Old SF ED2 head recommendations

Scotty321

Newly Enlightened
I've used my old ED2 LED (A20806 listed on the body; first/original LED version) for domestic traveling and motorcycle trips for the last 20 years or so (for emergency situations). IIRC, the "hi" is 200 lumens. Although I've accumulated more flashlights over the years, I think it would be nice to upgrade the head. I don't know if they've changed the threading on the newer SF lights though, so I'm worried about compatibility. I am looking for recommendations on a head that is available today (or at least delivered within a month of ordering). I would also prefer something that matches that era black and has crenulations on the bezel but not required.

==================Flashlight Recommendation Checklist================

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

__X__This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

__X__Up to $200.

3) Format:

E2 compatible head only.

4) Size:

As small as possible that fits my era E-body.

5) Emitter/Light source:

__X__LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

__X__I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
__X__I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).

7) What power source do you want to use?

***I would prefer something that has usable 400+ lumen when using 16650, but still compatible with 2xCR123's.

__X__I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Lithium batteries CR123
__X__I intend to use Rechargeable cells 16650

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option

__X__I don't care

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

__X__I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).

____SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.

***I don't care whether it has a turbo mode or not.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

*** I would prefer something with a little bit of throw but no defined hotspot... my Eagletac D3X beam style is perfect for me... also the beam on my D25LC2 is OK... they use orange peel reflectors.

__X__Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.
__X__Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
__X__Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work) ***rarely for this light
__X__Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
__X__5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
__X__30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
__X__50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)***under 75 yards more common
__X__150+ yards (I am searching from a helicopter)***rarely for this light

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

***If single output, ~400+ lumen for ~1.5+ hours, or if multiple output, low level at 5-25 lumen for 8+ hours with turbo/high @400+ at ~30 minutes including step down is fine.

____Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)
____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
__X__90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
____3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Not Important (A "night-stand" light).
____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).
__X__Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
__X__Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).
____I don't know.

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

***Head only.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

***If multiple levels, first mode "hi" required on turn on... if that's turbo thats fine.

____A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a programmable light.
____I want a selector ring.
____I want a strobe mode. (Oscillating pattern to confuse/blind aka "Police Mode")
____I want SOS mode. (blinks in ...---... emergency pattern)
____I want a beacon mode. (Regular flashes at full power to show location.)
__X__I don't care.
____I don't know.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Plastic/composite body (this may limit your choices significantly).
__X__Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).
____Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
____Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________.

15) Water resistance
____None needed
____IPX4 (Splash resistant)
__X__IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)
____IPX8 (Submersible to greater than 1 meter for 4 hours)

16) Storage conditions
____In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)
__X__Emergency kit (long standby periods)
__X__Automobile glove-box (wide temperature swings, long standby periods, critical reliability)
__X__Other___Traveling emergency light in unknown conditions_(I have a separate travel light for non-emergency use)___

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

____Red filter (for preserving night vision).
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________).
____Dedicated R/G/B secondary LEDs.
____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
____Pocket/belt clip
____Holster
____Wrist/Neck Lanyard
__X__Crenulated bezel ***preferred but not required
____Non-sparking, Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments