Optimal voltage for Li-ion batteries’ storage

XTAR Light

Enlightened
Vendor
Li-ion batteries should be stored in a charged state, maintain a voltage above 2.5V before they start to break down and decompose. According to the Li-ion batteries' chemical features, as permanent capacity loss is greatest at elevated temperatures with the batteries voltage maintained at 4.2 V (fully charged), you also couldn't maintain them at fully charged 4.2V. For maximizing storage life, ideally, it is best to top-up the batteries at 40% of its standard (4.2V) charged state, around 3.7V. The 40% charge assures a stable condition even if self-discharge takes some of the battery's energy. Most battery manufacturers also store Li-ion batteries at 15°C (59°F) and at 40 % charge.

If your Li-ion batteries are not used for long time, don't forget to maintain them every 2-3 months. And how to store your Li-ion batteries at optimal voltage easily? Actually, some smart chargers can help a lot. Such as the vc8 charger, there is STORE mode setting (for CH1-CH4). You can put the Li-ion batteries on the slots, choose store mode, then the charger will charge or discharge the batteries to 3.7V automatically. It's simple to operate, help you to maximize the batteries' lifespan and save energy easily.

Do you like this storing function on XTAR VC8 charger? :)

brfFOGQ.jpg
[/IMG]

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally prefer to keep all cells in storage topped off at 4.2V and ready to go at all times. Li-ions are relatively inexpensive and degradation only means that it is time to buy fresh new cells every 1-2 years :)

...don't forget to maintain them every 2-3 months.

Thank you and will do. Backups in storage are topped off every 3 months :thumbsup:

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Storage is a cool feature and definitely has its uses. I try to store mine around 80% if I don't regularly need them. This helps minimize capacity loss but still leaves enough "juice" for emergency use if needed...