I had first) and loved it in Ti! Fantastic user interface and 2 well spaced stages, not to mention bullet proof with an excellent "tool" aesthetic.
I've had a bunch come and go over the years. Ones I've had:
Al-PD, Ti-PD, A-1, A-19, Ti XR27-C, Ti-PS-S, Ti S27-Cx2, Al S27-PD, Ti PD-MULE, Ti A-19, Ti S27-PD, Ti LS27-PD, Ti LS20-PD, Ti-PDS w/ AlTin coating, HD-45, Makai, Haiku, Aqua Mule and one of the 8 prototypes for the 27 head, the 27LT-Proto (2 cell, tootsie-roll body).
Currently have: Al 27-LT, LS27, McLuxIII-T, Chrome Al-PD, 27L-Proto PD and a one-off prototype from Don, the 3xR-27-Cx2 (triple rebel LED, 27 head, 2 cell ribbed body).
Love all of them (of course some more than others) and they all hit their mark for their intended task, but not a dud in the bunch. I miss all the ones I had but the LS27-PD is still my overall favorite for looks, user interface and the lovely dual beam.

Would you be willing to part ways with your least favorite PD model?

experimentjon

Newly Enlightened
I was curious to see if my memory served me right, and indeed it did.

First: 123pak Haiku - 3S XML
Second: AApak Haiku - 3S AA 119v

Those were the good innocent days when 123 primaries were expensive, I had a bunch of Eneloops from Costco, and 80ish lumens of high CRI light were all I ever needed in my pocket. :)

Also, looking at my paypal records, looks like the secondary market prices back then (around 2014/15 or so) when I bought those on have stayed just about exactly flat to today's market!