Need help choosing a new 4 bay charger

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Time to upgrade. For years I've been getting by on old chargers or single cell. Inefficient, basic chargers. No more.
I'm looking at 4 bay intelligent chargers that can handle up to a 21700 protected cell.
What I have found so far are the XTAR VX4, Vapcell S4+, Opus BT-C3100, or maybe Nitecore. I don't want to spend big $ to get the MC3000 or some such.
I tend to over analyze so I'm stuck. If you have any experience with these models, I would like to hear it.
Thanks.

Last edited:

Burgess

Flashaholic
Last edited:

XTAR Light

Enlightened
Vendor
This VC4L charger supports USB-A to USB-C and also USB-C to USB-C cables. If your phone charging cord with Type C, can also be compatible. :)

* NEWS FLASH * ! ! !

Xtar just released a new 4-bay charger
which can handle *protected* 21700 cells !

Has USB-C input, also !

* Edited to add . . . . *

Apparently, it has a "Special proprietary" USB-C input port ! ! ! Standard USB-C input cable may NOT work ? ? ?
< just a heads-up here >

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?473701-%26%2312304%3BNew-Product%26%2312305%3BXTAR-VC4L-Charger

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
This VC4L charger supports USB-A to USB-C and also USB-C to USB-C cables. If your phone charging cord with Type C, can also be compatible. :)

Any updates on the VP2? Have been told it's being discontinued, which means, no more charger in Xtar's lineup that support multi voltage charge (3.2/3.7/3.8V).

razor541

Newly Enlightened
I've had good luck with my Opus BT-C3400 so far! Use it with my eneloops and my small handful of 18650 cells for my Fenix lights.

Jed Cooper

Newly Enlightened
I've had good luck with my Opus BT-C3400 so far! Use it with my eneloops and my small handful of 18650 cells for my Fenix lights.

I have two Opus BT-C3100's and they've worked well for me. I like the 1A charge and discharge per bay.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you drill a hole in the bottom of the case, it'll do everything and do it fairly well.

It has 200mA/300mA charging rates so it's acceptable for the smaller cells, one might use.

I have two, as well as 20+ chargers, so I have some experience.

Chris

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went with the Gyrfalcon All-44 over the Vapcell S4 for my dad. Can charge as low as 100mA and 250mA. It's pretty nice.

jm79

Newly Enlightened
Good day, would be getting a charger for my unprotected samsung 30Q 18650s and AAA, AA batteries. Not a techie guy that much so I prefer and plug and play type that can charge my batteries with overcharging and safety protection. Mains are a plus. Any suggestion about the following and best of all I have chose regardless of price?

Nitecore D4/I4
Xtar VC4/X4
Liitokala Engineer Lii500

Thank you.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good day, would be getting a charger for my unprotected samsung 30Q 18650s and AAA, AA batteries. Not a techie guy that much so I prefer and plug and play type that can charge my batteries with overcharging and safety protection. Mains are a plus. Any suggestion about the following and best of all I have chose regardless of price?

Nitecore D4/I4
Xtar VC4/X4
Liitokala Engineer Lii500
IMHO, if you're not a techie then it's even more important to invest on a better charger. Battery charging is not a fun thing; instead, having the job done safety without issues (eg. fire hazards) is more important.

You mention you want to charge AAA (and AA) as well. If that's the case then the Xtars are OUT -- the minimum charging current on those is around 500mA, not suitable for AAA. In fact if you want to effectively charge your NiMH AA/AAAs then you should get a separate, NiMH/NiCD-only charger and NOT these combo LiIon/NiMH ones, as the NiMH charging strategy on such LiIon units are not the best.

Nitecore: well I don't have the specs but their build quality is only so-so AFAIK.
Liitokaka: Some claim good experience with that but YMMV. Can't comment on this brand either since I haven't used one.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no problem charging Eneloop AAA on my Xtar at 500mA. It's well under their C rating of 750mAh and they do not get more than warm after a charge.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no problem charging Eneloop AAA on my Xtar at 500mA. It's well under their C rating of 750mAh and they do not get more than warm after a charge.
But sooner or later you may accumulate enough internal resistance on such battery to the point where it cannot be used anymore. I charge mine at up to 400mA (and discharge at 300-400mA) via the Maha C9000/Pro.

jm79

Newly Enlightened
IMHO, if you're not a techie then it's even more important to invest on a better charger. Battery charging is not a fun thing; instead, having the job done safety without issues (eg. fire hazards) is more important.

You mention you want to charge AAA (and AA) as well. If that's the case then the Xtars are OUT -- the minimum charging current on those is around 500mA, not suitable for AAA. In fact if you want to effectively charge your NiMH AA/AAAs then you should get a separate, NiMH/NiCD-only charger and NOT these combo LiIon/NiMH ones, as the NiMH charging strategy on such LiIon units are not the best.

Nitecore: well I don't have the specs but their build quality is only so-so AFAIK.
Liitokaka: Some claim good experience with that but YMMV. Can't comment on this brand either since I haven't used one.

any particular model on a better charger that not in my list. appreciate it. thanks.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
any particular model on a better charger that not in my list. appreciate it. thanks.
Opus BT-C3100/3400. Not exactly stellar in build quality but still does its job well. Has rear fan to dissipate heat. IMO the 3400 seems to have slightly better build quality than the 3100, in addition to slightly optimized firmware.

There are other lesser known chargers that may suit your needs. I suggest you visit dc-workshop.com to take a look.

jm79

Newly Enlightened
Opus BT-C3100/3400. Not exactly stellar in build quality but still does its job well. Has rear fan to dissipate heat. IMO the 3400 seems to have slightly better build quality than the 3100, in addition to slightly optimized firmware.

There are other lesser known chargers that may suit your needs. I suggest you visit dc-workshop.com to take a look.
Awesome. Many thanks! :)

Latest posts