What happened to 17670 powered flashlights?

ToeMoss

Newly Enlightened
Bought three Ultrafire 17670 rechargeable batteries for an old Surefire M6 modification.
For some reason, won't work like the AW's that power the light now.

Don't see any lights that run on them. Did they all disappear?
Any recommendation on what Flashlights I can use these batteries for?
I figure something designed for two CR123A batteries is a good start, but I know there can be compatibility issues.

Tom

nbp

Flashaholic
I think they have been replaced with 16650. Some generously bored 16650 lights may be able to use the 17670. My new Quark 16650 seems to have a tiny bit of rattle. I gave my 17670s to a buddy - I'll have to ask him if they fit in there. The Mk III is a great light.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
A lot Surefire lights that are designed for 2xCR123 runs well on 1x17670. From what I know 17670 cells are noadays kind of exotic. There are also no new 17670 cells with higher capacity.
Today I use 16650 (Keeppower) cells that have comparable values in compare to the old AW17670 cells.

nbp

Flashaholic
I suppose some 18650 lights should be able to use them too if they have springy enough springs to accomodate the extra length.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't waste my money buying a light specifically to fit Ultrafire cells.
By the reviews and reports on here they tend to be unreliable, underpowered, overrated and sometimes downright dangerous.
As a case in point...
https://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/UltraFire SJ18650 6000mAh (Black) UK.html
Read the conclusion....
Conclusion

There batteries are not very impressive, they can drive a low power flashlight, but only about half the time a good battery can.
Also remember that these batteries are unprotected.

I will rate this as a bad cell.

P

Last edited:

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suggest bore out the flashlight body to fit 18650 cells.
This cells are much higher capacity and you need to recharge twice less than 17670 and much easier to find a reliable one.
If boring your flashlight is not a choice for you, then use 16650 which will work instead of Junkfire cells.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I'd guess that some factories produce true naked cells measuring 17mm by 67mm, most 17670s are just Sanyo/Samsung 16650s with button tops and PCBs added, to take them to their labeled dimension.

Chris

ToeMoss

Newly Enlightened
I wouldn't waste my money buying a light specifically to fit Ultrafire cells.
By the reviews and reports on here they tend to be unreliable, underpowered, overrated and sometimes downright dangerous.
As a case in point...
https://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/UltraFire SJ18650 6000mAh (Black) UK.html
Read the conclusion....
Conclusion

There batteries are not very impressive, they can drive a low power flashlight, but only about half the time a good battery can.
Also remember that these batteries are unprotected.

I will rate this as a bad cell.

P

The cells I bought are protected